Smart outdoor security cameras in SA?

Saba'a

Executive Member
I want to buy the Wyze Cam 3 to use outside, and maybe use one inside.
I specifically want something to easily remove and take with me when we move.

My concern is how to power them? They come with a 1A 5V power supply and a 1.8m cable.
How do you guys get power to your cameras?
Option 1 - buy the wyze outdoor camera

Option 2 - buy extension cables for Wyze camera. Amazon stocked ones.

2 Pack 20FT Power Extension Cable Compatible with WyzeCam, Wyze Cam Pan, NestCam Indoor,Blink, Yi Camera,Amazon Cloud Camera,USB to Micro USB Durable Charging and Data Sync Cord(White) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QPHKNN6/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_NRQ2CJRH4FKPBNSVT69C

Option 3 - get an out door plug or adapter.

https://wyze.com/wyze-outdoor-power-adapter.html but not in stock

OR

Wyze sells but US plug fitting. Locally try Henrac or others. Or check out the Sonoff s55 SA plug

Option 4 outdoor kit for wyze cam v3 - personally my preference

Wasserstein 3-in-1 Wired Floodlight, Charger and Mount Compatible with Wyze Cam V3-2000 lumens Powerful Floodlight (White) (Camera NOT Included) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Y1737K...abc_2C3BHBRS3H52Q7NFMTRC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Speedster

Honorary Master
I bought the Xiaomi outdoor wireless cameras on eBucks special. Anyone here have experience with them?

ItherNiT

I want to buy the Wyze Cam 3 to use outside, and maybe use one inside.
I specifically want something to easily remove and take with me when we move.

My concern is how to power them? They come with a 1A 5V power supply and a 1.8m cable.
How do you guys get power to your cameras?

I'm using 4 wyze cam 3's. I also got some mounting hardware off Amazon.

I had an electrician install some plugs in the ceiling and I'm using 5v2A chargers I had lying around to power the camera's. So I'm just running the usb cable out from the ceiling wall to the outside. The entire line also has a shelly, so I can power cycle the all camera's if needed without having to climb into the ceiling.

The new rtsp firmware for wyze cam v3 also integrates nicely into home assistant.

Hemps

Honorary Master
2x Reolink Rlc-520a arrived, one's I ordered using MyUS.

Quality is damn good and the sound detection is flippin amazing, will fiddle some more tonight.

The ones that are coming through PO are awol, farken useless.

Hemps

Honorary Master
Any recommendations on what App I can use with me Emetec TV Box?
To view my Reolinks and maybe the Wyze as well.
Do I have to sideload an app?

ItherNiT

If you loaded rtsp firmware on wyze you can use tinycam on any android tv/device.

furpile

Expert Member
As mentioned Tinycam is on Android TV. You can add your RTSP streams into the app and have the cameras display on the TV. Free version has adds at the bottom, can't remember if they interrupt the stream at intervals, I paid something like R60 for pro.

Saba'a

Executive Member
I am running my 8 reolinks via PC and checking cameras on my phone app.

Those using an NVR with your reolink cameras. Do you prefer dedicated NVR?

For those running via PC. Do have a dedicated PC or on normal PC?

I am consodering getting an NVR.

Also do you have a dedicated monitor? I would like to install 2/3 monitors: in kitchen and bedroom/lounge.

furpile

Expert Member
I am running my 8 reolinks via PC and checking cameras on my phone app.

Those using an NVR with your reolink cameras. Do you prefer dedicated NVR?

For those running via PC. Do have a dedicated PC or on normal PC?

I am consodering getting an NVR.

Also do you have a dedicated monitor? I would like to install 2/3 monitors: in kitchen and bedroom/lounge.
Running it on PC with BI. That PC is also my media PC that is always running. Also runs HA etc.

Like the versatility on PC. If I am away from home I can check the cameras with the Reolink app, but if cell signal is not great it sometimes struggles. Have now set up a Telegram command to send me a screenshot of the cameras on demand, apart from the motion detection images. Don't have a dedicated monitor, but can watch the cameras through the phones, or on the TV. Still considering a mounted tablet for Home Assistant that will display the camera feed as well.

jibo82

I am decidinng between ezviz darkfighter c3x and the tp-link vigi...can anyone advise?

I need to setup 2 cctv cameras on my long driveway. thinking of going POE.

755464620b0a577d68b5e17db9e02227.jpg

s-zoom.file

Mzezman

Running it on PC with BI. That PC is also my media PC that is always running. Also runs HA etc.

Like the versatility on PC. If I am away from home I can check the cameras with the Reolink app, but if cell signal is not great it sometimes struggles. Have now set up a Telegram command to send me a screenshot of the cameras on demand, apart from the motion detection images. Don't have a dedicated monitor, but can watch the cameras through the phones, or on the TV. Still considering a mounted tablet for Home Assistant that will display the camera feed as well.
This is also my setup - except for the Telegram bit.. my HASS is also running on a separate Pi

Saba'a

Executive Member
I am decidinng between ezviz darkfighter c3x and the tp-link vigi...can anyone advise?

I need to setup 2 cctv cameras on my long driveway. thinking of going POE.

755464620b0a577d68b5e17db9e02227.jpg

s-zoom.file
As someone running wifi and poe, I recommend poe. I have 100mbps fibre but still sometimes experience lag on wifi camera. Its 80% of the time quick but sometimes its almost as if wifi camera has to wake up. It works but lag can be irritating.

Thus 7 reolinks are POE.

Any reason not interested in reolinks?

Last edited:

jibo82

As someone running wifi and poe, I recommend poe. I have 100mbps fibre but still sometimes experience lag on wifi camera. Its 80% of the time quick but sometimes its almost as if wifi camera has to wake up. It works but lag can be irritating.

Thus 7 reolinks are POE.

Any reason not interested in reolinks?
Thanks for the warning about WiFi cams.

I currently have a two camera analaog setup for my driveway ( my house is in a pan handle). I wish I had gone Poe from the start.

Tbh, I don’t know much about reolink but I see they are popular here. I will have a look at them on takealot. I am not sure I understand why everyone here is so hyped about reolink vs other brands?

Saba'a

Executive Member
Thanks for the warning about WiFi cams.

I currently have a two camera analaog setup for my driveway ( my house is in a pan handle). I wish I had gone Poe from the start.

Tbh, I don’t know much about reolink but I see they are popular here. I will have a look at them on takealot. I am not sure I understand why everyone here is so hyped about reolink vs other brands?
1. Takealot too expensive. Buy direct.

www.reolink.com

2. Value for money, especially refurbished products. Been running my cameras (new and refurbished) without any issues.

See online reviews on youtube eg lifehackster

Devo1

Expert Member
1. Takealot too expensive. Buy direct.

www.reolink.com

2. Value for money, especially refurbished products. Been running my cameras (new and refurbished) without any issues.

See online reviews on youtube eg lifehackster

And make sure you buy ENOUGH so that they send it via DHL and NOT 4PX

Devo1

Expert Member
2x Reolink Rlc-520a arrived, one's I ordered using MyUS.

Quality is damn good and the sound detection is flippin amazing, will fiddle some more tonight.

The ones that are coming through PO are awol, farken useless.
@Hemps

I see my parcel is stuck at SA Customs

Capture.JPG

jibo82

the reviews for the reolink cams on amazon are not that great tbh

edit: this is just for one model...reviews of other reolink models look good

Last edited:

Juzz Wuzz

I just got myself two new RLC-811a cameras from Amazon. Wasn't going to chance ordering direct and the gamble with DHL vs Post.

These are quite a bit bigger than the 810 but look great. Still need to hook one up outside to compare it to the 810. Zooming is quite useful for me as I can mount the camera more concealed and zoom in where I want.

Mzezman

I'm hoping to add 2/3 more cameras to my set of 6 if the budget allows in Dec / Jan... the 410s i have have been great over the past year and worked flawlessly. I do need 1 camera with extra zoom so looking at the 8xx series as well