Latest Gumtree scammer

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
I have just received a message from a guy on Gumtree interested in my camera that I put up for sale, but his email address is the famed charleszuhar1432@gmail.com. Hmmm.

"Hello good morning,your camera is still available?....kindly get back to me on my email cuz am not with my phone right now charleszuhar1432@gmail.com thanks"

I think not, Mr. Scammer!
Play along and see what happens. Report here.

Reactions: OCP

PhireSide

Executive Member
Play along and see what happens. Report here.
Seems to be the usual MO.

Asking to buy it for a relative who stays across the country, wants to use PayFast, refuses to use EFT or anything of the sort, etc.

PhireSide

Executive Member
I proceeded to give him a fake PayFast merchant ID and some bogus details, and he sent me 'payment confirmation details' spread across three very fake emails.

I spotted quite a few things wrong with the mails:

• Sender address is 'releasefunds[at]inbox.lv
  • Hovering over the fake hyperlinked name I gave resolved to a 'reinhard%20Lombard' address. Must be a hyperlink that the scammer forgot to update
  • Formatting and spacing is way off, and about 6 or 7 fonts are used in one email
  • Clicking on the 'contact customer care' link takes me to an error 403 page at mail.com
  • He claims that he wants the package to be sent to Sunnyvale in CPT, but his recipient address is an address in Fourways
  • Use of a .gif to make a little loading circle embedded within the email
  • Clicking the link to 'update my preferences' in one of the emails near the bottom directs me to a PayPal T&C webpage
  • This line got me laughing: "This payment has been approved and deducted from the buyer's account. Your account will definitely be credited as soon as we've verify your shipment. "

PhireSide

Executive Member
Tell him you want to ship it but you can't send waybill as you don't have airtime, then let him buy you a few bucks in airtime before you tell him to piss off.
I really should have :ROFL: good tactic

I let him 'send' the payment confirmation and didn't reply to his constant nagging emails for about an hour, then I told him that I have forwarded the payment confirmations to PayFast (I didn't really but I was playing along) and then he suddenly got very aggressive, demanding that I need to ship it as soon as possible.

I asked him why he first gave me a CPT address and then a JHB one, and he said he forgot that his relative is in JHB for the day. How convenient.

I then called him out on his BS and told him he's a lousy scammer. No reply.

Anyway, herewith his details for the database:

Name: Johnson (Zuhar Charles)
charleszuhar1432@gmail.com

Address: 161 Bridgetown bloubosrand
City: Fourways
State: Gauteng
Code:2188
Cell Phone: 0658184260

Mogo

You should have played along even more and given him a fake collection address.
Or better yet, a real collection address with a fake parcel containing a plunger with a lovely note "Sit on this :)" .

PhireSide

Executive Member
I wanted to, but I only have so much patience for scammers. I have no remorse from them and I really do wish there was a way to get back at them

RandomGeek

I proceeded to give him a fake PayFast merchant ID and some bogus details, and he sent me 'payment confirmation details' spread across three very fake emails.

I spotted quite a few things wrong with the mails:

• Sender address is 'releasefunds[at]inbox.lv
  • Hovering over the fake hyperlinked name I gave resolved to a 'reinhard%20Lombard' address. Must be a hyperlink that the scammer forgot to update
  • Formatting and spacing is way off, and about 6 or 7 fonts are used in one email
  • Clicking on the 'contact customer care' link takes me to an error 403 page at mail.com
  • He claims that he wants the package to be sent to Sunnyvale in CPT, but his recipient address is an address in Fourways
  • Use of a .gif to make a little loading circle embedded within the email
  • Clicking the link to 'update my preferences' in one of the emails near the bottom directs me to a PayPal T&C webpage
  • This line got me laughing: "This payment has been approved and deducted from the buyer's account. Your account will definitely be credited as soon as we've verify your shipment. "
Please post a few pics of the mails. I'm always keen to be better prepared to identify and avoid these bastards

PhireSide

Executive Member
Screenshots of the emails with my personal info redacted. I also highlighted the link which was the first giveaway:

RandomGeek

@PhireSide thanks for posting the details. You can definitely see that English isn't the scammers first language. But I can also see how unsuspecting people new to online shopping can fall for this too

FireFly0071

Christiaan Cobus Slabber, goes by Chris Slabber, car scammer.
Very Slick.

Users both owners and "buyers" of cars as his victims.

One, he "rents" out a car to you on a rent to own basis and you pay him a massive deposit and the monthly installment. Two the person who's car is being "rented" carries all the risk, after a while your car disappears and the tracker gets removed and you're screwed.

Posts Rent to Own ads on Gumtree, apparently works "hand in Hand" with a Antoinette Kleynhans from Vehicle Solutions another reputuable LOOKING business , tons of facebook likes, but same trick, same scam.

Read the reviews on hellopeter, my friend got burned. Thought I'd share in case someone does a google search for his name and hopefully this posts pops up.

plenty of facebook horror stories too "Cobus Slabber Car" "Cobus Slabber Scam".

He does go by Chris Slabber now.

Wow, so cars disappears , rubbish!!

The buyer and the seller signs an Agreement. When the buyer takes the vehicle he pays me a deposit that covers my commission, arrears on the vehicle and also for work to be done when we apply for finance where applicable.

The seller receives a copy of the Agreement with the buyers FICA as well so the seller and buyer are in direct communication.

We install trackers on all of our vehicles and when tampered we get notified. The only time we dont is when the seller has a tracking system on the vehicle and he is can see where the vehicle is at all times.

Now , if you can be so kind to let me know what vehicle and the owner is then I will be able to upload the agreement and if like you said stolen then you should have a case number.

How can you post this on behalf of someone ells. This is hearsay !!

Regards.

Chris Slabber

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Wow, so cars disappears , rubbish!!

The buyer and the seller signs an Agreement. When the buyer takes the vehicle he pays me a deposit that covers my commission, arrears on the vehicle and also for work to be done when we apply for finance where applicable.

The seller receives a copy of the Agreement with the buyers FICA as well so the seller and buyer are in direct communication.

We install trackers on all of our vehicles and when tampered we get notified. The only time we dont is when the seller has a tracking system on the vehicle and he is can see where the vehicle is at all times.

Now , if you can be so kind to let me know what vehicle and the owner is then I will be able to upload the agreement and if like you said stolen then you should have a case number.

How can you post this on behalf of someone ells. This is hearsay !!

Regards.

Chris Slabber
That post was in 2019. Here's one from 2018: https://www.hellopeter.com/christiaan-cobus-slabber/reviews/con-man-christian-cobus-slabbet-2627170
And two hits here from 2017: http://fraudalert.co.za/image-sitemap-1.xml
And another one from 2014: https://incomplaint.com/complaints-reviews/offender/Christiaan+Cobus+Slabbe/
And for some reason this one hit as well, from 2012: https://www.reportacrime.co.za/CrimeReport.aspx?ID=2524

Smooth, mate.