Telkom Simple queries

ronz91

Expert Member
Hey guys

So with regard to Telkom Simple, its a month to month deal right? but i get free router and installation as I am a new customer. Is it correct to say I can sign up for a month on the Telkom Simple deal, then keep the router and pay ADSL line rental to Telkom then used another ISP eg Afrihost for a larger unshaped cap or uncapped deal? Has anyone done this?
Any idea what modem they give you? Specs?
Also does anyone know what the Free Night Surfer data is about?

Thanx in advance guys

callacalla

a year ago i also joined telkom simple, at first i wanted to use telkom for a month or two only, but decided to stay with them, till now i have no problem, i have 2meg uncapped, i download 300GB every month, i get 2meg top speed.

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
a year ago i also joined telkom simple, at first i wanted to use telkom for a month or two only, but decided to stay with them, till now i have no problem, i have 2meg uncapped, i download 300GB every month, i get 2meg top speed.

Very lucky person

ronz91

Expert Member
yeah thats amazing calla. But i doubt im gonna use 300gb every month. And i can rent the line from telkom and get 40gb capped account for around the same price where as telkom uncapped is more. So can some confirm that after a month non contract telkom simple, i can keep the modem and installation, rent the adsl line from telkom and switch isp's?

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
yeah thats amazing calla. But i doubt im gonna use 300gb every month. And i can rent the line from telkom and get 40gb capped account for around the same price where as telkom uncapped is more. So can some confirm that after a month non contract telkom simple, i can keep the modem and installation, rent the adsl line from telkom and switch isp's?

I believe this is correct. However, please wait for confirmation before confirming.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master

I really doubt that.

Willy Strong

Expert Member
Hey guys

So with regard to Telkom Simple, its a month to month deal right?
Yes.

but i get free router and installation as I am a new customer.
Yes.

Is it correct to say I can sign up for a month on the Telkom Simple deal, then keep the router and pay ADSL line rental to Telkom then used another ISP eg Afrihost for a larger unshaped cap or uncapped deal?
Yes.

Has anyone done this?
Yes.

Any idea what modem they give you? Specs?
Netgear DGN2200Mv2 TELKOM firmware

Also does anyone know what the Free Night Surfer data is about?
eg: 5GB+5GB: 5GB will be used in the day and 5GB free for night surfing

Thanx in advance guys
Pleasure.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Some minor amendments:

They do hand out modems on month-to-month but thats not official. They're giving you ~700 worth of gear with a 199 commitment - its a gesture of goodwill and def not formal.

Is it correct to say I can sign up for a month on the Telkom Simple deal, then keep the router and pay ADSL line rental to Telkom then used another ISP eg Afrihost for a larger unshaped cap or uncapped deal?
Personally I'd consider this deeply unethical, especially if that is the plan from day 1. As explained above it is clearly a gesture of goodwill that is being exploited. Not a big fan of Telkom...but come on...they are cutting consumers some slack here...no need to intentionally screw them over by 500zar.

>>Netgear DGN2200Mv2 TELKOM firmware

You get whatever wifi modem is currently available. Its either the above or one of the D-links. Either will be OK.

callacalla

i pay R460 all included per month for 2meg uncapped with the discount they give me, its not a contract but till now Telkom is the best for me, they gave me a netgear and i did the installation myself.

D3nz

Honorary Master
I took this package in January this year and was told I'd have to keep it for a minimum of 3 months. Still happy with Telkom though, although the price has gone up to R560 per month.
I received a D-link modem.

Last edited:

ronz91

Expert Member
Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Netgear DGN2200Mv2 TELKOM firmware

eg: 5GB+5GB: 5GB will be used in the day and 5GB free for night surfing

Pleasure.

Thanks alot simm_card when did you sign up for Telkom Simple?

ronz91

Expert Member
Some minor amendments:

They do hand out modems on month-to-month but thats not official. They're giving you ~700 worth of gear with a 199 commitment - its a gesture of goodwill and def not formal.

Personally I'd consider this deeply unethical, especially if that is the plan from day 1. As explained above it is clearly a gesture of goodwill that is being exploited. Not a big fan of Telkom...but come on...they are cutting consumers some slack here...no need to intentionally screw them over by 500zar.

>>Netgear DGN2200Mv2 TELKOM firmware

You get whatever wifi modem is currently available. Its either the above or one of the D-links. Either will be OK.

I get what you are saying but I'm pretty sure they are giving the free installation to increase ADSL line rental user base. ADSL line rental with Telkom is something like R165 pm and Simple deal is effectively R200, I don't think I'm really ripping them off. They get more ADSL installations in homes = more line rental fees. Also if D3nz is correct they are making a Simple contract of atleast 3 months.

ronz91

Expert Member
I took this package in January this year and was told I'd have to keep it for a minimum of 3 months. Still happy with Telkom though, although the price has gone up to R560 per month.
I received a D-link modem.

So basically a 3 month contract??

TheTwo

Expert Member
I asked an assistant at the Telkom shop who seemed to know his stuff and he said it definitely isn't uncapped. Who is your source?

Who do you trust man? Who do you trust! My source is their website and proven through my usage

Willy Strong

Expert Member
3 months with Simple.

Mine is not uncapped during those times.

Edit: beware of OOB when Capped.

TheTwo

Expert Member
Oh just remembered I asked this question on mybb previously about the uncapped between midnight and 6am. I'll find that thread