Do you prefer using Uber or Taxify?

Do you prefer using Uber or Taxify?

• Uber

Votes: 90 73.2%
  • Taxify

Votes: 33 26.8%

• Total voters

blowdart18

I personally hate dealing with Uber, lately you accept a ride and the driver shows on his way to you.
After waiting for about 25 minutes the driver cancels without reason or recourse, and you sit another half hour waiting for a ride.

Used Taxify for a change and driver was prompt, no cancelled rides and only waited a fraction of the time.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
I have been using Taxify & Uber almost daily since about mid December.

TL: DR
Taxify is cheaper, but Uber is better.

It also happens often with Taxify that you they will accept the trip & your wait time is 5 minutes indicated, but ends up being much longer - then the driver (after picking you up) will also stop at a petrol station to fill up first. Happens very often.

You can report issues on the Taxify app relating to your trip, but you will always get exactly the same response - word for word - irrespective of the problem you reported.
I was happy to use Taxify until this stopping for petrol **** crept in. Taxify doesn't seem to care with their generic response. Uber keeps on sending me discount codes so I will simply switch back to them.

signates

Expert Member
I personally hate dealing with Uber, lately you accept a ride and the driver shows on his way to you.
After waiting for about 25 minutes the driver cancels without reason or recourse, and you sit another half hour waiting for a ride.

Used Taxify for a change and driver was prompt, no cancelled rides and only waited a fraction of the time.
Having the same issues with Uber recently and cancelled trips.

Installed Taxify today and will test it out.

I mainly use it for my mother in law to pick up my son from school and spending about R1k per month. R50 per day for the return trip.

chefdude98

In a nutshell Uber is more professional.

Taxify constantly runs promos. They smsd me about 50% off my next 3 trips, only to realise it is capped at R40 off.

Taxify drivers notice these promos and on a few occasions drove a longer route to get the fare up. This has happened too many times.

Ordered a Taxify to the airport. I only pay by card. The driver arrives, tells me he doesn't have enough petrol and asks me to cancel & pay with cash. I ordered another ride & luckily had enough time to get to the airport.

Lastly, Taxify gives you range of fare to be paid i.e it isnt a confirmed price. You either pay the minimum or maximum of the price. I always ended up paying close to what uber charges.

At least you know what you will be paying with uber.

The Uber app is better. You can share your "live" location with uber driver & this makes life a lot easier at times. The Taxify app needs an upgrade badly

chefdude98

I have been using Taxify & Uber almost daily since about mid December.

TL: DR
Taxify is cheaper, but Uber is better.

On longer trips Taxify is on average R40 cheaper than Uber (without surge pricing). Taxify does not have a lot of surge pricing but is starting to experiment and will be introducing it.

For shorter trips I always use Uber for the reliability as the pricing is much the same as Taxify.

The same drivers normally work for both Taxify & Uber if the car qualifies. Uber is stricter on their requirements insisting on higher standards of both vehicle and drivers.

With Taxify you WILL be frustrated - Uber is reliable, Taxify is not.

You will very often have Taxify drivers accept your ride and then 5 minutes of waiting later will just cancel the trip, wasting your time. This happens very often. Also, they will accept the trip and just not move towards the pickup location - stalling to see if they perhaps get another trip closer to their location or perhaps an Uber trip at a higher rate (remember they mostly ride for both)

It also happens often with Taxify that you they will accept the trip & your wait time is 5 minutes indicated, but ends up being much longer - then the driver (after picking you up) will also stop at a petrol station to fill up first. Happens very often.

You can report issues on the Taxify app relating to your trip, but you will always get exactly the same response - word for word - irrespective of the problem you reported.

Lately on Taxify I have also experienced where the driver indicates he has arrived and is nowhere in sight. If you look at the map and car movements it seems like the driver is spoofing his location. I take photos of the cars when this happens to prove that the driver never arrived.

Once I also had a Taxify driver not end the trip and carry on driving while "on the clock". When I called him, he said he will end the ride and hung up on me.

Taxify: Unreliable, dodgy drivers & practices (legacy taxi driver tricks), older cars, bad after sales service. Cheaper on longer trips. Price estimates only.

Uber: Reliable, higher standard drivers & vehicles, higher prices consistently, crazy surge pricing. You know what you pay for upfront.

From a driver's perspective Uber is better - although they pay a much higher commission. I think Uber is 25% and Taxify is 15%. They however get much better support from Uber when things go wrong with rides, etc - like when riders don't pay for cash trips, etc.

Uber will assist and help them with problems, with Taxify they pretty much have to sort things out themselves.

Taxify is cheaper for the rider & driver, Uber is better for the rider & driver.

Before the ride starts, with the Taxify App the driver cannot see if it a cash trip or a longer trip, with Uber they can.
Pretty much had the same experience as you.

I also thought i was 1 of the few that experienced this:Taxify says the driver has arrived but car is nowhere to be seen. This has happened on multiple occasions.

chefdude98

I was happy to use Taxify until this stopping for petrol **** crept in. Taxify doesn't seem to care with their generic response. Uber keeps on sending me discount codes so I will simply switch back to them.
I have only experienced this with Taxify & it scares me.

The drivers arrive and they are out of petrol.

I only pay with card but they ask me to cancel & pay with cash.

I was once nervous cos a Taxify driver arrived without petrol, i watched as he looked for whatever little cash he had in his car & we took an uneasy journey to my destination, me hoping we had enough petrol.

Once I was even got into a Taxify, driver asked me if im paying cash, i said no, he cancelled the trip & I had to order another ride.

If anyone would like to use my referral code, simply enter YHK9W under promotions.

It will give you R150 off your first ride.

In the interest of full disclosure, I will also get a credit off my next ride once you use my referral code
On which app@

cyberbob1979

Expert Member
My husband uses Uber all the time for work - and I use it to go to the Airport or the occasional trip out to a Gin Festival or somesuch.

I've never seen an uptick in pricing, surge pricing only occurs on Friday nights and Monday mornings (usually). I think your passenger rating might affect the trip pricing as they might penalise you if you are not a "good passenger" ... They will estimate the Uber price based off the current traffic conditions, and of course there is wait times involved if they have to wait for you. I've checked his invoices for similar Uber trips and it hasn't varied much since he started - and mine either.

I get fair pricing, I pay tips (where applicable) and I use Uber Eats from time to time too. So I don't think I've ever seen myself get penalised. I suspect the variance in pricing when you check and check again is due to the "estimated journey TIME rather than KM's" which is what is causing variances in the price estimates.

This is entirely from my experience though

I've been trying out both the Uber and Taxify service since my car broke down this this month. What i've experienced so far.

1. Most drivers are registered to both services and use whichever has the most ride requests being sent out.

2. Uber will cap the ride estimation so the fee isn't affected by traffic conditions or the driver getting lost or taking the scenic route.. Taxify doesn't do that

3.Taxify drivers will sometimes cancel a trip if you aren't paying cash and they don't have petrol to get to your destination

Overall uber seems to have stricter control over driver behaviour than taxify.. Which is probably why even though drivers are on both platforms, you might recieve better service from Taxify.

Since most of my trips are short i prefer going with taxify since its much cheaper.

For anybody looking to try out Taxify
Use my referral for a free ride "GD9YK"

For existing riders use "GET120" to recieve a R40 discount on your next 3 rides

You need to link your card to be able to redeem these discounts