ADSL ISP account speeds in SA compared

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Not particularly surprising results - except that MWEB Uncapped beats MWEB Capped. It should however be noted that we have a fairly small sample of MWEB Capped tests which may explain the difference.

Fader4

Expert Member
surprised afrifail wasnt lower, i seldom get less than 3.56 on speedtests, mweb uncapped

Inertia

Expert Member
Confidence intervals + other non-parametric inference would be quite informative here! Is this the first such survey or do we have past data?

nelwa

Expert Member
not even one of them are close to actually providing 4MBps...what gives, it's over fixed line so it shouldn't be dependent on weather and interference, etc...

deweyzeph

Executive Member
All these figures are meaningless when you consider that the your final speed is completely reliant on the speed of Telkom's IPC network no matter how good the network of the ISP is.

dagwood4455

I am new to this forum …
Is there anywhere where people can log their internet speeds? People randomly post their speeds in the forum; is there not a place where it is tabulated?
This recent study is great but what if we can have a website somewhere where people can post their stats in a formal manner so that we can pinpoint problem areas in realtime.
There are websites where people can log crimes or potholes etc. What of someone writes something that collects “internet speed statistics”. Eventually we will be able to pinpoint the culprits and trends. Telkom and the ISP’s blame each other and we cannot do anything about it. Private companies often post information about network or data centre issues, but the main okes in the country are very quiet about problems on their networks.
The system should more or less ask for the following data:
• Line speed
• Download speed
• Upload speed
• Ping
• Date and Time
• Location (on a map)
• ISP (data provider)
• Connection provider (Telkom, Neotel, Vodacom, MTN etc)
• Exchange (if known)

In other words, let us “formalize” the posting of speed statistics (in real time) ?

stm101

I have to love this country.

one the one hand we have people saying "Slow ADSL speeds? Uncapped to blame?"
and on the other hand we have "Fastest ADSL ISP accounts in SA revealed"
with MWEB Uncapped as the number 4 fastest......... there were plenty of uncapped and unshaped ISP's offerings that were slower. I think that ISP's should start taking responsibility for how they provision their network instead on blaming other factors.

fvdbergh

one the one hand we have people saying "Slow ADSL speeds? Uncapped to blame?"
and on the other hand we have "Fastest ADSL ISP accounts in SA revealed"
with MWEB Uncapped as the number 4 fastest......... there were plenty of uncapped and unshaped ISP's offerings that were slower.

Agreed. MWEB has demonstrated that you can "do it all", i.e., have uncapped accounts while still maintaining highly competitive performance levels. I hope the guys from WebAfrica are reading this.