Internet insanely slow

MorganB

Hey guys,

I had a 4mbps line but my internet stopped working. Mweb is my ISP while telkom supplies my line. After a long time i managed to get my line fixed (mweb did something funny). Ever since then however I've been getting speeds of maximum 0,5mbps... So I called up Telkom and asked them what was going on and they told me the line wasn't synchronizing and that I've been disconnected for about a month. This doesn't really make sense because the DSL light is solid green and the internet clearly works, just not very well.. So Telkom logged a fault and around 3 days ago it was supposedly fixed. I just upgraded to a 10mbps line which especially irritates me because I'm getting a twentieth of the speed I should be.

I called mweb and they weren't very helpful. What should I do?

Any help appreciated.

- Morgan

DuncanA

Hey guys,

I had a 4mbps line but my internet stopped working. Mweb is my ISP while telkom supplies my line. After a long time i managed to get my line fixed (mweb did something funny). Ever since then however I've been getting speeds of maximum 0,5mbps... So I called up Telkom and asked them what was going on and they told me the line wasn't synchronizing and that I've been disconnected for about a month. This doesn't really make sense because the DSL light is solid green and the internet clearly works, just not very well.. So Telkom logged a fault and around 3 days ago it was supposedly fixed. I just upgraded to a 10mbps line which especially irritates me because I'm getting a twentieth of the speed I should be.

Any help appreciated.

- Morgan

How old is your router?

Also have you done a speed test using the telkom guest account yet to see what the download speeds are?

MorganB

I have done that yes and the router is relatively new, I tried my old router and got the same speed. Also guest account also gives me same speed

DuncanA

I have done that yes and the router is relatively new, I tried my old router and got the same speed. Also guest account also gives me same speed

Then it looks like its your port at the exchange, most likely have to be moved to another port. Your line will synch yes, telkom will pick that up with no problems but that port could be the issue.

I had a similar issue, telkom tried resetting my port, still did not work, i purchased new equipment and still had bad internet speed. Telkom tech checked the jack at my premises and that was fine and lastly they moved me to another port and ever since then it worked perfectly again. *touchwood*

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Hey guys,

Any help appreciated.

- Morgan

Use Telkoms guest account:

guest@telkomadsl
PW: guest

Do a speed test on saix.net and log back onto your openweb account and do a speed test on saix.net and post results here.