Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh boy I did not see that. Nevermind that option then.

@PBCool you guys going to offer an actual 1000/100 , 1000/1000 thats not restricted to 1000 local only ? I am a bit surprised in that * about it being local only, there is other service providers with similar 1000/100 unshaped packages at under R2k a month so I did not even think cisp restricted it to local only.
We can but to keep the contention to where we like on the international side the price would be unfeasible for most users. Also this offering is based on a promotion from Vumatel to hit a price point which if you look at other ISPs offering the 1Gbps would know what the price point is.
 
We can but to keep the contention to where we like on the international side the price would be unfeasible for most users. Also this offering is based on a promotion from Vumatel to hit a price point which if you look at other ISPs offering the 1Gbps would know what the price point is.

I think that it is still a good package to be on. Most international content that most people use like Netflix, youtube etc... that would benefit from this are all hosted on local CDN's meaning you will get full speed. As for Twitch, 100MB is more than enough to run multiple twitch streams at the same time.

As for game content with steam, origin, etc... they also have local cdn location that will run at 1Gbps.

To be honest, at those speeds, you'll most likely hit hardware barriers on your local machine before you could max out 1Gbps....
 
We can but to keep the contention to where we like on the international side the price would be unfeasible for most users. Also this offering is based on a promotion from Vumatel to hit a price point which if you look at other ISPs offering the 1Gbps would know what the price point is.

Was just wondering on a ballpark guestimate what a 1000/100 or 1000/1000 would look like. The previous number of R20k a month is not realistic if we are looking at similar contention as with 200/200 or even if its slightless more contented going from 200/200 at R1500 and then 1000/1000 for R20k makes does not make sense.

That said if the realistic number is really R20k a month then of course thats not worth it, id rather organize pulling 5 fiber connections into my place and getting 5x 200/200 packages that would give me the same result and at less than 50% of 1000/1000 suggested R20k cost.
 
Was just wondering on a ballpark guestimate what a 1000/100 or 1000/1000 would look like. The previous number of R20k a month is not realistic if we are looking at similar contention as with 200/200 or even if its slightless more contented going from 200/200 at R1500 and then 1000/1000 for R20k makes does not make sense.

That said if the realistic number is really R20k a month then of course thats not worth it, id rather organize pulling 5 fiber connections into my place and getting 5x 200/200 packages that would give me the same result and at less than 50% of 1000/1000 suggested R20k cost.
They look at it like this 1 person pulling 1G is a lot at once and having 5 people on 200Mbps lines all pulling 200Mbps at once is highly unlucky hence why the price climbs like that.
 
They look at it like this 1 person pulling 1G is a lot at once and having 5 people on 200Mbps lines all pulling 200Mbps at once is highly unlucky hence why the price climbs like that.

I understand how they look at it but the same could be said for 200/200 or 100/100 or 50/50 all the way down. Their point is valid for sure but something that could also be adjusted with reasonable contention adjustments.

I might still give the 1gbit local a go since I have access to a fast local datacenter vpn that could max me out internationally even over local link. For my own purpose I havn't been in the download-the-internet game for many years but still I do have situations where I need to upload 500GB or more of post analytical data every other week to server in USA that 1Gbit would just make it that much more convenient.

Id even be happy with a package that give me 1Gbit access international directly from 8pm to 6am during my work hours. I will just test out the VPN solution to local datacenter and see if it works well enough on the 1Gbit package.

@PBCool Did you guys consider to maybe just upgrade the 200/200 package for users to 1000/200 package so that the original 200/200 international benefits remain and the additional promo 1000 local is thrown in. Could you consider this ?

My only gripe with the new package is the halving on the upload for what is essentially just an upgrade during promo on local end ie. the 1000/100 is for all practical intend a 100/100 package except it cost over R200 more because it allows 1Gbit local only.
 
Was just wondering on a ballpark guestimate what a 1000/100 or 1000/1000 would look like. The previous number of R20k a month is not realistic if we are looking at similar contention as with 200/200 or even if its slightless more contented going from 200/200 at R1500 and then 1000/1000 for R20k makes does not make sense.

That said if the realistic number is really R20k a month then of course thats not worth it, id rather organize pulling 5 fiber connections into my place and getting 5x 200/200 packages that would give me the same result and at less than 50% of 1000/1000 suggested R20k cost.

Obviously the 20k number is for a dedicated 1Gbps service local+intl which is not feasible sure, and definately not the product that we are developing.

Following your math of 5 x 200mbps services you can see for yourself that even that is not feasible.

1Gbps of international transit sold for around R120/mbps a year ago but it has dropped since. But at the risk of sounding like Bill Gates, I'm not entirely sure what someone would do with 1Gbps of international though. Around 200mbps of international is perfectly sufficient for nearly any household.

The theoretical limit for a single TCP connection is around 584Mbps over international latency, and most applications and streams use a single connection.

So, other than the fap factor of running a multithreaded speedtest... ?
 
Last edited:
We are investigating all cases, it is just difficult with the amount of requests like this we get. We should have more devices to go out soon enough for further troubleshooting.
Thanks @PBCool , will wait my turn. In the meantime will try and test and compare with neighbours - if it really is local (and not the ISP) then we might find that multiple users - all with Vuma, but most not on CISP - would have the same issues.
 
Obviously the 20k number is for a dedicated 1Gbps service local+intl which is not feasible sure, and definately the product that we are developing.

Following your math of 5 x 200mbps services you can see for yourself that even that is not feasible.

1Gbps of international transit sold for around R120/mbps a year ago but it has dropped since. Do the math.

Not sure if you somehow misunderstood.

If I pull 5x vumatel fibre to my address and I signup for 5x 200/200 packages at CISP = R7595 for 1000/1000 bonded fibre vs your suggested 1000/1000 pricing of R20k.

What did you not understand from my example ? I am using your own website pricing to make my argument in this case unless you are saying CISP wont allow me to apply for 5 x 200/200 accounts else I do not understand your response.
 
Not sure if you somehow misunderstood.

If I pull 5x vumatel fibre to my address and I signup for 5x 200/200 packages at CISP = R7595 for 1000/1000 bonded fibre vs your suggested 1000/1000 pricing of R20k.

What did you not understand from my example ? I am using your own website pricing to make my argument in this case unless you are saying CISP wont allow me to apply for 5 x 200/200 accounts else I do not understand your response.

I get it, but would you be willing to pay R8k for a 1Gbps service ? I think not. But re-read my post as well, have made some edits.

Anyway, I don't know why you're so intent on arguing with me about it.
 
Another factor we have to consider with a 1Gbps product is that it's not easy to offer it on all networks.

The G-PON specification typically deployed is 2.48Gbps downstream and 1.24Gbps upstream shared amongst a number of users connected to the same passive optical tree, up to 64 users, but in most standard deployments between 16-32 users.

Now, imagine 5 users with a 1Gbps service sharing the 2.48Gbps downlink and all of them insisting that they're not getting their 1Gbps speed.

So this makes it quite tricky to deploy on Vumatel Aerial, Octotel, Frogfoot and other PON networks.

Vumatel Trenched where each subscriber has a 1Gbps dedicated connection to the closest switch could potentially also be a problem. A street cabinet typically has 10-40Gbps of backhaul for several hundred users. Another point of contention.
 
I get it, but would you be willing to pay R8k for a 1Gbps service ? I think not. But re-read my post as well, have made some edits.

Anyway, I don't know why you're so intent on arguing with me about it.

Not sure why you think I am intent on arguing with you. I thought that the reason I gave and pointing out the cost of about R8k is something worth while to pay if I did not have to take the steps of bonding 5x 200/200 , that is the reason I brought this up as possible realistic price and something I would consider paying.

Aside from that I also would consider or even prefer other alternative solutions at much lower cost with a package that offer 1000/1000 local, 200/200 international , and then to make things perfect in my own perfect world possible 1000/1000 international between certain timeframe 6 or 8hrs a day from 8pm-4am or 10pm-4am. Something flexible like that.

Honestly as I type this I would take an offer right this second that gives me 1000/1000 local + 200/200 international + 1000/1000 international between 10pm-4am at R3000 a month. Is that reasonable at all , I don't know but it is something that would work for me.

Again I am not trying to argue with you but merely throwing out suggestions on something that would fit what I require and see if it is doable.
 
Not sure why you think I am intent on arguing with you. I thought that the reason I gave and pointing out the cost of about R8k is something worth while to pay if I did not have to take the steps of bonding 5x 200/200 , that is the reason I brought this up as possible realistic price and something I would consider paying.

Aside from that I also would consider or even prefer other alternative solutions at much lower cost with a package that offer 1000/1000 local, 200/200 international , and then to make things perfect in my own perfect world possible 1000/1000 international between certain timeframe 6 or 8hrs a day from 8pm-4am or 10pm-4am. Something flexible like that.

Honestly as I type this I would take an offer right this second that gives me 1000/1000 local + 200/200 international + 1000/1000 international between 10pm-4am at R3000 a month. Is that reasonable at all , I don't know but it is something that would work for me.

Again I am not trying to argue with you but merely throwing out suggestions on something that would fit what I require and see if it is doable.

So, the base cost is determined by the line profile. For example a 1000/100 line has a specific price from Vumatel and a 1000/1000 has a very different price, and is a fixed configuration not easily chopped and changed without what is called a "profile migration" that incurs migration fees.

So if we consider that we work on the lower priced option with a fixed line profile of 1000/100 a product with a 200/100 international and 1000/100 local speed is the basic design that we have to stick to.

This makes your 1000/1000 international offpeak profile not doable unfortunately.

Anyway, considering what I wrote previously about TCP being limited over a single connection to about 500mbps over international latency, what would you be doing realistically that requires a 1000mbps international?

Do you have large file transfers, video edits etc to upload or download ? I'm just trying to understand your application of all this capacity.

Like I said, @PBCool has been running Gigabit at home for years, and he probably rarely peaks above 120mbps.
 
Do you have large file transfers, video edits etc to upload or download ? I'm just trying to understand your application of all this capacity.

Upload plays a bigger role. Everything you mentioned makes more sense from perspective that pricing and available does not scale linear above the 200/200 price point. Keeping that in mind then I agree its not practical to do.
 
I concur, I would prefer a *1000/200 package, with 1000/1000 for local and 200/200 for international.
 
I don’t think the CISP 1gbs package is as competitive to Websquad’s package. I’d much rather go for Websquad.
 
I don’t think the CISP 1gbs package is as competitive to Websquad’s package. I’d much rather go for Websquad.
1551970643855.png

yeah the same offering is R6000 as to what CISP gives true uncapped not FUP.
What CISP gives already is perfectly fine if one doesnt like it then they know where to go.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X