Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast

Thread: DataSIM: one voice contract and Data SIM Cards that share a Contract Data Bundle

Ah well, it's been a few weeks and I still do NOT have a twinned sim. Sulk. V3G, you still on this forum? No replies to my emails ...

Vodacom Representative

Quote Originally Posted by biometrics View Post
    Ah well, it's been a few weeks and I still do NOT have a twinned sim. Sulk. V3G, you still on this forum? No replies to my emails ...
    Did forward you mail, will need to chase it up again....

Ok, it's been five weeks now. Needless to say I am getting pretty frustrated.

Vodacom Representative

Ok, just got of the phone with engineering. Here's the lowdown....

Firstly some technical stuff.

If you have more than one sim on the same account, only one can be active on the system at any given point in time. The last SIM that activates, will take control, disabling he first one.

Within the above constraints, TwinCall was developed, where you can have 2 SIMs on the same voice contract but only the last SIM will be active. If you turn both SIMS on, you get unpredictable results with SIMs turning on and off, seemingly randomly (as they re-acquire the network).

This worked fine for the intended application, for example having one mobile and one car phone with only one active at a time.

The same concept applies to data SIMs, only one can be active at the same time.

TwinCall on Data-only contracts was never (and still is not) a product you can buy over the counter. There was a technical anomaly in the systems that allowed data sims to work at the same time, but still with unpredictable results.

The answer was to take two or three sims but link them at billing level, not at network level. Now you can have two sims that allows you to share a bundle. This is called MultiSIM and is charged at a extra R9 per SIM.

Using MultiSIM is actually a bit of a jippo as the intended application was to have a phone and a datacard on the same contract.

So, you're not going to get any joy asking a retail shop for twincall on a data contract, they don't have it as a product.

I guess you could get a voice contract (4U?), get a twinsim on it and then strap a bundle to it.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by vodacom3g View Post
    The same concept applies to data SIMs, only one can be active at the same time.
    Does the "data sim" also cost R9 per month as the "Multisim?" I have not seen the Multisim on the services list on Vodacom4me, only data sim.

Why I'm asking is that my friend requested a "data sim" from Vodacom SP. He pays R9 per month. I am using the data sim and he is using his original sim. We have no connection problems, i.e. both sims active all the time and both sims can make data connections at the same time. Also our data usage is coming off the same bundle.

Vodacom Representative

Quote Originally Posted by ajax View Post
    Does the "data sim" also cost R9 per month as the "Multisim?" I have not seen the Multisim on the services list on Vodacom4me, only data sim.

Why I'm asking is that my friend requested a "data sim" from Vodacom SP. He pays R9 per month. I am using the data sim and he is using his original sim. We have no connection problems, i.e. both sims active all the time and both sims can make data connections at the same time. Also our data usage is coming off the same bundle.
    Same thing, my bad. I know it as MultiSim, the original internal name. But it was launched as DataSIM.

I guess you could get a voice contract (4U?), get a twinsim on it and then strap a bundle to it.
    But would you be able to use both at the same time? (for Data)

Master

@ vodacom3g

Could you please tell me if this is possible...... if so how / which packages

2 x USB 3g modems pulling data from 1 data account?

Thanks

AVR

Vodacom Representative

Quote Originally Posted by avr-rulez View Post
    @ vodacom3g

Could you please tell me if this is possible...... if so how / which packages

2 x USB 3g modems pulling data from 1 data account?

Thanks

AVR
    Yes, as discussed 3 posts above, use a DataSIM setup.

Master

Excellent - Thanks

AVR

Geez, another week or two later and Autopage says: "Only standard Contract packages qualify for Data SIM and will not be available on any MyMeg packages, HSDPA or 3G packages."

EDIT, I see these terms and conditions are now under the Datasim terms and conditions - was this added recently?

I mean this is so stupid, I can share the sim with a 3G router afterall. And don't forget I had a perfectly working twinned sim a year ago.

V3G, is this the case?

I'm so pissed off I might as well go to MTN or even Cell-C!

Ok, so where's the cheapest out-of-bundle, pre-paid, carryover deal that will work with my Vodafone HSDPA card (it better not be bloody networked locked!).

Bastards! This is one customer you are loosing! Screw the customer.
    Last edited by biometrics; 02-05-2007 at 05:10 PM.

ic, no it's now a Vodacom issue. Check the terms on the Datasim page.

Vodacom Representative

Quote Originally Posted by biometrics View Post
    Geez, another week or two later and Autopage says: "Only standard Contract packages qualify for Data SIM and will not be available on any MyMeg packages, HSDPA or 3G packages."

EDIT, I see these terms and conditions are now under the Datasim terms and conditions - was this added recently?

I mean this is so stupid, I can share the sim with a 3G router afterall. And don't forget I had a perfectly working twinned sim a year ago.

V3G, is this the case?

I'm so pissed off I might as well go to MTN or even Cell-C!

Ok, so where's the cheapest out-of-bundle, pre-paid, carryover deal that will work with my Vodafone HSDPA card (it better not be bloody networked locked!).

Bastards! This is one customer you are loosing! Screw the customer.
    Bio, if I read this correctly, you want to use your data contract as the starting point to get a DataSIM setup?

The product was designed to allow voice, data and BB to work together, so the 'typical' application would be to start with a voice contract, add a bundle you'll use in your data card and even add a BB.

But I can see your logic. Let me check with the product manager again.

I've not kept you e-mails, so won't you mail me the relevant contract details again.

If you've not taken out any contracts, I'd do the following:

- Get a 4U 'voice' contract.
    - Strap bundle to it
    - Get DataSim

- Never use voice......

We have a 3G contract which includes a datacard and sim.

We have another datacard from an expired contract with no sim

We want to have a twinned or datasimmed 2nd sim for the second datacard so we can use the one account.

The one card will be in a 3G router and the 2nd will be mobile.

From my point of view this fair and Vodacom is screwing us if this is not allowed.

In fact this is what you helped set up for me a bit more than a year ago with a twinned sim for a 3G contract! And it DID work.

Excuse my temper, but this has been going on for 6 weeks or more already. I'm getting gatvol!

V3G, are there any news? Or can I give up on this and move on?

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast