Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast

Thread: How much pollution does a car produce?

Default How much pollution does a car produce?

While exhaust gases such as nitrogen oxides and carbon monoxide are pretty nasty in their own right it’s the CO2 emitted by cars that contributes towards global warming. Roughly, for every litre of petrol you burn, your car emits 2.4kg of CO2! The average motorist who drives 20 000km a year will therefore emit anything between 2000kg and 7000kg of CO2 a year.
    http://www.greencars.za.net/?page_id=34

7000 kilograms of CO2 a year for a standard driver... that's insane...

I have never been huge into the environment and the like but that figure is quite shocking, luckily I ride a bike so I don't need to feel guilty on the way home

I wonder if that figure goes up for city dwellers though, while you may only drive 20 km's home it takes you over an hour due to traffic.. the whole time you are pumping out pollution...

Super Grandmaster

Less than cows!

true.... but we can't convert cows now can we

We'll have to eat them all!

Sessly though - the worst emission of cows is methane, not CO2 (although they do emit CO2).

They should make hybrid cows... half cow half tree.

Quote Originally Posted by GavinMannion View Post
    http://www.greencars.za.net/?page_id=34

7000 kilograms of CO2 a year for a standard driver... that's insane...

I have never been huge into the environment and the like but that figure is quite shocking, luckily I ride a bike so I don't need to feel guilty on the way home

I wonder if that figure goes up for city dwellers though, while you may only drive 20 km's home it takes you over an hour due to traffic.. the whole time you are pumping out pollution...
    This is really interesting. The values are correct as far as I've been able to find out.

However, one liter of petrol weighs about 0.75kg. How in the world is this converted to 2.4kg of CO2?

[edit]
    It's obviously to do with something like CH-chain + O2 = Energy + CO where the oxygen's mass gets added to the mass of the CH-chains. I wouldn't have thought the effect would be that big though...
    Last edited by Rkootknir; 01-11-2007 at 12:42 PM.
    Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

--Albert Einstein

Global warming? It's nothing more than a natural cycle. Earth goes through cycles. It had an ice age, now it's warmer. It's getting hotter on Mars too...there are no humans there, and as far as Bush knows (hah)...there are no marsmen driving around in Petrol vehicles.

@ Rkootnir: Coz there are 2 oxygen atoms in a CO2 molecule. So for every atom of carbon in the fuel that's burned, 2 oxygens are joined to it, making it a heavier molecule.

@ The Baron: The vast majority of the scientific community would disagree with you I'm afraid.
    Last edited by BCO; 01-11-2007 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollar View Post
    @ The Baron: The vast majority of the scientific community would disagree with you I'm afraid.
    I'm sure they would...just as Pluto is now a dwarf planet.

The fact remains.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1720024.ece

Scientists from Nasa say that Mars has warmed by about 0.5C since the 1970s. This is similar to the warming experienced on Earth over approximately the same period.
    Since there is no known life on Mars it suggests rapid changes in planetary climates could be natural phenomena.

Mars is getting hotter, there's nothing there to cause any sort of "global warming"....It's a natural cycle.

Super Grandmaster

Not to mention the heat produced in the conversion process.
    We are at the beginning of a exponential curve, and .. well .. I hope you own short sleev'd shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Hohenzollern View Post
    I'm sure they would...just as Pluto is now a dwarf planet.

The fact remains.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1720024.ece

Since there is no known life on Mars it suggests rapid changes in planetary climates could be natural phenomena.

Mars is getting hotter, there's nothing there to cause any sort of "global warming"....It's a natural cycle.
    What a stupid argument. Just because Mars undergoes natural warming doesn't mean earth doesn't suffer from anthropogenic global warming, there is absolutely no link.

I suggest you start you reading here

The solution to the earth's problems with global warming, greenhouse gases etc is rather simple; we need to stop breeding. There is simply too many people on this plant for this planet to sustain. I think the saying should be changed from 'breed like bunnies' to 'breed like Neanderthals humans'.
    Welcome to the Animal Farm!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tassidar View Post
    What a stupid argument. Just because Mars undergoes natural warming doesn't mean earth doesn't suffer from anthropogenic global warming, there is absolutely no link.

I suggest you start you reading here
    Oh yes, I am a believer now...it all points to the logical conclusion that global warming is a man made phenomenan...Hold on man, I've got to go purchase a skateboard...Lol.

That's all very nice, that still doesn't explain how it is that Mars is facing the exact same variation as earth. Perhaps I should do your research for you, what is it that they used to 'refute" that Russian scientist who brought about this Mars issue?

Ah yes, the way that Mars "orbits and tilts" is the reason for it's temperature variations...and that earth has a bigger moon and that it's orbit and tilt is far less than that of Mars..and that's why the two are not suffering the same source of heat increase. Despite the fact that well earth does variate from it's course every 20 - 100,000 years...and that they cannot explain why it is that both Mars and Earth are between ice ages. They consider it a coincidence.

Scientists do not even understand most of natures complexities and they want to tell me about the greenhouse effect? It doesn't definitively know how these substances interact with each other and other substances.

This Atmospheric Physicist must be a retard.

http://ourcivilisation.com/aginatur/swindle.htm

There's more "no links" for you if you want them.

Global warming is the modern "Nuclear threat". In the 60's it was the thing to be scared of, the end of mankind. Today it's global warming. I find it funny how so many people can run amock and consider purchasing electric vehicles to save earth, but they don't have the same conviction when it comes to their own people. Take Roo here, he's biting another myth...earth is over populated. Such a good idea...bring on abortion!. Contradiction that is, in one sense they fear global warming and they don't want to scortch to death, in another they cause extinction by lack of breeding. Way to go....
    Last edited by Baron Hohenzollern; 01-11-2007 at 01:35 PM.

From your link.

Simultaneous warming on Earth and Mars suggests that our planet's recent climate changes have a natural—and not a human-induced—cause, according to one scientist's controversial theory.
    Hardly a refutation of the mainstream consensus of anthropogenic climate change. I'm open to alternative explanations for the climate change that's going on - as long as its supported by the scientific community. At this time the vast majority of climate scientists see man-made greenhouse gases as the only viable explanation for climate change. Until such a time as a theory comes along that starts to cause a meaningful impact on the debate (coz right now there's no debate at all, that's how certain they are), there's really not much to discuss.

Further, Roo! has a point - the earth can't sustain the number of people tha are now living on it in the manner in which they're living. Nobody said anything about the extinction of the species through not breeding, all Roo suggested was that we don't breed as much.

*edit* Here and here is some info on The Great Global Warming Swindle *edit*
    Last edited by BCO; 01-11-2007 at 02:23 PM.

MyBB Legend

did any of u perhaps watch the Al Gore documentary on global warming? really shocking stuff.
    Procrastination. I'll find a signature for this later.

Another problem that I have heard we have is that there is only a limited supply of fossil fuels, we need a new way to power cars before we run out of oil....

Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast