Explora downloading more than what was queued...? (perplexed)

abriedev

I am posting this in case anyone else has had a similar experience since connecting your DSTV Explora decoder to the internet using the ethernet cable and perhaps DSTV could respond if it seems to be a problem experienced by more people.
Scenario: Last week Thursday I excitedly connected our Explora decoder to the internet to see what Catch Up Plus has on its menu. We selected 6 SD movies for download, totalling about 7GB, I knew we had about 17GB remaining on our capped ADSL product.
The movies downloaded by Friday night, then on Saturday morning I checked and it was all completed.
Saturday morning we had load-shedding for an hour and since then the old router struggled to connect to the internet, being off for long periods of time, so no-one in the family tried to connect using wifi on their phones or laptop.
Much to my surprise on Sunday evening when I logged the fault with Telkom, I saw I had 0GB remaining. Checking the logs I saw that 10GB was downloaded on the Saturday and 3.5GB on the Sunday. Afrihost said that if a big file is downloaded they will not stop it, but if we go over our cap then they will recover additional data from top-ups made.
We have not given out our wifi password to anyone in the neighbourhood, so unless someone has hacked our password they wouldn't be able to use it. Anyway, the router (and wifi) was down most of the weekend.
The only things that were connected to the router were one TV and the Explora, so I summised that maybe the Explora was downloading the same movies once or even twice for some strange reason.
Sound like something you've experienced?
:confused:

Budza

Executive Member
Does the thing auto-resume when connection is interrupted or does it scrap the partial download and start again?

jansdejager

Expert Member
The explora and other pvr's automatically stores the catchup catalog for the applicable time period in case you want to use catch up. I'm guessing the new wifi features loads up on catchup online. Try to disable catchup if you don't use it?

abriedev

I am not sure what it did, as I only discovered it on Sunday after it was all done. It didn't look like it paused and auto-resumed when I checked on Thursday night while it was downloading.

abriedev

Yip, true for Catchup through the satelite dish. The new internet feature allows you to download Catchup Plus content onto the Explora, but only what you select and put in the queue for download. My family didn't download anything extra, the list is still there, and they didn't watch any YouTube on the TV.

jansdejager

Expert Member
Maybe your downloads were interrupted and had to restart. It's not a precise science yet

abriedev

That could be what happened.
I was pretty sure that everything had downloaded by the Saturday morning, but then again, maybe I didn't look that closely.
There haven't been any more surprises so I'll let this go. Thanks for the replies folks.
Maybe your downloads were interrupted and had to restart. It's not a precise science yet