Spyk3r

Expert Member
Web Africa made the discount smaller. the line initially cost R300 bundled with their 4mbps package. Now it is R400.

Their 4mbps uncapped account remains the same price however. They are now R100 more expensive than Mweb!!! LOL

MickeyD

RIP
Interesting that the table is sorted in price of the 1meg offerings
Also noted that, but I saw it thus:
- The only packages offered by all ISPs are 384 and 1024.
- I don't consider 384 to be broadband, hence it leaves 1024.

roguemat

Expert Member
Axxess JustSurf doesn't deserve to be on that list..
+1.
Got it for my fiances place, and I can barely load two pages at a time. Can't load google while on a Skype call, and don't even think about downloading a file more that 2MB.

LFX

Expert Member
agreed... 384k is not broadband... it should't cost more than R100 for uncapped at that speed

Shayd

Expert Member
Considering the tiny price differences why would someone consider anything other than Mweb?

NathanCrow

I just found out the weekend at the Telkom Direct Store that i'm unable to get Telkom Mix because my adsl line is with Mweb.

Take Note Telkom Mix have nothing to do with ADSL but only with your Analog line,

Telkom Mix you can get a BlackBerry Curve + R250 airtime + BIS + The analog line rentel included on closer plan 1
and free calls from your blackberry one telkom number of your choice for only R299

Now thats a Bargain.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
The table is missing the R130 compulsory line rental charge for every package.

MickeyD

RIP
The table is missing the R130 compulsory line rental charge for every package.
And the author clearly stated that....

The table shows uncapped ADSL packages from the listed ISPs aimed at home users that include line rental for the DSL service. Analogue (voice) line rental is excluded as its value may change under certain circumstances.

Munch

Considering the tiny price differences why would someone consider anything other than Mweb?

Because with Webafrica I get high speeds all day even during peak hours during the week. Mweb shapes during bussiness hours. I am shocked at the R100 increase though. Luckily they still billing me R899

Last edited:

SpoonTech

Because with Webafrica I get high speeds all day even during peak hours during the week. Mweb shapes during bussiness hours. I am shocked at the R100 increase though. Luckily they still billing me R899

What is WebAfrica like if you download large amounts?
Afrihost is horrible with that throttled rolling window.
Switched to Mweb after a week or two, and have never looked back.
(Although MWeb's payment options are rather limited)

Munch

I don't usually download large amount's less than 100GB per month and stay within their parameters.
Though a friend of mine has done 400GB+ in a month.

The trick we both use is restrict torrent speeds during 7:00am-12:00pm to about 140kb/s/10kb upload The result is torrents during the day go at 140kb and you never go over the 6 hour window. However going over the 6 hour or 7 day windows does not mean you will be throttled. You just make yourself a candidate.

I used to have a IS based account and although I easily downloaded 300GB+ per month (shared between 2 users with axxess) daytime throttling was so bad i could not check mail. Never mind browse web or stream youtube. Torrents were 10kb/s in day. Thats why I switched to WA as I demanded daytime quality.

As for gaming performance. I'm not ahardcore gamer. Used to play and host lost of Dota using my IS account without issues. Since im on WA just been waiting for Diablo 3.

Last edited:

zamicro

Expert Member
This table will be looking a bit different if the 384 lines get the bump to 1024.

Necuno

Court Jester

Just read the last 3 pages of any of the WA threads you see that it's a service that you might want to think twice about. WA loves to say HEY download and rest would be taken care of and you will be taken care of by warning letters and account terminations.

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/381863-Web-Africa-Home-Uncapped-Feedback
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthr...ncelled-their-WA-account-in-the-last-2-months
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/358438-WA-what-is-going-on
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/426329-Web-Africa-drops-prices-and-nobody-notice-that

I'd rather suggest an account where you don't have to trick for treats, but just use it. Ask for a trial account of openweb, mweb or axxess and see which one you like most. Best is to go for some product that is of this day and age and doesn't implement stone age bullying namely rolling windows and usage letters.

cozinsky

Expert Member
Why does Jan Vermeulen always leave out Openweb in his comparisons? I have been with Openweb for many years and they are an efficient and low cost provider. They should also be part of the comparison.