Telkom call centre was able to track my wholesale order and told me that it says on their side that my installation is scheduled for this Friday, haven't received any confirmation via sms or anything though so will see how it goes and if they show up on Friday:D

(No-one has come for inspection though so I'm confused as to how a installation date was already booked for me)
 
No show today by the installation crew - apparently due to the striking, hopefully I get up and running soon though!
 
Finally installed! There seems to be problems in Walmer and Charlo though because downloads only clocking in at +- 50 - 60 mbps, and also at their Walmer training centre - uploads are giving normals speeds however. We tested using my Afrihost data and the Telkom testing account the techie was given.
 
Speedtest results

Speedtest result to Joburg:
5602021587.png

Speedtest result to Cape Town: (Some people also on internet uploading probably)


Best ping I've gotten to Cape Town is more or less 15ms :D

Seems like the issue was sorted out.
 
Last edited:
Nice one bud. That's better than what I am getting. Image is from March '16.

5173088432.png
 
Speedtest result to Joburg:
View attachment 386280

Speedtest result to Cape Town: (Some people also on internet uploading probably)


Best ping I've gotten to Cape Town is more or less 15ms :D

Seems like the issue was sorted out.

Interesting to see how much upload speeds have increased this year. Man I miss my fibre connection. :(
 
Hi guys, been enjoying my fibre a lot over the last months since my install so haven't been keeping my eye on this thread. Just two things, 1st a question: when did telkom change the line speeds from 25% upload to 50% upload? Only noticed this today. Second thing: anyone have issues with actual browsing vs what speedtest is saying? Atm, speedtest says 9.75 on my 10mbps, 4.8 upload, and 21ms latency, however, can't even browse facebook or stream a video without a lot of buffering? (I've reset everything that can reset + different data accounts etc).

Anyway, hopefully it sorts itself out!
Congrats on your install @joshsparkie
 
Hi guys, been enjoying my fibre a lot over the last months since my install so haven't been keeping my eye on this thread. Just two things, 1st a question: when did telkom change the line speeds from 25% upload to 50% upload? Only noticed this today. Second thing: anyone have issues with actual browsing vs what speedtest is saying? Atm, speedtest says 9.75 on my 10mbps, 4.8 upload, and 21ms latency, however, can't even browse facebook or stream a video without a lot of buffering? (I've reset everything that can reset + different data accounts etc).

Anyway, hopefully it sorts itself out!
Congrats on your install @joshsparkie

Thanks man!

In the beginning they had to do some setting changes or something but otherwise seems like it's now sorted out with my speeds. I think it may have something to do with the ISP, have you possibly got a local VPN to test whether your connection improves over the VPN? (I think most ISP's give VPN a high priority on their networks - I'm not sure if this is true or not though).
Haven't had fibre long enough to notice any slow browsing on some sites - seems fine right now :P

I know in the past when I had uncapped 20mbps vdsl I used a VPN sometimes and it bypassed most shaping
 
Why has Telkom abandoned fibre plans for half of Walmer? Pretty depressing, especially considering that Walmer used to be planned for.
 
I see newton park has been dug up extensively in the last 2 weeks - almost up to Cotswold now.

There is hope for Sunridge and Fernglen.
 
I see newton park has been dug up extensively in the last 2 weeks - almost up to Cotswold now.

There is hope for Sunridge and Fernglen.

Looks like they have reached the 3rd ave dip on that side of cape road, some trenching in the dip too
 
I see lots of fibre-style digging up 6th Ave Walmer just after Target Kloof. I wonder if that's MTN or Telkom. MTN seems more likely considering Telkom has abandoned my section of Walmer according to their map.
 
Hi All
Im thinking of going Fibre, I'm in Walmer and i see MTN have dug fibre down my street. I've read a few pages of this chat. Do you recommend going fibre? any problems i should be aware of ? is the Lte offering better?
Running a bad telkom line at present and need to get rid of this frustrating connection
 
Hi All
Im thinking of going Fibre, I'm in Walmer and i see MTN have dug fibre down my street. I've read a few pages of this chat. Do you recommend going fibre? any problems i should be aware of ? is the Lte offering better?
Running a bad telkom line at present and need to get rid of this frustrating connection
Fibre is first prize.
 
Hi All
Im thinking of going Fibre, I'm in Walmer and i see MTN have dug fibre down my street. I've read a few pages of this chat. Do you recommend going fibre? any problems i should be aware of ? is the Lte offering better?
Running a bad telkom line at present and need to get rid of this frustrating connection

FTTH is definitely way better

I used to get these speeds on my 40mbps vdsl line:
4865434964.png


And now I'm getting these speeds on 100mbps FTTH:
5682201650.png


The fibre connection is very reliable and doesn't get effected by any rain or anything (my VDSL line was impacted a lot by rain, etc) and as you can see I now get very close to what I pay for :D
 
Thanks for the feedback, who is supplying your fibre? I have MTN lines directly in front of my house, anyone on mtn fibre?
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X