Afrihost MTN Fixed LTE-A Thread

MirageF1

Expert Member
Heads up folks...roll over now displaying on web portal (haven't checked mob app as yet)

rollover.png

@AfriMan seems as if both (anytime and ) nighttime data does Rollover for MTN as it should, just takes a day or 2 to reflect it seems

Available Night-Time Data (from November)
7.82GB

Available Data (from November)
322.25MB

Available Night-Time Data (from December)
29.51GB

data allocation
30.00GB

Available Data (from December)
28.56GB
data allocation

30.00GB

Last edited:

An3skmbi

Anyone know if the MTN provisioning issue has been resolved with Afrihost? I'm with Axxess and been waiting a week now for feedback, they just say it's an MTN issue. Cell C is now switched off, so sitting with no Internet at home. Afrihost if yours work I'm switching now!

SAV

I've sort of won a small battle with Axxess at least - got them to cancel effectively end of November. :)

Reactions: Yuu

MirageF1

Expert Member
I guess i'm getting fairly close to practical max speed on a physical LTE-A device some distance from tower....
would like to hit 100Mbps just for the record.

RSRQ:-6dB
RSRP:-87dBm
SINR:20dB

Run at 05:10
MTN FixedLTE-speedtest4.png

cavedog

Honorary Master
I guess i'm getting fairly close to practical max speed on a physical LTE-A device some distance from tower....
would like to hit 100Mbps just for the record.

RSRQ:-6dB
RSRP:-87dBm
SINR:20dB

Run at 05:10
View attachment 751806
You will get well over 100Mbps if you use a cpe that supports 3 carrier aggregation.

B1+B3+B8 peaks at about 160Mbps give or take

MirageF1

Expert Member
I'm trying to get the technical data sheet of the Huawei H112 to check if it does support 3CA but yeah I have yet to see a device that supports that.
Theoretically it does...H112 5G CPE

but my point is still...with any current 4G/+ commercially available router are speeds up to the supposed listed 300Mbps ever possible? Never seen anyone get close to that ( at least not here on MyBB).

cavedog

Honorary Master
Theoretically it does...H112 5G CPE

but my point is still...with any current 4G/+ commercially available router are speeds up to the supposed listed 300Mbps ever possible? Never seen anyone get close to that ( at least not here on MyBB).
Yes but depends on the spectrum available to them.

The tower supports it. The hardware supports it. Their network supports it but because they have a license that says you only allowed to use 10MHz in that band they have to force it to stay in that spectrum. If you take Band 3 for example and give the complete band to just 1 network 500Mbps is possible easy for example. Speed limitations on LTE is not about the technology because it's there and always been there in fact it's better developed than 5G it's just spectrum. Limit spectrum and spectrum licenses needs to be distributed otherwise you get no competition in the market.

MirageF1

Expert Member
Limit spectrum and spectrum licenses needs to be distributed otherwise you get no competition in the market.
And therein lies the real answer.

I wonder if max speeds are limited the same overseas due to spectrum allocation like in S.A....partic US/Asia and Europe. I would guess yes.
Finite spectrum availability due to cost/legislation/practicality, etc

Last edited:

NitsZA

You will get well over 100Mbps if you use a cpe that supports 3 carrier aggregation.

B1+B3+B8 peaks at about 160Mbps give or take
I have the b618-65d, what setting should I use on the band tool for MTN? currently have a telkom sim in and forcing 1800+2100 . I'm just waiting on the MTN sim which is sheduled to arrive today :)

andreh

How long did you guys wait for your Afrihost sim to be delivered? I have placed an order on the 28th of November for just the MTN sim and it have not left yet there office.

MirageF1

Expert Member
Mine took about 4 working days... ordered Thursday afternoon, arrived following Wednesday early. I'm about 15 km from CT depot in deep S.Subs.

YMMV depending how far from depot you based, obviously.

Homesteader123

Is the Afrihost fixed LTE sim+router deal worth it? One has to pay R999 for the router upon checkout and continue to pay it monthly? I cannot find any other service provider that allows me to purchase LTE without paying the full fee of the router.

I have a Hauwei router that I previously used with Telkom but it is not the exact model required.

Azg

Expert Member
Is the Afrihost fixed LTE sim+router deal worth it? One has to pay R999 for the router upon checkout and continue to pay it monthly? I cannot find any other service provider that allows me to purchase LTE without paying the full fee of the router.

I have a Hauwei router that I previously used with Telkom but it is not the exact model required.
For that R999 you can find a used router from the approved list. Then you don't have to pay monthly for it.