Latest Gumtree scammer

Crowley

Executive Member
Can someone do an article on precisely what to look out for with these things? How do you tell the difference between a legitimate EFT sms notification and a fake one, or between a legit payfast payment and a fake one?
Don't trust sms or email messages.

When you can draw the money from your account, that's when you release the goods.

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
Don't trust sms or email messages.

When you can draw the money from your account, that's when you release the goods.
Fair enough, but all the same, while you are taking 3 -5 working days to see if funds clear, you are losing other potential buyers.

And scammers on Gumtree aren't the only people who might be paying you for stuff long distance. So it would be very useful for someone in the know to draw up a list of things to look out for that would help differentiate a real POP from a fake one.

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
Basically this.
You must be able to touch the paper before you lose sight of the product.
As a general rule of thumb yes, but there are other factors here - what if you are small online business just starting up and selling via FB for example (I know quite a few people who are doing this) and cash in hand isn't so easy when your business model is online sales, with a courier delivery, but you aren't big enough to sign up for one of the payment systems.

R13...

Honorary Master
As a general rule of thumb yes, but there are other factors here - what if you are small online business just starting up and selling via FB for example (I know quite a few people who are doing this) and cash in hand isn't so easy when your business model is online sales, with a courier delivery, but you aren't big enough to sign up for one of the payment systems.
Not even online retailers release a product until the EFT has cleared. So you can only make clear to buyers that goods only get dispatched after you see green. Take it or leave it.

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
Not even online retailers release a product until the EFT has cleared. So you can only make clear to buyers that goods only get dispatched after you see green. Take it or leave it.
Unless there is some magic fast clearing system for an online payment orders do get dispatched faster than the payment could possibly appear. I've done EFT payments to both Makro and Takealot that have been dispatched the same day - no way the payment was in their account already. Admittedly both are big stores, but they still can't afford to lose stuff with payments that don't clear.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
If you have a business people should trust you with their money before you trust them with your product.

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
You know, if you don't know the answer to a question, it really isn't helpful to answer it with a non-answer. There are posts here bragging about how the poster spotted the scam - so come on - share what you saw in the POP that said 'fake' to you. What did you check? Otherwise I'm going to dismiss the whole blinking lot of you as faking your scam spotting skills.

Snyper564

Expert Member
Tldr. Either pay me cash or immediate eft and I must see funds in my Acc. Pop doesn't mean anything to me. Don't have that then we don't have a sale.

On that note I do the same. I never waste the sellers time. I always meet. If its too good to be true its likely a scam. I pay cash of immediate eft. Pref cash.

adam88

I did not know about this thread. I sold a few things on Gumtree lately and I had so many scammers contact me, many of them take their time now rather than being too eager. I generally have these rules when I want to sell something,
  1. Must be in the area I am advertising in.
  2. If you asked to communicate via email only you're out. Communication via phone only.
  3. Meet in person, in a public space usually at Exclusive Books.
  4. No EFT unless we've met in person and you're on FNB.
I also look out for bad grammar. I am always suspicious of everyone lol.

I like selling on Gumtree, I sold my almost new MacBook to someone, who just had theirs stolen for so much less than a new one and a new PlayStation to someone who would have only been able to afford one next year had they bought one in store.

t_girl

Tldr. Either pay me cash or immediate eft and I must see funds in my Acc. Pop doesn't mean anything to me. Don't have that then we don't have a sale.
... .
Same here.

When I sold my phone on Gumtree last year I had a lot of responses from people who wanted to send me a POP and I told them I was only going to send the phone to them once the money reflected in my account. They would then mention that they needed the phone urgently so I asked them to do an immediate EFT. Once I said that they would disappear.

If they prefer to do cash, then I prefer for them to come to my work office, where 1) there are security guards, and 2) I'm not going to be walking around the street with cash.

I've only sold 1 thing on Gumtree, had a dji mobile gimble which was just laying around.

I know a friend who swapped an old ipad for an iphone, turns out it was icloud locked.
Trust no one on the classifieds!