SARS E-Filing 2019/20

zerocool2009

Executive Member
I did now my TAX (as in requested my turn). I must say, bloody awesome SARS.

Only for 1 issue, I have one missing TFSA section which is not editable. What is the plan going forward fixing it? Contracting the firm where it is invested ?

Ok : I fixed it. I refreshed data, and could enter it :)

Last edited:

Fareed001

Hey guys, I'm new here, I can see this is efiling 101:p

this is weird to me... (below amounts are made up)

I have been selected for auto assessment with a refund of 2600.
I had adjusted my return due to having additional medical expenses which then brought my final amount to 11200 (SARS owing me). After submitting I had been selected for audit. 3 weeks later I received a notification to say that SARS had adjusted my return. Now I owe SARS 8600. However, they deducted the 8600 from the 11200 they owed me bringing the final amount back to 2600 (initial amount for the auto assessment).

How possible is this, did they just do it to pay me the 2600 or is there something else I should know about?

zerocool2009

Executive Member

I had adjusted my return due to having additional medical expenses which then brought my final amount to 11200 (SARS owing me). After submitting I had been selected for audit. 3 weeks later I received a notification to say that SARS had adjusted my return. Now I owe SARS 8600. However, they deducted the 8600 from the 11200 they owed me bringing the final amount back to 2600 (initial amount for the auto assessment).

How possible is this, did they just do it to pay me the 2600 or is there something else I should know about?

Look at your “statement of account” (the summary), step 1.

Step 2, look at your ITA34 (to see why sars got to their calculations in detail

Fareed001

Look at your “statement of account” (the summary), step 1.

Step 2, look at your ITA34 (to see why sars got to their calculations in detail
Thanks for the info. I'm still lost. I need to be explained in caveman language unfortunately.

It seems like the figures changed from previous assessment to the current assessment. The items changed was "assessed tax after rebates" (increased from previous assessment) and "tax credits and adjustments"(decreased from previous assessment... Also the exact same amount of assessed tax after rebates, just a negative amount).
I hoped I explained it well enough

Koosvanwyk

What information did you submit to SARS supporting the medical claims, was the medical cost for yourself or someone else and did the medical expenses fall within the items that qualify for a tax deduction ( prescribed medicine, payments to registered practitionars etc)

Fareed001

What information did you submit to SARS supporting the medical claims, was the medical cost for yourself or someone else and did the medical expenses fall within the items that qualify for a tax deduction ( prescribed medicine, payments to registered practitionars etc)
Hi Koos

I submitted all my medical receipts that I did not claim from my medical aid as I didn't want my savings to get depleted. My bills included prescribed medication, GP visits. All bills submitted was from registered practitionars. Part of the expenses was for me and part of it was for my wife. She is a dependent on my medical aid. I did pay for her costs.

zerocool2009

Executive Member
I read now all the pages from 1 to 34 (and alot of TFSA issues).

Saw now another fault on my generated document (With bank A -> Interest is shown is correct, but contributions 4219 is R0, but its wrong and non editable).

I for now contacted the bank to fix their crap

Any other ideas how to get it fixed ?

The_Techie

Resident Techie
Completed my return on 30/07, selected for verification, uploaded supporting documents on 01/08, received my completion letter on 28/08 (finalised without changes). Hoping to get my refund this coming week.

DS_

I read now all the pages from 1 to 34 (and alot of TFSA issues).

Saw now another fault on my generated document (With bank A -> Interest is shown is correct, but contributions 4219 is R0, but its wrong and non editable).

I for now contacted the bank to fix their crap

Any other ideas how to get it fixed ?
My son has the same problem with Easy Equities.
On other forum person submitted a correction after filling. He succeeded, but I prefer to sort it out before filling.

zerocool2009

Executive Member
On other forum person submitted a correction after filling. He succeeded, but I prefer to sort it out before filling.

I agree with you.

I contacted the firm holding the TFSA portfolio, requesting to fix their issue first (as its really sad to see we pay them fees for managing portfolio's, and they cant even do basic SARS uploading on their side)

e4et

Expert Member

Same here, with EE.
Even after their letter stating it had been resolved with SARS

gertvanjoe

Expert Member
Could someone maybe explain Itr-dd tax credits. I am legally deaf in one ear so I have an Itr-dd which I submit. I don't have any qualifying expenses related to my ear (it's kaput, no spending will change that), and every year I get some sweet monies back. How is this calculated?

KoosMostert

Norm
Could someone maybe explain Itr-dd tax credits. I am legally deaf in one ear so I have an Itr-dd which I submit. I don't have any qualifying expenses related to my ear (it's kaput, no spending will change that), and every year I get some sweet monies back. How is this calculated?
MA contributions greater than the Med rebate x 4, plus other excess Med expenses, must exceed 7.5% of taxable income, and the excess is then divided by 4 and becomes an additional rebate. When the taxpayer or any dependant has a "certified" disability, then the 7.5% threshold does not apply, and the excess expeses is divided by 3 to become an additional rebate. It is all medical expenses, not just those related to the disability. In addition to the medical expenses, you can also claim disability related expenses, e.g. widening doorways to accommodate wheelchair, etc.

KoosMostert

Norm

MA contributions greater than the Med rebate x 4, plus other excess Med expenses, must exceed 7.5% of taxable income, and the excess is then divided by 4 and becomes an additional rebate. When the taxpayer or any dependant has a "certified" disability, then the 7.5% threshold does not apply, and the excess expeses is divided by 3 to become an additional rebate. It is all medical expenses, not just those related to the disability. In addition to the medical expenses, you can also claim disability related expenses, e.g. widening doorways to accommodate wheelchair, etc.
1598862532666.png

KoosMostert

Norm

You should have the calculation on your assessment.

Fareed001

So after some investigation and comparing my ITA34, mine and SARS revised one, they have updated my "Additional medical Expenses Tax credit". Mine had a higher value compared to the one SARS changed. SARS amount is almost 90 less than the one I submitted. I did submit all the medical bills under supported documents.