Status
Not open for further replies.

John Tempus

Expert Member
Yeah I've edited my above post already with the test results from the CPE. I'm wondering if I wasn't hit by lightning with all the storms...
Ok so the only common problem left is the CPE looking at your ethernet to CPE results. I think your best bet now is probably try and get someone from vumatel to look at the CPE unit and hopefully they will swap it out if you make enough of a scene. I dont know for sure but its very possible something got damaged on the CPE. Perhaps if you could somehow get hold of someone else in your area who also have CISP fibre to share their results. This way you could with absolute certainty know it is your CPE causing all the issues. However you look at it , its a sucky situation but not one that you should blame CISP for as I mentioned.

DarkSt0rm

Agreed, but I don't think they are completely innocent either. I do think that their insistence that nothing is wrong with the line because local tests are alright needs to change. Perhaps @PBCool should get them include this CPE test in the list of troubleshooting steps, because as it is, this seems to be something overlooked.

I'll contact vumatel now, thankfully my area manager is a very amicable guy!

John Tempus

Expert Member
Agreed, but I don't think they are completely innocent either. I do think that their insistence that nothing is wrong with the line because local tests are alright needs to change. Perhaps @PBCool should get them include this CPE test in the list of troubleshooting steps, because as it is, this seems to be something overlooked.

I'll contact vumatel now, thankfully my area manager is a very amicable guy!
Yep that would have been ideal but I dont think any of the ISP's have alot of hands on experience with vumatel equipment in order to point to that for troubleshooting or it might just be the specific tech you talk to. Still I would agree that ISPs dealing with fibre should have a full coverage for troubleshooting for each network they support from the hardware of the network provider(vumatel,openserve,frogfoot etc.) to their own network backend.

DarkSt0rm

Yep that would have been ideal but I dont think any of the ISP's have alot of hands on experience with vumatel equipment in order to point to that for troubleshooting or it might just be the specific tech you talk to. Still I would agree that ISPs dealing with fibre should have a full coverage for troubleshooting for each network they support from the hardware of the network provider(vumatel,openserve,frogfoot etc.) to their own network backend.
Thanks for the help :) Hopefully the CPE will be replaced in the next few days and I'll let you know if the problem is solved or persists. Given the fact that the Gigabit interface on the CPE isn't being manually detected I'm guessing that is the root cause.

However, if it persists what the hell else could it be?

John Tempus

Expert Member
Thanks for the help :) Hopefully the CPE will be replaced in the next few days and I'll let you know if the problem is solved or persists. Given the fact that the Gigabit interface on the CPE isn't being manually detected I'm guessing that is the root cause.

However, if it persists what the hell else could it be?
If it doesn't work, lets cross that bridge when/if we get there. :)

Few things we already established comparing your results with mine is that CISP international bandwidth is not the issue else I would be seeing the same horrendous results so we can rule that out.

There might be a few other potential issues related to different international routing depending on your area which we can get into after the CPE replacement, hopefully we dont need to look that deep. :)

Last edited:

phuma

Gauteng is missing again, for crying out loud. Dropping > 60 % packets

mercury12

Expert Member
Anyone have issues with cool ideas today? My connection keeps dropping and it's terribly slow when it comes back up.

Pho3nix

The Legend
Anyone have issues with cool ideas today? My connection keeps dropping and it's terribly slow when it comes back up.
Same. Think they are going the way of Afrihost.

@PBCool do you guys have enough capacity for the influx of users? Daily from 6:30ish to around 10 the connection becomes crap.
Graph showing you around your max? Could you elaborate on this?
wtf.PNG

waylander

Expert Member
Same. Think they are going the way of Afrihost.

@PBCool do you guys have enough capacity for the influx of users? Daily from 6:30ish to around 10 the connection becomes crap.
Graph showing you around your max? Could you elaborate on this?
View attachment 482986
That's not their max capacity :p

That is just where their traffic util tends to max out, they have a shit load more...

Pho3nix

The Legend
That's not their max capacity :p

That is just where their traffic util tends to max out, they have a shit load more...
tbh it doesn't seem like it as of late. Daily issues in the evening with speeds evening out after 10pm.
Reminds me of a fightclub of a specific ISP where users would say their connection was *** so more users wouldn't join if they read the reviews lol.. maybe we should have done that.

mithrandi

I was seeing huge packet loss on Vumatel for a little while, but it seems to be back to normal. My connection is generally just fine between 18:30 and 22:00, and I'm not seeing any edges on the transit graph that would suggest maxing out throughput somewhere, so I don't think it is a capacity issue; or at least, not a capacity issue on their core network.

waylander

Expert Member
Last mile meaning ??
I'm with Vuma in Northcliff.
Ah, Vuma in Northcliff is Vuma Trenched if you are ever asked

Submit a ticket to support for "official" assistance, but for now would you do a traceroute to bbc.co.uk and post it here?

air

Expert Member
Hi All

Am on Vumatel trenched (Gardens/Western Cape), have not seen any network issues.

Moved after been 13 months on Web Africa(50/50) based on myadsl feedback. Initially had poor performance, but they 'did what they did' and I had decent performance post WA intervention.

Been on Cool Ideas(100/10) for just on 4 days and performance has been poor.

I ran a fast.com test and got results of 2.4Kbps and then 14Mbps. In my time at Web Africa, did not get anywhere close to that.
Also my Terrarium experience has been less than stellar - in the past it has been very decent!
Yes, my connection is not wired, but for the past 13 months it has not been as well.
To understand my landscape, I have pensioners on either side of me who have a very archaic set up and I have not changed my set up.
Really trying to understand how this occurs when nothing has changed on my side apart from a new ISP?

Pho3nix

The Legend
Ah, Vuma in Northcliff is Vuma Trenched if you are ever asked

Submit a ticket to support for "official" assistance, but for now would you do a traceroute to bbc.co.uk and post it here?
Will post it in a couple min, lemme get a wired connection :p

Status
Not open for further replies.