Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast

Thread: iBurst and Linux setup

Latest driver
    Pppoe thing + working usb driver

Extract the driver first(try one in 1st link) and navigate to its directory with console. switch console to root by typing "sudo su".
    Now type "make" followed by "make install"

Now extract the rp-pppoe thing and navigate to its directory and type "./go" now you should be able to configure the connection settings(username etc)

To connect, from in root console(sudo su) type pppoe-start and pppoe-stop to disconnect.

This will work with ubuntu linux and other ubuntu variants as well as some other distros.

HI Mental tree

Thanx for the advice yet i'm not very fimiliar with the lnux kernel and where to copy what. Can you please assist?

Thanx in advance.

You can extract the driver anywhere, I'd suggest your desktop as its easy to navigate to from the console. Also rename the extracted folder to something simple like "driver"
    Now just navigate to it from a console by typing "cd /home/username/Desktop/driver"(always pay attention to capital letters in the linux console, its very fussy)
    Then type "sudo su" and enter the admin password.
    Now type "make" and then "make install" and the driver will be installed.

Now from the same console you can install the pppoe setup thing.
    Extract it to you desktop and navigate to it(cd /home/username/Desktop/pppoe) and type "./go" and then follow the instructions in the console. You can also set up the pppoe by typing "./go-gui", this will give you a graphics interface.

Once your done type pppoe-start in the console and see if it connects.

If your system hangs after you've installed the driver and your num lock, scroll lock and caps lock lights are flashing you'll have to unplug the modem, reboot, open a console, navigate to the driver folder on your desktop and type "make-uninstall". The hang occurs because of a kernal miss match. If this happens try the driver in the compressed folder that I uploaded(it shouldn't happen with the PCMCIA card, only the usb modem
    Last edited by Mental-Tree; 21-04-2010 at 11:02 PM.

will try that ...thanx very much

Super Grandmaster

Jumping on this thread, followed this link here http://blog.hostinghabitat.com/2009/...-tutorial.html
    everything seems fine, but my connection times out when trying to dial...
    any suggestions?

edit/ i see when i do a pppoe status, it attaches the link to ppp0, and not ib0, this seems like it could be the issue, but i have told it to dial ib0...why is it doing this?
    He gets the ball, he takes the piss
    He wears the shirt of Matt Le Tiss
    Rickie Lambert Southampton goal machine

I'm running ubuntu 11.04 of a flash drive (4gig)

Cannot get an internet connection. Need to know if this is what I need to change the driver.

Paste of terminal:
    Kyocera Corp. iBurst Terminal
    Mobile Broadband Wireless Access (MBWA services)

Paste of network trouble shooting on terminal:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo lshw -C network
    *-network DISABLED
    description: Wireless interface
    product: PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection
    vendor: Intel Corporation
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
    logical name: wlan0
    version: 02
    serial: 00:19:d2:1a:f7:40
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwl3945 driverversion=2.6.38-8-generic firmware=15.32.2.9 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abg
    resources: irq:43 memory:a4400000-a4400fff
    *-network
    description: Ethernet interface
    product: PRO/100 VE Network Connection
    vendor: Intel Corporation
    physical id: 8
    bus info: pci@0000:0a:08.0
    logical name: eth0
    version: 02
    serial: 00:16:36:d7:12:22
    size: 10Mbit/s
    capacity: 100Mbit/s
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
    configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=e100 driverversion=3.5.24-k2-NAPI duplex=half firmware=N/A latency=64 link=no maxlatency=56 mingnt=8 multicast=yes port=MII speed=10Mbit/s
    resources: irq:20 memory:d0006000-d0006fff ioport:2000(size=64)
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo lsusb
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 005: ID 046d:c517 Logitech, Inc. LX710 Cordless Desktop Laser
    Bus 002 Device 004: ID 5543:0042 UC-Logic Technology Corp. Genius PenSketch 12x9 Tablet
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0482:0204 Kyocera Corp. iBurst Terminal
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 058f:9254 Alcor Micro Corp. Hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0939:0b16 Lumberg, Inc.
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 18a5:0304 Verbatim, Ltd
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Device removed and put back

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo tail -f /var/log/messages
    tail: cannot open `/var/log/messages' for reading: No such file or directory

> ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo tail -f /var/log/messages
    > tail: cannot open `/var/log/messages' for reading: No such file or directory
    > ubuntu@ubuntu:~$
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ rfkill list
    0: phy0: Wireless LAN
    Soft blocked: no
    Hard blocked: no

Quote Originally Posted by leechie View Post
    I'm running ubuntu 11.04 of a flash drive (4gig)

Cannot get an internet connection. Need to know if this is what I need to change the driver.
    Ubuntu 11.04 has Linux kernel 2.6.38, but the latest files for the ib driver project seem to be for the 2.6.36 kernel.

You may be able to download the source code and compile for your kernel version with a few modifications though.

Quote Originally Posted by frozt01100101 View Post
    When I got my iBurst I had no clue that this page had any info on getting iBurst set up on Linux, and a quick scan over what is so far on the site does not cover everything, so here I am going to write a full tutorial on how to use iBurst on Linux.

Things you will need:
    * Computer (inc. keyboard, mouse and screen)
    * A working Linux distribution
    * An iBurst modem (I will be working through the information for desktop, USB, and PCMCIA modems)
    * An ibdriver package matching your kernel (go for the 1.3.x series of drivers. If you're not sure about which kernel version driver package to get, get both)
    * The Roaring Penguin package (rp-pppoe, if you can use your distros specific version, so much the better)
    * Network connection (if you are setting up the desktop modem), or if you want to set up sharing of the connection and want to test whether it works

Now, to start (all 'single'-quote things are command to be typed without the quotes):

1) plug everything in everywhere
    2) open a terminal window
    3) type 'su --login' if you are on a Red Hat based system (CentOS, Fedora, etc), or 'sudo su -' if you are on a Debian (or Debian-based) or Ubuntu system
    4) you are now root
    5) for people with a desktop modem, type 'ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.10 netmask 255.255.255.0 up' (and follow further instructions here)
    6) for those who are using the PCMCIA modem or the USB modem, follow these instuctions
    NOTE: if your username if charlie then your home dir is at /home/charlie/your_home_dir_stuff_here

6.a) cd to whichever directory you saved the downloaded files in. If this was on your desktop, the command would be 'cd /home/charlie/Desktop'
    6.b) type 'uname -r'. If you have a 2.6.20 version, use the 2.6.20 specific ibdriver package in the next step. Likewise for the 2.6.17, and for all other 2.6.x versions, use the 2.6 version.
    6.c) extract the files 'tar -xvpf ./ibdriver-ver-si-on.num.ber-here.tar.gz'
    6.d) cd to the newly extracted directory. It has the same name as the archive which you extracted. Thus, if you extracted ibdriver-1.3.2-linux-2.6.17.tar.gz, then the folder will be ibdriver-1.3.2-linux-2.6.17 (note that the .tar.gz is not in the folder name)
    6.e) 'make'
    6.f) if 6.e completed fine, then 'make install'. If it did not complete fine, drop a comment and I will try to help you

7.a) cd to the directory where the rp-pppoe file was saved after download. Again, if this was your desktop, it would be 'cd /home/charlie/Desktop'
    7.b) Extract the archive 'tar -xvpf rp-pppoe-ver-si.on-here.tar.gz'
    7.c) cd into the new dir 'cd rp-pppoe-ver-si.on-here'
    7.d) Run the script './go' (notice the leading period, IT IS VERY IMPORTANT!!)
    7.e) Type in all your details. when it asks about dns settings, enter 'server' (without quotes). When it asks about firewall, this depends on whether you want to share internet. If you do, say '0' for no settings
    7.f) If you do want to share internet, use "firestarter". Speak to your distro's team for information on installing it or drop a comment on the page and I'll try to help

8) And this is if you are using Gnome: right-click on the taskbar, "Add to panel". Select modem lights and say add
    9) To start up your connection, just click on the big button on the left side if that thing, and presto

I will try to add some things to it as soon as possible. Enjoy
    Although I agree this might be useful to some, is it not easier to configure a cheap router? Almost every router supports PPPoE so you should get something that works for around R200-300 and have no issues?

Sent from the MyBroadband iPhone App
    15" Retina MacBookPro 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD
    iPhone 4, iPad 2, Apple TV 2
    Cisco E3000 (DD-WRT)

Quote Originally Posted by renierp View Post
    Although I agree this might be useful to some, is it not easier to configure a cheap router? Almost every router supports PPPoE so you should get something that works for around R200-300 and have no issues?
    True, although if leechie only has the iBurst USB terminal there aren't many routers that will work.

Quote Originally Posted by ginggs View Post
    True, although if leechie only has the iBurst USB terminal there aren't many routers that will work.
    Haven't considered that.

Cisco E3000 (DD-WRT)

Default re compiling driver

Quote Originally Posted by ginggs View Post
    Ubuntu 11.04 has Linux kernel 2.6.38, but the latest files for the ib driver project seem to be for the 2.6.36 kernel.

You may be able to download the source code and compile for your kernel version with a few modifications though.
    Not likely have very little experience with linux. Might go down a version or two.
    thanx for the imput.

Test app on 11.04 revealed this.

Testing your connection to the Internet:

ERROR:root:Could not find def gateway info in /proc
    ERROR:root:Could not find default gateway by running route

Bluetooth seems to be disabled as well............

the wilds, pretoria (east), woodlands boulevard

There is a much easier way - simply connect the iBurst modem to a wireless router.

Quote Originally Posted by nextstep View Post
    There is a much easier way - simply connect the iBurst modem to a wireless router.
    That's been covered. Read the whole thread...

Cisco E3000 (DD-WRT)

Unhappy [help]USB IBURST MODEM and Kernel 2.6.38 in Ubuntu 10.04

hi i'm a new linux user and i tried installing iburst driver on ubunto it lights went on and i found the iburst process but when ever i tried to connect the whole system freeze and when i try to boot with the usb modem attached the computer stuck in an infinite loop ..
    please help!
    life sucks without internet !!

could it be from the MTU ?

Note i can't use and pppoe service like :

start
    connect
    pppoeconf <--- only freezes when it reach ib0! ..

Cheers,
    IMad

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast