ADSL Problem - Please Help

seedat77

Hi

I am having major problems with my ADSL line and just can't seem to get it sorted out. Basically I experience intermittent connectivity, my 4MB line is syncing at 2.5MB, and even when connected I have a major problem streaming, gaming and even normal browsing (my line shows as connected but my devices lose internet connectivity). The intermittent connection gets really bad if it is windy and rainy, and it disconnects every few minutes and becomes completely unusable. My session logs show that it sometimes disconnects and reconnects upto 10 times an hour.

I am renting my line through Afrihost and have logged complaints. The latest feedback that I have is that according to Telkom the line is fine and there is a problem with my hardware. I'm not sure how Telkom tested the line as a technician did not come to my house (although I spoke to them about 5 times and they kept on promising to send a technician out). I tested my filter and modem at two other houses and it works perfectly there.

Can someone please guide me in tracing the fault, or suggest what the possible causes are?

Thanking you in advance.

netstrider

Expert Member
Please log in to your router and post your line stats here. From there we may be able to determine what's wrong and subsequently try and eliminate the cause.

seedat77

Thanks for the replies I'll check it out tonight when I'm at home.

seedat77

Here are my line stats:

Adsl Line Status SHOWTIME.L0
Adsl Mode G992.5
Channel Mode Interleave
Up Stream 511 kbps
Down Stream 2559 kbps
Attenuation Down Stream 29
Attenuation Up Stream 18
SNR Margin Down Stream 15.4
SNR Margin Up Stream 21.3
Vendor ID RETK
Firmware Version 4926d722
CRC Errors 0
Up Stream BER 0e-7
Down Stream BER 0e-7
Up Output Power 11.5
Down Output Power 19
ES 0
SES 0
UAS 0

DJ...

Banned
I suspect a router issue here. Switch to ADSL2 sync rather than ADSL2+ you're currently on, and also test with a new modem router with and without the filter on the line...

seedat77

I suspect a router issue here. Switch to ADSL2 sync rather than ADSL2+ you're currently on, and also test with a new modem router with and without the filter on the line...

Thanks DJ. Here's a screenshot of the modulation settings, I'll try to disable ADSL2+ and see if it makes a difference. Are the other settings correct?

Router Modulation Settings.png

seedat77

Could it be a problem with the plug or socket where I plug in the phone line? When I bought my house, there were (and still are) 3 extensions - one main extension that looks very old, with another 2 extensions connected to that plug. The original extension is in a very awkward place and the previous owner probably got someone to connect the other 2 extensions to that one. Now, there are some wires sticking out from the plug and the work looks very shoddy. I know that I'm only supposed to have 1 extension, which is fine for me, and so I requested Telkom to come to my house and sort it out. They keep on saying that they are testing the line on their side and everything looks okay. I'm now trying to get an independent person to come and sort it out for me. Any recommendations?

netstrider

Expert Member
Thanks DJ. Here's a screenshot of the modulation settings, I'll try to disable ADSL2+ and see if it makes a difference. Are the other settings correct?

View attachment 341272
I believe you need to enable bitswap.

Another thing that I have noticed on my side is the more often I reboot my router etc the more likely my sync speed is to drop. I believe this is because ASSIA's interleaving system sees these reboots as an unstable line and subsequently adjusts the sync speed down in the hope to counter this.

My 10Mbps line was down to 4Mbps last week Synday so on Monday I phoned Telkom to recreate my port and I have not had one disconnect or sync adjustment since then so I'm hoping it holds. So if possible try and get your ISP to recreate your port.

Someone has also mentioned that syncing via G.Dmt has given them better results.

EDIT: My line is not syncing at the max upload rate even though the line stats are decent; however I'm deliberately refraining from rebooting my router for the fear of having my downstream sync adjusted again. See below.

08-02-2016_18o57.jpg

krustyrsa

I believe you need to enable bitswap.

Another thing that I have noticed on my side is the more often I reboot my router etc the more likely my sync speed is to drop. I believe this is because ASSIA's interleaving system sees these reboots as an unstable line and subsequently adjusts the sync speed down in the hope to counter this.

My 10Mbps line was down to 4Mbps last week Synday so on Monday I phoned Telkom to recreate my port and I have not had one disconnect or sync adjustment since then so I'm hoping it holds. So if possible try and get your ISP to recreate your port.

Someone has also mentioned that syncing via G.Dmt has given them better results.

EDIT: My line is not syncing at the max upload rate even though the line stats are decent; however I'm deliberately refraining from rebooting my router for the fear of having my downstream sync adjusted again. See below.

View attachment 341286

Think I gave you the ADSL_G.Dmt advice :), and yes it works like a charm, still connected a week later no drops, no F### ASSIA lol, and I'm syncing @ 4096kbps down and 512Kbps up, also synced 2559kbps like seedat77, due to bad ATT and SNR issues, after I set to ADSL_G.Dmt I asked telkomZA to lock my line at 4mb and I'm still synced there XD, @seedat77 only select ADSL_G.Dmt , annex L, enable bitswap and click apply

seedat77

Think I gave you the ADSL_G.Dmt advice :), and yes it works like a charm, still connected a week later no drops, no F### ASSIA lol, and I'm syncing @ 4096kbps down and 512Kbps up, also synced 2559kbps like seedat77, due to bad ATT and SNR issues, after I set to ADSL_G.Dmt I asked telkomZA to lock my line at 4mb and I'm still synced there XD, @seedat77 only select ADSL_G.Dmt , annex L, enable bitswap and click apply

Thanks, tried out your tips.

seedat77

Hi guys. Just an update on what's happened over the last few days. Last week Friday I decided to upgrade my line to 8mbps to see if it makes a difference, but it just made things worse. On Friday alone my line disconnected 130 times, and on Saturday 56 times. I requested VOX to reset my port on Friday, but it didn't seem to make any difference. My line seemed to stabilise around Saturday late afternoon.

On Saturday afternoon I moved my router to a different extension in my house and it was still disconnecting but less frequently. I then borrowed a router from a friend and tried using that and the disconnections were even less. Yesterday a Telkom technician finally came to my house. He adjusted the line running from the pole to my house and said that he fixed a loose connection in the small box as well. According to him the main extension in my house is working fine, but he said I should not use the other extension as it was not done by Telkom and the wire is too thin to be used for a phone extension. Since then my line disconnected 6 times, but has remained connected since 5:00pm yesterday afternoon.

BTW over the weekend my new 8mb line was syncing at 4.5mb, but since late Sunday afternoon my line is syncing at only 2.8mb.

Here are my latest line stats:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2851 kbps 639 kbps
Line Attenuation 32.0 db 17.3 db
Noise Margin 15.2 db 10.2 db

PS: Sorry for the long post.

netstrider

Expert Member
Wait a week, then ask VOX to recreate your port again. ASSIA should have reset and you should sync higher thereafter.

EDIT: Your theoretical max ADSL speed is 7737Kbps, if you were to sync using ADSL2+ it would be 13828Kbps.

Capture.JPG
http://www.speedguide.net/dsl_speed_calc.php

Last edited:

seedat77

Hi guys. Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. I haven't been able to post any feedback from my side lately as I was hardly online. It's been really frustrating and after numerous phone calls and emails to Afrihost and Telkom directly, a technician came to my house earlier today. My phone line was completely dead for the last 10 days as well, and they repaired something on the pole. I wasn't at home so I couldn't find out exactly what they did. My internet seems to be far more stable and my phone works now but there is slight distortion on the line.

Also, after things went awry with my 8MB line, and because Telkom were not getting it sorted out, I decided to 'downgrade' to a 2MB line and monitor it. I was informed by Afrihost that my line was 'regraded', and also, according to Telkom I am too far from the exchange. My line is definitely on 2MB now, but the Afrihost client zone still shows that I am on a 8MB line. I have queried it with them and will check tomorrow if the change takes place in the new month.

I'll see how it goes from now onwards and post feedback. Once again thanks to whoever posted in this thread. Here are my current line stats:

Adsl Line Status SHOWTIME.
Adsl Mode G992.1
Channel Mode Interleave
Up Stream 384 kbps
Down Stream 1792 kbps
Attenuation Down Stream 26
Attenuation Up Stream 20
SNR Margin Down Stream 30.8
SNR Margin Up Stream 25.0
Vendor ID RETK
Firmware Version 4926d722
CRC Errors 8