Router Battery Backup

zubeb

Hmm, not convinced by these gadgets, I bought one that has 3X 18650 and it only lasts for 45 minutes on a 5v router that only uses 350mAh on average.

Junk !!!

Maybe I just need to throw out the batteries and buy decent quality batteries.
I have this one too. Will test tomorrow and give feedback

Jola

Honorary Master
Tested and it gave 4 hours of backup on my TP Link modem.
Mine must have dud batteries. Will have to install new batteries.

It is new, but I don't trust the warranty on this item.

Jola

Honorary Master
You sure the batteries are charged up when you start?
Yip, was fully charged.

At the second loadshed for the day, it only worked for 15 minutes, I guess that it wasn't fully charged that time.

zubeb

I tested another one again and it gave 4 hours backup.
I charged it from 10:30am till 5:30pm - 7 hours. Then turned off the power and the backup lasted till 9:30pm.
Your one must be a faulty unit.

friedpiggy

Expert Member
Ok, I need a bit of help with the maths here. I am wanting to hook my ONT and router up to a ups system but struggling to figure out the size needed on ups.

Router = 9V 0.85A 7.65VA
ONT = 12V 0.5A 6VA

Wanting to have 2.5 hours of backup or longer if possible since in Durban our load-shedding is 2 hours long.

Was looking at something like this, but not sure about how long it would give me or what formula to use to figure that out - https://www.takealot.com/mecer-650va-line-interactive-ups/PLID53811882/reviews/1

Please help.

Last edited:

DaDon

Hi folks,

Anyone got a battery backup solution for 19v power bricks?
TiA

Cheers
D

Speedster

Executive Member
Ok, I need a bit of help with the maths here. I am wanting to hook my ONT and router up to a ups system but struggling to figure out the size needed on ups.

Router = 9V 0.85A 7.65VA
ONT = 12V 0.5A 6VA

Wanting to have 2.5 hours of backup or longer if possible since in Durban our load-shedding is 2 hours long.

Was looking at something like this, but not sure about how long it would give me or what formula to use to figure that out - https://www.takealot.com/mecer-650va-line-interactive-ups/PLID53811882/reviews/1

Please help.
I'm assuming the numbers given are for the power supply, not actual usage (power supplies are generally over-specced). Let's work on 10w usage for the two devices combined. That means you require 25Wh of power for 2.5 hours of use. At 12V, this equates to 2Ah battery capacity which, for lead acid, is 4Ah nominal.

IIRC that ups has a 7Ah battery so you should be good.

friedpiggy

Expert Member
I'm assuming the numbers given are for the power supply, not actual usage (power supplies are generally over-specced). Let's work on 10w usage for the two devices combined. That means you require 25Wh of power for 2.5 hours of use. At 12V, this equates to 2Ah battery capacity which, for lead acid, is 4Ah nominal.

IIRC that ups has a 7Ah battery so you should be good.
Thanks for getting back to me. I took the figures off the back of the devices themselves since my eyes are no longer good enough to read 1pt black text on a black background. Good news on that front then.

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
Anyone got a battery backup solution for 19v power bricks?

chickenbeef

Executive Member
Got my Mini DC UPS (7800mAh) UPS today and tested it with my Ezviz NVR.

Lasted 3 hours and then I plugged it back in as that's good enough for me so it looks like a good buy if you want something compact.

DaDon

thanks G

i did read pages back, but guess i'd stop at 51 down to 50...
would this be an ok option for the rain 5g router that has PoE power supply, or should I wait for the 860p ratel...
TiA

Cheers
D

brentm

I found myself in a pretty unique postition in that being in an appartment block, I get handed a LAN cable and not a Fibre port. The stuff on the otherside is powered by a gennie and UPS' or something.

Took an older raspberry pi, added a USB wifi dongle, then plugged it into the internet port.
Plugged the Pi into a battery bank, used debain to create a wifi hotspot dongle and used NAT + DHCP, and it works.

It only runs at around 50mbps (The Wifi dongle speed, most likely) and it runs long enough to survive loadshedding and still has some spare power.
My laptop runs long enough as long as I'm not doing something intense, and its better than trying to use my phones internet which dives as soon as loadshedding hits.

When power returns, I swap the WAN cable to the router and plug the power bank back into the modem to charge.

??
Profit.

airborne

Honorary Master
If anyone needs 18650 cells I'm selling a whole bunch, 2hnd but I've checked capacity of them all. It could build a pretty solid battery bank, which is what I was going to do but never got round to it.

Last edited: