Stolen iPhone - trying to hack apple ID password

migraineboy

My wife's iPhone 6 was stolen about a month ago. I activated the Lost phone option on iCloud with my contact details. Last night (19/10) I received SMSs informing me that the phone has been located, from the following numbers:
asking me to login to www.apple.com.ee - clearly a scam. Whomever these scumbags are, they are wanting to retrieve my password for obvious reasons.
My concern is that the 087 numbers are used by a number of VoIP and bulk SMS providers.

Is it worth trying to pursue to see who owns these numbers?

migraineboy

That's correct. I suppose the sentiment is that these are probably con artists of the more sophisticated kind.

krycor

Honorary Master
Unfortunately shows offline. :(
meh.. as long as you tag it as lost before it went offline its useless and they may as well toss the phone. Read some interesting stories about how phones use to be tracked to all kinds of countries prior to the new security changes which make stealing an iPhone pointless unless its unlocked or you know the code.

ahoudet

Expert Member
meh.. as long as you tag it as lost before it went offline its useless and they may as well toss the phone. Read some interesting stories about how phones use to be tracked to all kinds of countries prior to the new security changes which make stealing an iPhone pointless unless its unlocked or you know the code.
They'll use it for spares...

migraineboy

That will be all that they can use if for (as spares). Still getting SMSs from the 087240xxxx range requesting me to login. I wonder if it's automated.

migraineboy

And the saga continues ...

I've been receiving these SMSs pretty much on a daily basis. However, today I received one from
+1 818 659-9178 (resolved to Pasadena, USA - using truecaller)

Contents of the SMS:
Find My iPhone Alert !
Lost iPhone has been Found Click on
http://tinyurl.com/Lostandrecoverpolicy
To review details.

Apple Support.

The link resolves to http://support.verifyappleidhelp.com/IDMSWebAuth/
another fake site.

Mxtoolbox shows the following for the this domain.

Type Domain Name IP Address TTL
A verifyappleidhelp.com 37.61.237.211 20 min

I'm hoping that someone can benefit and not be scammed by these con artists.

Tim_vb

send it to reportphishing@apple.com they block the sites in a day or two

I had the same issue when my iPhone was stolen. In the mean time have some fun giving them some "creative login details.