New Webafrica Network Migration

maniac6911

The connection is piss poor in PE since the change over to the new network. Sometimes it is fine but only about 30% of the time. Even loading of websites is odd, like half the page would load then it waits for a bit and the rest of the page loads. Downloads just randomly stop or go down to next to nothing.

Switching ISPs and there are no problems so it isn't a line issue. Going to cancel the data portion if there is not a marked improvement by the end of the week as this is just to frustrating to continue like this.

Tinyt

Since the migration i have been having constant outages of 20+ min at a time

cAv

I really think people need to include some information to help. Things like medium of connectivity (ADSL/VDSL/Fibre), line speed (both up and down), area and carrier (Frogfoot/Vumatel/Openserver/etc.).

Medium of connectivity: Fibre
Line speed: 50Mbps up/5Mbps down
Area: Fairland, Johannesburg
Carrier: Vumatel

Speed seems alright since crossover. Two main issues is the geo-tagging picking up in Bloemfontein and latency to some local services is higher than expected (previously single digit millisecond but now 40-60ms, not a train smash but different since change over).

Hypnza

I was moved over on the 28th. I've had terrible international performance since, eg speedtest to the same international server (local seems fine)

WebAfrica: https://www.speedtest.net/result/8386230623 (0.41meg)
Afrihost: https://www.speedtest.net/result/8386248622 (66meg)

Now I'm fighting with them because I have to give a "full calendar's month" notice of cancellation - meaning I can only cancel end of Aug - despite being given almost no time to try out this network and choose not to be on it, or give them time to fix issues.

Finally got through to a support person after nearly 30 minutes on hold, waiting for a senior billing person to call me back. Even if they fix their network I'm so pissed off with their lack of "custom service" I'm leaving.

Update: a senior billing person just called me back, was very understanding and helpful and has scheduled my cancellation for end of July.

Last edited:

Tharaxis

In Johannesburg by chance?

These speed tests that pick Bloemfontein as the closest location concern me. Still get good results on Speedtest but it just sounds like maybe there's some CDN/peering/routing issue.
Cape Town in this particular case.

Tharaxis

@Hypnza are you using the same fibre line between Afrihost and WA? If so what's the process for switching between them, I've had ISPs tell me that the only way to get an account with them is to transfer the entire Fibre line over to them, but I don't believe that for a second.

wingnut771

Executive Member
@Hypnza are you using the same fibre line between Afrihost and WA? If so what's the process for switching between them, I've had ISPs tell me that the only way to get an account with them is to transfer the entire Fibre line over to them, but I don't believe that for a second.
openserve you can swap isps, vumatel and co, you can't, as account is locked to the line, openserve use ipc so can use pppoe details from any adsl provider.

wingnut771

Executive Member
I was moved over on the 28th. I've had terrible international performance since, eg speedtest to the same international server (local seems fine)

Now I'm fighting with them because I have to give a "full calendar's month" notice of cancellation - meaning I can only cancel end of Aug - despite being given almost no time to try out this network and choose not to be on it, or give them time to fix issues.

Finally got through to a support person after nearly 30 minutes on hold, waiting for a senior billing person to call me back. Even if they fix their network I'm so pissed off with their lack of "custom service" I'm leaving.

Update: a senior billing person just called me back, was very understanding and helpful and has scheduled my cancellation for end of July.
join the club.

Hypnza

openserve you can swap isps, vumatel and co, you can't, as account is locked to the line, openserve use ipc so can use pppoe details from any adsl provider.
Yup, just used an AfriHost 1gb (trial) ADSL account (I'm with OpenServe) - it just works :p Not sure all the specifics behind it, but it's just another PPPoE connection

cavedog

Honorary Master

With Openserve you can just change the pppoe details. You can use any adsl account details for it.

Tinuva

The Magician

can you post traceroutes showing the difference in routing on both AH and WA? Should be interesting, considering both use Echo network.

cavedog

Honorary Master
can you post traceroutes showing the difference in routing on both AH and WA? Should be interesting, considering both use Echo network.
I'm using a Axxess adsl account and the network is the same as Afrihost and despite me really not likeing Afrihost the network is rock solid. If your fibre line is stable like an Openserve line it's amazing. Great low latency to EU and Asia.

Webafrica is routes are similar but something is wrong with the international. The speeds are good then it tanks almost as if the connection gets droppped but the pppoe session is still active....

I will post comparative trace routes and speeds from webafrica and axxess.

Pure_Acid

Last 2 nights in a row, the inernational speed on the new network has been abysmal.

Can we please have it sorted. I will log a ticket tonight about this again.

Pure_Acid

I'm using a Axxess adsl account and the network is the same as Afrihost and despite me really not likeing Afrihost the network is rock solid. If your fibre line is stable like an Openserve line it's amazing. Great low latency to EU and Asia.

Webafrica is routes are similar but something is wrong with the international. The speeds are good then it tanks almost as if the connection gets droppped but the pppoe session is still active....

I will post comparative trace routes and speeds from webafrica and axxess.
Please do post this, as the speeds gaming wise and streaming is terrible, I personally did not experience this on the older network for the past year.

WebAfrica Helper

Web Africa representative
@Hypnza Please DM us with your profile details - we would like to further investigate your comments and assist accordingly

Tinuva

The Magician
Please do post this, as the speeds gaming wise and streaming is terrible, I personally did not experience this on the older network for the past year.
Yeah thats why I asked. I am on Vumatel so cant just switch ISPs. So the fact that 1 ISP performs different from another when both are on Echo, makes me wonder what is different.

Tharaxis

Web Africa, can we get any indication whether issues have been identified? International bandwidth is a major problem, overall network stability is poor, you can see people generally having a substandard experience here. Are there problems? Are the problems being worked on? Prior to the move things were really good and stable, after the move performance is awful.

Only being able to get Twitch streaming reliably at 360p on a 200mbit line when prior to that I could stream 1080p60 fine? No chances that's working as intended and as reported before it's not limited to just that. iTunes, Netflix, and more, are all just as poor. I used to be able to stream from video on demand services at 4K, NOW it's sub 1080p, sometimes just stopping outright - and that's irrespective of time of day. Again, no chances this is working as intended.

We need answers on what the problem is, what's being done to resolve it, and when we can expect things to return back to normal and be working as it was before.