Telkom Simple queries

-Fanatix-

In addition , if cap is reached on Telkom simple , can I then utilize another ISP for blance of month , can this be done ? Sorry for noob q's , I am not very clued up on all this :)

I am looking at purchasing Samsung smart tv , and also taking out a dsl account , ( total newbie ) , so Telkom simple does seem the most cost effective offring at R399 ( as I would pay approx R350 just for normal 2mb line )

I will be getting the free fatpipe data from VOX , so how do I get that to work then on the Telkom simple account ? can it be done ?

Kindly explain / assist :)

gfmalan

Expert Member
You can use any isp, but you have to change your credentials on the router everytime.

Maybe get the simple package, call them in 3 months, and cancel the data part, and take that from other isp.

cavedog

Honorary Master
In addition , if cap is reached on Telkom simple , can I then utilize another ISP for blance of month , can this be done ? Sorry for noob q's , I am not very clued up on all this :)

I am looking at purchasing Samsung smart tv , and also taking out a dsl account , ( total newbie ) , so Telkom simple does seem the most cost effective offring at R399 ( as I would pay approx R350 just for normal 2mb line )

I will be getting the free fatpipe data from VOX , so how do I get that to work then on the Telkom simple account ? can it be done ?

Kindly explain / assist :)

Yes you can use 10 ISP if you want. The simple deal is a bundled option with everything and that is why its so cheap.

You simply change the user name and password then you would be using another ISP. That's the flexabililty of adsl which is nice.

Let me maybe suggest this to you. You will get a new dlink router with the Simple plan. Its a very nice router actually which supports half bridge mode for both lan and wifi. That means you can have 1 user name in the router for example your Telkom user name and then enter your vox fat pipe user name and password in the tv and let the tv use that account if the smart tv supports pppoe dialup which it might but I can't confirm because I don't have one.

That would be a nice solution. You don't have to but you can or just change the user name and password in the router when switching from Telkom to Vox and vice versa.

zizo911

Executive Member
Hi Zizo ,

Just to clarify / make sure ?
so once the 10gb cap is reached , I can still continue to download between 12am & 6am ? ( what download speed do we get between those times ? max 364kbps or up to 2mbps ? )
364Kbps unfortunately.

zizo911

Executive Member
But sometimes it changes. Sone evenings it has gone to 2mbps even though you're cap is reached.

-Fanatix-

Yes you can use 10 ISP if you want. The simple deal is a bundled option with everything and that is why its so cheap.

You simply change the user name and password then you would be using another ISP. That's the flexabililty of adsl which is nice.

Let me maybe suggest this to you. You will get a new dlink router with the Simple plan. Its a very nice router actually which supports half bridge mode for both lan and wifi. That means you can have 1 user name in the router for example your Telkom user name and then enter your vox fat pipe user name and password in the tv and let the tv use that account if the smart tv supports pppoe dialup which it might but I can't confirm because I don't have one.

That would be a nice solution. You don't have to but you can or just change the user name and password in the router when switching from Telkom to Vox and vice versa.

Thanks for the feedback:)

seanaodh

Hey guys, great info here, I just want to clear up some things before I jump on this deal.

What's the cancellation period? How long before do I have to give notice?

How long does it (usually) take to get installation set up? I have a telkom box in my flat so they don't have to run lines or anything.

Has anyone heard of the R700 deposit they require for foreigners? The guy in the Telkom shop told me about this today which was a surprise.

How are the speeds? Close to the 4Mb advertised?

Cheers all!

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
>>What's the cancellation period? How long before do I have to give notice?

Like a month or something? See fine print

>>How long does it (usually) take to get installation set up? I have a telkom box in my flat so they don't have to run lines or anything.

A week or two

>>Has anyone heard of the R700 deposit they require for foreigners? The guy in the Telkom shop told me about this today which was a surprise.

They made me pay that too (SA national)...blank credit record.

>>How are the speeds? Close to the 4Mb advertised?

See the Telkom uncapped feedback thread

gfmalan

Expert Member
>>What's the cancellation period? How long before do I have to give notice?

Like a month or something? See fine print

>>How long does it (usually) take to get installation set up? I have a telkom box in my flat so they don't have to run lines or anything.

A week or two

>>Has anyone heard of the R700 deposit they require for foreigners? The guy in the Telkom shop told me about this today which was a surprise.

They made me pay that too (SA national)...blank credit record.

>>How are the speeds? Close to the 4Mb advertised?

See the Telkom uncapped feedback thread

I had to use it for 3 months before cancelling

cavedog

Honorary Master
I heard about the R700 deposit if you do not have a good credit record so it would make sense if you are not a RSA national but still not a good way to do business. I did qualify for free instalation which was cool.