Cell C Network Issues: Disconnects, Coverage, Throughput Problems - Report Here

DieSousMeester

I have Axxess Cell-C Fixed-LTE, Huawei B618 with a signal booster. In Stellenbosch.
In December and previous I got download speeds up to 25Mbps and 15Mbps up, stable at 15/10Mbps.
Now, for the last week I can't get anything faster than 1.5Mbps download and 1Mbps upload. The connection is stable and I have great ping constantly, but I'm sure my speed is being heavilty throttled.
I live in a apartment block and 3 of my friends/neighbours also have Cell-C Fixed-LTE but with afrihost. They are having the exact same problem, also great speeds previously.
Tried the different APNs, lte.broadband.is and internet, reset my router and tried moving the signal booster around, still the same.
I logged a fault/ticket at axxess a few days ago and all I got was "logging fault for further investigation".

I don't know why I'm still using this internet, this is pathetic. My problem is this is all I've got. No access to ADSL or Fibre whatsoever. Local wireless ISPs are even worse than what I have currently.

Ugh, first world problems but holy heck it is so frustrating!!!

Zertop

Expert Member
I have Axxess Cell-C Fixed-LTE, Huawei B618 with a signal booster. In Stellenbosch.
In December and previous I got download speeds up to 25Mbps and 15Mbps up, stable at 15/10Mbps.
Now, for the last week I can't get anything faster than 1.5Mbps download and 1Mbps upload. The connection is stable and I have great ping constantly, but I'm sure my speed is being heavilty throttled.
I live in a apartment block and 3 of my friends/neighbours also have Cell-C Fixed-LTE but with afrihost. They are having the exact same problem, also great speeds previously.
Tried the different APNs, lte.broadband.is and internet, reset my router and tried moving the signal booster around, still the same.
I logged a fault/ticket at axxess a few days ago and all I got was "logging fault for further investigation".

I don't know why I'm still using this internet, this is pathetic. My problem is this is all I've got. No access to ADSL or Fibre whatsoever. Local wireless ISPs are even worse than what I have currently.

Ugh, first world problems but holy heck it is so frustrating!!!

Same issue. Had to leave and have moved over to RAIN. I believe the tower is congested :/

k2again

Are these pass-through-providers like Axxess and MWeb connected to
CellC - LTE
or
LTE -Advanced??

I ask because my wife's LTE cellC signal on her Note 8 is terific and our CELLC LTE-Advanced via AFRIHOST - is pathetic at times. It was down Saturday 30th from about 1400 to almost 2000h as I saw it as a RED light on our router here in Stellenbosch. Weird thing was my colleague's ZTE router picked up the CellC signal just fine [TOTAL GREEN].

Ideas??

internaut

My afrihost-cellc connection is down since 14h00 yesterday. I think itll only come up start of the new month.
@k2again , is your colleague's sim an afrihost issued one?
I doubt that its a CellC/router issue but rather a CellC/Afrihost one.

k2again

My afrihost-cellc connection is down since 14h00 yesterday. I think itll only come up start of the new month.
@k2again , is your colleague's sim an afrihost issued one?
I doubt that its a CellC/router issue but rather a CellC/Afrihost one.
That is also what I think. It is not a router issue at all - but an Afrihost bandwidth/network systems [throughput/allocation] management issue that CellC also has said is likely the problem. But AH has not admitted to that being the issue - they keep pointing to CellC 'connectivity' issues ...

k2again

UNRELIABLE - BAD CONNECTIVITY SINCE JANUARY - STELLENBOSCH CELLC LTE-A FIXED WIRELESS: Afrihost has denied any refund or credit for 12 of 31 days of non-service due to bad SIM and bad CellC connect and their own difficulties providing a CELLC LTE A bandwidth to us. Lost 40 of our 200GB DL - and 'sorry - we did our best - it was CellC not us - was the response - when in fact - some was AH - Some was CellC and some was simply poor diagnostics - needing 7 weeks of complaints to finally figure out it was a Bad SIM - then another two weeks with similar problems to use TEAMVIEWER To update the router firmware - GEESH - amateurs - with both companies partnered to sell a service they over and over again - say neither really have responsibility for.
Why would anyone use Afrihost when they say CELLC is at fault and we are not responsible - yet CellC when called - says it is not us - it is our pass through partner - Afrihost?? Who falls for these dodgy deals with no better than 60% of days with full connectivity in March and averaging one day per week of outages - continually through early April - before they finally - after over 2.5 months - finally got the system to function - [albeit with lags to local and int'l websites and with poor wireless peripheral connectivity in our small business setting.
Geesh - what a pain - so FAIR WARNING - NOT CELLC fixed wireless LTE-A via Afrihost - and perhaps not via anyone in the Stellenbosch area. Nuff said - we will put up with it and use a backup when needed through 18 July - then we will be done with Afrihost and CellC - fixed wireless - just not trustworthy or adequately responsible to clients for charges - in full - despite miserably poor service and major lost time and outages - Bad people selling and not so nice customer service not compensating for major outages and continuing issues and lag/transmission problems over now 3 months.. Looking forward to August going back to a dependable local provider in Stellies who fix things in 24 to 48 hours - and only rarely needed a couple of times a year. These mega-structured big firms - simply pass on bad services and pass the buck - so no win for anyone. Sad days for this sort of technology services in ZA...

Zaggermeister

Same issue, had great speed up and down, now I'm stuck with this. I've used different APNs, reset the router, moved it around a bit. No luck. Even got billed for 'Wifi calling' this month even though I have no idea how the hell one does that?
1555259948645.png

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep
Same issue, had great speed up and down, now I'm stuck with this. I've used different APNs, reset the router, moved it around a bit. No luck. Even got billed for 'Wifi calling' this month even though I have no idea how the hell one does that?
View attachment 645766

Hi Zaggermeister

When did you start experiencing this issue regarding the connection?

^MP

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep
Kindly PM us the number in question and your contact number.

^SM

akascotman

Afrihost ISP Cell C LTE Fixed wireless and live in Stellenbosch. Getting speeds of ±0.04mbps constantly throughout the day for 2 weeks. Simcards have been changed and all the stuff the consumer has to do; even filled in a forum for CellC but received no feedback.

I will switch when Fibre becomes available as I will not fall prey to the same false marketing I received from CellC/Afrihost. Most days have been stable but this is not a good option if you run a business from home.

How can I push for companies to supply the infrastructure in my area as we have many households who are fed-up and will switch to fibre?

Draconia2

Expert Member
Cellc 100gb LTE down in phalaborwa. Has been working on 3-4 bars signal for months now getting 2.3MB per second. 11am today it went down.

no reboot or apn change is helping. the 4g signal can be scanned but once connected it refuses with a cross.

k2again

Afrihost ISP Cell C LTE Fixed wireless and live in Stellenbosch. Getting speeds of ±0.04mbps constantly throughout the day for 2 weeks. Simcards have been changed and all the stuff the consumer has to do; even filled in a forum for CellC but received no feedback.

I will switch when Fibre becomes available as I will not fall prey to the same false marketing I received from CellC/Afrihost. Most days have been stable but this is not a good option if you run a business from home.

How can I push for companies to supply the infrastructure in my area as we have many households who are fed-up and will switch to fibre?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Had a similar problem for two months of totally crap service in Stellies - many complaints and several days at a time outages. And always - and still - a 3 to 4 second lag on a wide range of websites both int'l and local.
Finally after 7 weeks - some light bulb clicked on in Pretoria and they processed a no-cost a sim-swap.
Two weeks later after that had virtually no improvement and AH and CellC were down for over 18 hours on a Friday Saturday - the following Tuesday -a very knowledgeable AH tech came online and remotely did a firmware upgrade on the new in January HW B315 router. That seems to have dramatically improved the situation. 3 weeks later now - and only twice have I had a red signal on the router - and both times it was corrected with a 5 min on-off cycle.

AGREE: FIXED WIRELESS FROM CELLC - was high unreliable in Stellenbosch. Today however,
-
speedtest.net using Afrihost to Mikasa [JNB] came with 39 ping, 21 Mbps DL and 15 Mbps UL - so pretty good.
- SAIX.co.za [usually much slower] had 220ping, 11jitter, 11DL and 2UL-nothing to write home about-esp the ping.

RECCYs:
1- Perhaps get AH to do a router firmware upgrade if not done already.

2- Switch to ADSL or Fibre as soon as a reliable vendor is in place.

For us- Fiber is dicey as some company called SATV [or something like that] has for some unknown reason given itself the right to exclusively offer fiber service to our block of ~50 homes near Paul Roos. They were to install in December and we are still waiting. When I called them in CPT - they had never heard of Krigeville they said.
Plus - who the heck are all these - seemingly 'fly-by night' startup fiber companies anyway ???
The situation looks like just another free for all as we saw with the solar panel hot water system market starting about 6 years ago with tens of nobodies, as instant experts, getting into business and most of them folding and leaving clients high and dry - and without any of the 10 year warranty that was promised [several here in Stellies walked away and yet - practically no one complained].

We would be going back to ADSL for reliability rather than CellC or anyone else selling a no-name brand to unsuspecting clients - and then claiming - as AH has repeated down since almost week 1 blaming CellC - stating that AH did the best they could but it was mostly CellC's fault for the hiccups and bad service. As it seems to have turned out - that may not be true - it took a sim swap followed by a router firmware upgrade to get our system into [touch wood] now almost 3 weeks of expected 95% reliability.

Cheers K

Draconia2

Expert Member
Phalaborwa LTE is still down since wednesday morning, on contract 100gb LTE sim. there is *no service* when forcing it to 4g/lte then it jumps back to 3g. When searching for the LTE signal, it finds it, but then refuses connection upon selecting network.

No comment from Cellc on forum
No update on reference number from tech support

\0/

Dan001

Cellc 100gb LTE down in phalaborwa. Has been working on 3-4 bars signal for months now getting 2.3MB per second. 11am today it went down.

no reboot or apn change is helping. the 4g signal can be scanned but once connected it refuses with a cross.

Same problem in Pennington, KZN.

Dan001

Some strike action at Cell C also not helping. I have a 200 GB contract which I would love to cancel.

Dan001

Thank goodness, thought I was the only one !!

I logged a call on Wednesday, was told an advanced technician will contact me within 2 days - nothing. Complained on Hellopeter. com where I got a response re some sort of compensation. First get the issue sorted then we talk compensation.

Cell C is aware of the problem. The technical help desk told me last night and this afternoon that they do have technical LTE problems. They were hoping it will be sorted by close of business today.