abudabi

Expert Member
With so many variables, chances are likely that there is more than 1 issue. The problem can't be laid to blame at the feet of solely octotel or solely CISP. That's why some in CPT/octotel are fine and some are not... some on CISP are fine and some are not.

Just because Octo/Openserve has issues doesn't mean that CISP doesn't have any internal network issues either. Only a process of elimination will yield more light and right now the focus is on getting the congestion sorted.

PS. I use neither Octo nor CISP but just feel that everyone shouting "it's octo!" , "No it's CISP" is pointless. As frustrating as it is, root cause investigations and resolutions take time.

cytracon

@PBCool

6AM

speedtest-cli --server 2789
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from Cool Ideas Service Provider (Pty) Ltd (155.93.169.XX)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Retrieving information for the selected server...
Hosted by Vodafone UK (London) [9073.28 km]: 192.041 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 89.42 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed......................................................................................................
Upload: 41.37 Mbit/s

8AM

Hosted by Vodafone UK (London) [9073.28 km]: 233.631 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 4.37 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed......................................................................................................
Upload: 15.12 Mbit/s

I really can't use the line like that!

adamr

Executive Member
@PBCool

6AM

8AM

same speeds this morn on metro fibre. highish uploads and single digit downloads ...

but I was told some upgrades coming through today so will wait and see if it solves the problems

Fjorko

International getting about 30 - 40% of my normal speed on Openserve today. Is anything up @PBCool ?

EDIT: Nevermind - I see what the issue is - calling your Connnect dept.

Last edited:

blunt

Expert Member
@PBCool

6AM

8AM

For comparison.. just did the test now on my 50MB on MTN (CPT)

$ speedtest-cli --server 2789
Testing from Cool Ideas Service Provider (Pty) Ltd (155.93.224.XXX)...
Selecting best server based on ping...
Hosted by Vodafone UK (London) [9670.62 km]: 195.516 ms
Download: 62.62 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed................................................................................................
Upload: 52.05 Mbit/s

BrendanMc

Expert Member
So I have a client who is looking at changing from Mweb to CoolIdeas. The fibre was installed by Openserve, and I just want to find out what the difference is in their pricing structure. They have residential prices, which are higher, and then data only which is much cheaper. If the client takes the data only, do they have to pay line rental to Openserve/ Telkom?

TheRoDent

Expert Member
So I have a client who is looking at changing from Mweb to CoolIdeas. The fibre was installed by Openserve, and I just want to find out what the difference is in their pricing structure. They have residential prices, which are higher, and then data only which is much cheaper. If the client takes the data only, do they have to pay line rental to Openserve/ Telkom?
Correct. If you keep the line with Telkom you still have to pay Telkom/Openserve for the line rental. You can get a data-only account (PPPoE username/password) from us for the internet service and we will charge only for that.

Praeses

Expert Member
I see @TheRoDent joined MyBB pretty much when MyADSL started back in the day. In general, CISP clients posting in this thread have been on MyBB for over 10 years. Interesting... :)

@TheRoDent I see a couple of people getting told that latency and packet loss etc will cause single-threaded international speeds to drop. Is there some acceptable speed which CISP strives for? E.g. on a 20Mbps connection - would 10Mbps be acceptable between SA to London? What % packet loss is "normal"?

image132

I see @TheRoDent joined MyBB pretty much when MyADSL started back in the day. In general, CISP clients posting in this thread have been on MyBB for over 10 years. Interesting... :)

@TheRoDent I see a couple of people getting told that latency and packet loss etc will cause single-threaded international speeds to drop. Is there some acceptable speed which CISP strives for? E.g. on a 20Mbps connection - would 10Mbps be acceptable between SA to London? What % packet loss is "normal"?
I'd also like to know at what point for instance a 100mb line is considered "degraded" and is a valid support request.

ryanrich

I'd also like to know at what point for instance a 100mb line is considered "degraded" and is a valid support request.
Well according to Frogfoot around 10% of a 100Mb line is acceptable when talking about international throughput. That's what they told me.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
In my opinion, once you start hitting line speeds of 100mb or more, single destination testing becomes harder and harder as you're more likely to hit bottlenecks further up the chain. A good example is some Speedtest servers that seem to choke up around 20 mbps no matter how good your line is.
For me a good indication of a degraded service is increased latency and packet loss, not necessarily single thread throughput.

ryanrich

In my opinion, once you start hitting line speeds of 100mb or more, single destination testing becomes harder and harder as you're more likely to hit bottlenecks further up the chain. A good example is some Speedtest servers that seem to choke up around 20 mbps no matter how good your line is.
For me a good indication of a degraded service is increased latency and packet loss, not necessarily single thread throughput.
Agreed. I also don't see Ookla's Speedtest as the be all and end all as I get much better results on tests sites like Google Fibre and DSL Reports.

image132

The reason I still post my single thread performance to london on here is because its the closest thing to an accurate representation of the throughput I get when I attempt to watch twitch.

Here's last nights for example taken at 9pm:

And what I was pulling with twitch:
5th Twitch 935PM.jpg

Fun fact twitch can't function at 200 KB/s yet this happens every night without fail.

Since twitch does not have a speedtest server how else can I show that its not working? That single thread throughput is the closest I've got.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Correct. If you keep the line with Telkom you still have to pay Telkom/Openserve for the line rental. You can get a data-only account (PPPoE username/password) from us for the internet service and we will charge only for that.
Similar question to the one above.

If you're on the Frogfoot backbone, can you use multiple ISP's in the same way that you can on Openserve?

eg. I currently run Evonet and Vox simultaneously on an ISPAfrika Openserve Fibre line - would I be able to run Cool Ideas and Vox in the same way on Frogfoot Fibre?

DJZassie

So the Local Twitch Relay server has been horrific the past week or so... Been sending reports and tests from multiple different people around the country on different line providers on twitter. @PBCool

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/403985454191607808/542647557168431115/unknown.png

This was last night's stream... I have a feeling we are experiencing packet loss on the backhaul between SA and London. I say this because the issues are basically identical to the issues the Relay had a few months back and the backhaul was having issues with Packet loss.

stefan9

Executive Member
How do you propose we test then? My issue is download speeds international everything else seems ok.

sand_man

Honorary Master