Router Battery Backup

GoB

Expert Member
Thanks to CoCt NGAF... Power off all day, I could test my 18ah battery on alarm + fibre cpe + 2x router + sip phone + pi Zero + a bit.

It dropped to 12.55v after 6 hours.. I think that means still more than 50% left.

Much better than I expected.

RobotWizard

Hi guys,
What would you say would be the best solution for me to keep my Fibre router on during load shedding? I have a Nokia G-240W-C router which has the ONT built in from Vodacom Fibre.
The router has the following ratings: 12V DC 3A

I have seen these mini UPSs on TakeAlot UPS Multi-Voltage 5-12V & UPS 12V (2400mAh) (and it's bigger brother which I can't find since today on TakeAlot), the first one's output is rated at 1A and the second's is rated 2A but my router requires 3A.

Below are pictures of my router and power adapter.

EDIT: Looks like I should just wait for the Ratel 860P :unsure:
IMG_4097.jpg
IMG_4100.jpg

Last edited:

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
My UPS is giving me problems so I wired a 12v alarm battery directly to my vDSL router. Unfortunately our dsl is going down from the other end before the 2 hr mark. Telkom mobile barely lasts an hour before I have to roam.

I'm guessing the odds that Telkom will replace the batteries any time soon is slim.

x7razor

my backup power is also useless since vuma goes down every time since stage 2 LS started looks like the batteries they use can not keep everything up any more even worse on stage 4 previously it would stay up through LS what a waste router on no internet lol

COMPUTEK

Executive Member
my backup power is also useless since vuma goes down every time since stage 2 LS started looks like the batteries they use can not keep everything up any more even worse on stage 4 previously it would stay up through LS what a waste router on no internet lol
Let hope they put the massive rental increase back into NEW batteries :mad:

Lupus

Honorary Master
Strange my areas Vuma can go over 24 hours without power, I know as on the 26th hour just before power came back the ont started flashing.
I have a little mini ups I got from Geewiz and after its battery ran out after 9 hours I hooked it and the alarm up to my inverter which charged them back up.

RobotWizard

What is the actual power usage of the router? That's what you need to look at. The router will pull whatever current it needs from the adapter.
Thanks for your reply. I’ll have to go buy some gadget to measure the actual usage before I can know that. I’ll have a look around for one.

Jola

Honorary Master
Thanks for your reply. I’ll have to go buy some gadget to measure the actual usage before I can know that. I’ll have a look around for one.

Hmm, not convinced by these gadgets, I bought one that has 3X 18650 and it only lasts for 45 minutes on a 5v router that only uses 350mAh on average.

Junk !!!

Maybe I just need to throw out the batteries and buy decent quality batteries.

chickenbeef

Executive Member
Hmm, not convinced by these gadgets, I bought one that has 3X 18650 and it only lasts for 45 minutes on a 5v router that only uses 350mAh on average.

Junk !!!

Maybe I just need to throw out the batteries and buy decent quality batteries.
Crikey, I bought the same 1 off Takealot this week and am waiting for it to arrive. https://www.takealot.com/pss-dc-b300c-mini-ups/PLID65548155

Was skeptical of the 7800mAh rating because the 18650 batteries are 3.7v AFAIK. The batteries are probably connected in series (so 2600mAh in actual fact) instead of parallel?

If it's crap I'll just return it to TAL.

Last edited:

zubeb

Tested the 8800mAh one and it gave me between 7 and 8 hours on my TP-Link access point. More than enough for a days loadshedding.