Router Battery Backup

ld13

Honorary Master
Sorry folks, it's not neat. The batteries are outside the UPS case
Exactly where they are supposed to be! :cool:

2020099_992255.jpg

My camera lens is dirty, so it might not be clear, but note that all my cables are all the same length, to conform to best practices. I also prop the UPS open like this to allow the small USB fan I use to allow better ventilation. Here is a better representation of the above:

PAR BAT.png

Lupus

Honorary Master
Adding a second 7AH battery in parallel to my Mecer 650va UPS seems to have gotten around the 2 hour hard limit :/

Battery voltage was still above 12v when I checked at 2h5m
How much did that all cost? Cause I've had 14 hours powering a planet router and my CPE on the mini ups from Geewiz.

chickenbeef

Executive Member
How much did that all cost? Cause I've had 14 hours powering a planet router and my CPE on the mini ups from Geewiz.
R330.

This setup of mine is powering AC devices (fish tank equipment).

Have a DC-DC setup for the DC devices (routers, switches, CCTV, lights).

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
Exactly where they are supposed to be! :cool:

View attachment 788777

My camera lens is dirty, so it might not be clear, but note that all my cables are all the same length, to conform to best practices. I also prop the UPS open like this to allow the small USB fan I use to allow better ventilation. Here is a better representation of the above:

View attachment 788789
i don't mean to be funny and i might be wrong but your cabling doesnt appear the same length or diameter?

Vuilhaas

R330.

This setup of mine is powering AC devices (fish tank equipment).

Have a DC-DC setup for the DC devices (routers, switches, CCTV, lights).
I have two of the same ups. How long does it take to get to 100% charge with the two batteries?

FrankyF

Now that the Ratels seem sold out everywhere, what is the next best alternative?

HaNsA

Expert Member
Last edited:

ld13

Honorary Master
i don't mean to be funny and i might be wrong but your cabling doesnt appear the same length or diameter?
Forgot to add the sarcasm tag on my post. The diameter and length is supposed to be the same yes, but with such a small setup I doubt if it will be the end of the world. It was more a matter of that is what I had at the time and it simply had to do.

The plan is to get some standard cabling to improve the situation and neaten the setup with at least 1%. Where does one buy cables like that in any case?

chickenbeef

Executive Member
Would also like to know where to get the cables. I'm using ripcord rated at 48V 3Amp and it has been fine so far.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
From anyone who sells DC power equipment such as Communica and equivalent suppliers. Cables should be spec'd according to the maximum current expected on discharge and charge, whichever is the larger, +25%.
It is all about resistance, heat loss and volt drop. Positive and negative should always be exactly the same length, especially if batteries are placed in parallel with other batteries. Otherwise, the battery with the shortest cables will alwys get hammered to most.