SARS E-Filing 2020/21

Udkoepp1979

When it shows Nil it means the instruction for refund has been executed and the money will show in your account within 3 days
OK. Thanks. This if you see my snapshot there you see the minus amount owning to me by SARS but then no mention of when actual refund will be in. Thus it was my reason to seek out other comments among you to enable me to understand where I'm staying there regarding this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210922_200059.jpg
    Screenshot_20210922_200059.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 51

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
OK. Thanks. This if you see my snapshot there you see the minus amount owning to me by SARS but then no mention of when actual refund will be in. Thus it was my reason to seek out other comments among you to enable me to understand where I'm staying there regarding this.
At the bottom it shows 22-09-2021 and closing balance so everything has been finalized. Enjoy the refund.

Udkoepp1979

At the bottom it shows 22-09-2021 and closing balance so everything has been finalized. Enjoy the refund.
Noted. Thank you. However I am not sure of why the electronic refund is not appearing on my transaction if you look at that piece of snapshot. I will have to wait and see within 3 to 7 days (+/+ 1 week).

Udkoepp1979

Hi there, I happened to have a refreshed SOA this morning and see there is a due date for electronic refund. That means only after the letter of completion, there will be updates to the SOA in few days later. So all is good on my side.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Received a call to submit a document with a summary of the expenses I’m claiming for WFH.

Spent the next several hours trying to get through to SARS to find out how I can submit the document with the requested information.

After walking through the desert I was guided to use the SARS website and was provided the case number to input.

I give up.
Efilling > SARS Correspondence > Search Correspondence > Click on the Document Button and Upload Docs

Gudnews

Expert Member

Vades

SARS are giving my tax consultant a hard time over my home office claim. Claim was originally rejected and is currently being disputed.

The main issue seems to be that SARS want pictures of the entire room whereby I only have a picture of my desk, PC and screens. The room was used exclusively for home office for the entire tax year.

The problem is that I moved out of that house at the end of June and I have no other way to prove to SARS that e.g. there was no bed in the room. :rolleyes:

From a purely legal perspective, can they reject the claim based on the fact that I do not have photos of the entire room?

zerocool2009

Executive Member
SARS are giving my tax consultant a hard time over my home office claim. Claim was originally rejected and is currently being disputed.

The main issue seems to be that SARS want pictures of the entire room whereby I only have a picture of my desk, PC and screens. The room was used exclusively for home office for the entire tax year.

The problem is that I moved out of that house at the end of June and I have no other way to prove to SARS that e.g. there was no bed in the room. :rolleyes:

From a purely legal perspective, can they reject the claim based on the fact that I do not have photos of the entire room?

Yes they can. My motto with the taxman... make them happy. Not half happy... but 100% happy

Vades

Yes they can. My motto with the taxman... make them happy. Not half happy... but 100% happy
Sure, if I still lived there, no problem. Surely SARS denying a claim based mainly on the fact that I moved house is unreasonable here. The claim is legitimate and I have satisfied all other requirements.

zerocool2009

Executive Member
Sure, if I still lived there, no problem. Surely SARS denying a claim based mainly on the fact that I moved house is unreasonable here. The claim is legitimate and I have satisfied all other requirements.

You satisfied all the requirements from your side. Sars dont care if you moved house. Think about it.

As I said, make them happy !

Vades

You satisfied all the requirements from your side. Sars dont care if you moved house. Think about it.

As I said, make them happy !
I'd love to, but I'm asking from a legal perspective. Is there a legal requirement in our tax law that states that photographs of the home office need to be taken during the tax year?

surface

Honorary Master
I wonder if an affidavit to say 'I hereby declare..." would work ?

zerocool2009

Executive Member
I'd love to, but I'm asking from a legal perspective. Is there a legal requirement in our tax law that states that photographs of the home office need to be taken during the tax year?

As I said. If you get audited in any way... “Make them happy”.

Tman543

Interesting. I had to submit photos as well and only included what you are mentioning, the "WFH" set up. It got approved.

Is it worth disputing though? if more than R5k then I guess you should take them on.

Vades

I wonder if an affidavit to say 'I hereby declare..." would work ?
Already done and submitted on the advice of my consultant, but it was not signed/stamped by a commissioner of oaths. Apparently that's the next step I need to take.

Vades

Interesting. I had to submit photos as well and only included what you are mentioning, the "WFH" set up. It got approved.

Is it worth disputing though? if more than R5k then I guess you should take them on.
It's more than R5k, and if rejected outright, I'll end up owing them R5k due to fuel taxation.

Koosvanwyk

Not there isn't.

But, in terms of the ITA the onus is on the taxpayer to proof validity of the claim, if you cannot provide the evidence (the reason is irrelevant) then SARS is within their rights to decline the deduction.

zerocool2009

Executive Member
So a friend of mine got audited. But before that, an electronic refund was scheduled. That never happened.

Now sars say he owe's them.

Attachments

• Wesly.JPG
    Wesly.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 53