ISP for gaming and heavy bandwidth

DarshanN95

Hi Guys

I have been looking around for an ISP to provide VDSL at the best price on a capped account. I have no idea who to choose, i have switched from mweb to affrights to crystal web on a 10mbs line capped accounts put my latency on Xbox Live is so poor.

I heavily Stream from youtube, twitch and do torrenting! If anyone can help :)

Im looking at getting 20mbs-40mpbs line speeds on a possible 100GB and up Capped account. Is latency an issue when gaming on a 20mbs-40mpbs line?

Thanks Guys

fingerprintz.mgr

Have you chatted to Crystal Web support? It could very well be another issue at play here. Chat to their live chat support.

Non the less, you can get free 1GB test accounts from most of the popular ISP's.

Hi Guys

I have been looking around for an ISP to provide VDSL at the best price on a capped account. I have no idea who to choose, i have switched from mweb to affrights to crystal web on a 10mbs line capped accounts put my latency on Xbox Live is so poor.

Im looking at getting 20mbs-40mpbs line speeds on a possible 100GB and up Capped account. Is latency an issue when gaming on a 20mbs-40mpbs line?

Thanks Guys

Electric

Honorary Master
Vox Telecom.

Latency has nothing to do with line speed.
I have 40Mb VDSL and occasionally ping can shoot up to 200ms or above.
It's very rare though.

I game, stream and download.
My son uses Xbox, I am on PC and my wife stream HD.
All flawlessly and all at the same time.

AntiGanda

Banned
Hi Guys

Thanks Guys
Stay away from Axxess, particularly capped 'unshaped' accounts. Torrents are fine, but gaming is very bad.

Cicero

Expert Member
When you say latency is poor on your Xbox, how poor (pingtest numbers)? What games are you playing?

Electric

Honorary Master
When you say latency is poor on your Xbox, how poor (pingtest numbers)? What games are you playing?
My son never complains about poor latency on xbox.
I only notice it on pc as the game I play is very dependent on low pings.

Cicero

Expert Member
My son never complains about poor latency on xbox.
I only notice it on pc as the game I play is very dependent on low pings.
I'm mainly wondering about the OP, because he specifically thinks his latency is bad. I want to know what he classifies as bad.

I also play on Xbox, but only FPSers which are heavily latency dependant...and often people don't really understand latency. They often think having a faster line will help...where it more often than not makes no difference. Or they dont understand differences in games being servers based or p2p for example.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
A business account from VOX. I would say WebAfrica too but some of the comments of late about them make me nervous..

DarshanN95

I'm mainly wondering about the OP, because he specifically thinks his latency is bad. I want to know what he classifies as bad.

I also play on Xbox, but only FPSers which are heavily latency dependant...and often people don't really understand latency. They often think having a faster line will help...where it more often than not makes no difference. Or they dont understand differences in games being servers based or p2p for example.
I play call of duty and Fifa a lot

For instance I get thrown out of lobbies almost every time I play..I normally play 5 games about 4houts apart. Then when I do manage to stay in the lobby there is always a lag or jumping...I have to unload an entire mag before someone is dead! I do live in a student area which might cause a congested exchange that's why I'm thing VDSL might be better as it works on a different frequency...I may be wrong.

DarshanN95

Vox Telecom.

It's very rare though.

How much do u pay for that?

Cicero

Expert Member
I play call of duty and Fifa a lot

For instance I get thrown out of lobbies almost every time I play..I normally play 5 games about 4houts apart. Then when I do manage to stay in the lobby there is always a lag or jumping...I have to unload an entire mag before someone is dead! I do live in a student area which might cause a congested exchange that's why I'm thing VDSL might be better as it works on a different frequency...I may be wrong.
I live in Port Elizabeth...
PE to JHB: 56ms
PE to cpt: 42ms
Those pings look pretty normal to me. I'm not saying you don't have a problem either, I just want you to be sure you really know what your problem is before spending large amounts of money for no real benefit.

Be aware Fifa and COD are p2p based games. And unless you are playing the absolute latest Fifa15 and COD:AW, you are going to have a bad time because you will join international lobbies. Once you do that, you can expect to have issues.

If you're playing the latest of those games, then there should be enough local players to find good lobbies, although not always, so also keep in mind that us locals are still converting to Xbones slowly, so the pool of players to pair with are even less than when it was just 360's. Making the chance of jumping into international lobbies all the more likely.

DarshanN95

I have an xbox 360 with fifa 15 and COD:aw

Im with crystal web on a premium uncapped 4mbs..still no dice

Could it be my router which is 1.5 years old? Maybe the fact that most players are in JHB or CPT?

Do you recommend any ISP that you know for sure has good latency...i could try a trail account.

Cicero

Expert Member
I have an xbox 360 with fifa 15 and COD:aw

Im with crystal web on a premium uncapped 4mbs..still no dice

Could it be my router which is 1.5 years old? Maybe the fact that most players are in JHB or CPT?

Do you recommend any ISP that you know for sure has good latency...i could try a trail account.
And you're sure you're in local lobbies?

Have you forwarded your ports?

DarshanN95

Some game modes such as Search and Destroy places my internationally cause SA players play on team deathmatch.

I understand that there i would have massive lag.

when i do play team deathmatch which is 99% of the time...its SA players...you can hear them talking.

what is the details for my to forward the ports?

Voxy

Vox Telecom Representative
Company Rep
A business account from VOX. I would say WebAfrica too but some of the comments of late about them make me nervous..
Vox Telecom.

It's very rare though.

Thank you for the positive feedback :)