Beware when ordering from RARU...

Düber

Problem with waiting for a refund is if they do go under, you're probably getting nothing.
Not RARU, but an electrical shop went bust after I had ordered some stuff and paid, a form from the bank emailed and filled in and 2 weeks later the money was back in my account, it was paid for with my credit card though if that makes a difference.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Not RARU, but an electrical shop went bust after I had ordered some stuff and paid, a form from the bank emailed and filled in and 2 weeks later the money was back in my account, it was paid for with my credit card though if that makes a difference.
Not 100% sure, but I think if their accounts are frozen, no ones getting a refund.

Düber

Not 100% sure, but I think if their accounts are frozen, no ones getting a refund.
Yes most likely not, I did react fairly quickly when I heard that the sheriff had come to collect all the stuff, and was pleasantly surprised that it worked.

ponder

Honorary Master
Yes most likely not, I did react fairly quickly when I heard that the sheriff had come to collect all the stuff, and was pleasantly surprised that it worked.
You should have purchase protection with visa/mastercard even if you can't get a cent out of the company, they have insurance for their cardholders.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
You should have purchase protection with visa/mastercard even if you can't get a cent out of the company, they have insurance for their cardholders.
I swear I've read in the past on this very forum where people couldn't get money back after a retailer went bust.... if it was of high importance I'd find the energy to find the link.

ponder

Honorary Master
I swear I've read in the past on this very forum where people couldn't get money back after a retailer went bust.... if it was of high importance I'd find the energy to find the link.
Try and find it, I would like to see whether they lodged a dispute with the CC issuer etc.

airborne

Honorary Master
There is a timeframe, I think you have to give the retailer min 30 days to deliver if its an order of goods and then you have 60 days from purchase to open the chargeback, a company going tits up doesn't appear to affect a chargeback if I recall but interesting scenario though.

theratman

Executive Member
Also chargebacks hurt the business as processors and banks don't like them, Raru deserves every bit of trouble they get!

ld13

Honorary Master
So I have been trying to get rid of all my credit on raru. Simply cannot keep track of it anymore - feels like I have more "We regret to inform you" raru emails than legitimate raru emails.

Their communication to me, last week, about my power banks order, referred to a "logistical issue" on the supplier side and that stock would supposedly be arriving late this week. I followed up again today, only to be told that, unfortunately, there was a listing issue and that they would be refunding my credit - again. Used the credit on the spot. Hopefully this will be my last order with raru.

MDKXL

So I have been trying to get rid of all my credit on raru. Simply cannot keep track of it anymore - feels like I have more "We regret to inform you" raru emails than legitimate raru emails.

Their communication to me, last week, about my power banks order, referred to a "logistical issue" on the supplier side and that stock would supposedly be arriving late this week. I followed up again today, only to be told that, unfortunately, there was a listing issue and that they would be refunding my credit - again. Used the credit on the spot. Hopefully this will be my last order with raru.
how much credit you have, just curious

ld13

Honorary Master
how much credit you have, just curious
Had like R2000+, but that eventually got refunded. Then it heaped up to R1500+ after another few cancelled orders and old orders that seemed to be forever stuck on backorder - could not keep track of it all. But I think I have now finally used it all up.

Splinter

Honorary Master
I think the most obvious indication that Raru is in trouble is that they don't even try to respond here anymore.

Then, if you go to their website and see all the "specials" they have there - almost none of the items are in stock; and have a delivery date of 5 to 7 working days. That means they require your money up front, and might only deliver a week or two later.

Which is indicative of huge cash flow problems, and that their suppliers will only supply goods to them once they have received the money for the items.

A death knell for any online company.

ponder

Honorary Master
I think the most obvious indication that Raru is in trouble is that they don't even try to respond here anymore.

Then, if you go to their website and see all the "specials" they have there - almost none of the items are in stock; and have a delivery date of 5 to 7 working days. That means they require your money up front, and might only deliver a week or two later.

Which is indicative of huge cash flow problems, and that their suppliers will only supply goods to them once they have received the money for the items.

A death knell for any online company.
I would not order from them based on recent feedback.

Splinter

Honorary Master
I would not order from them based on recent feedback.
Not arguing.

The two brothers who run Raru are the same ones who started Take Two, which became Takealot - which was purchased from them. After a 3 year restraint of trade they came back to start Raru.

It seems that even with their very low cost overhead, they cannot compete with a corporation that can bleed hundreds of millions to gain market share.

ld13

Honorary Master
Why you keep on using them?
It became this vicious cycle. I would spot a nice special and order a few things. Then one or a combination of stuff would happen:

Items get delivered.
Items placed on backorder.
Refund to profile credit due to item pricing issue/supplier issue/etc

I would then spot a nice price on an item and order a few more things, to extinguish my credit (instead of having to wait a month for a refund), but usually, end up having to pay in.

Rinse, repeat. I am now one last delivery away from being done with them

Splinter

Honorary Master
It became this vicious cycle. I would spot a nice special and order a few things. Then one or a combination of stuff would happen:

Items get delivered.

I would then spot a nice price on an item and order a few more things, to extinguish my credit (instead of having to wait a month for a refund), but usually, end up having to pay in.

This is total hearsay, but it seems various departments had management issues.

ponder

Honorary Master
It seems that even with their very low cost overhead, they cannot compete with a corporation that can bleed hundreds of millions to gain market share.
That's what's unfortunate for the smaller guys, just look at amazon for example.

Hellhound105

Expert Member

Items get delivered.

Its getting harder and harder trying to defend this company. Same happens to me.
The reason I keep going back, their pre-order system actually works.

Vernon

Expert Member
Not arguing.

The two brothers who run Raru are the same ones who started Take Two, which became Takealot - which was purchased from them. After a 3 year restraint of trade they came back to start Raru.
I think they're cousins, not brothers.
In any case, reading this thread as well as the one on SA Gamer forum, makes me very wary of ordering anything from RARU.