Martiman

I've had problems with my phone (Samsung S3) or the cellc network since the day I got it in March. It would suddenly out of nowhere decide that it had no service and stay that way for a couple of minutes to a couple of hours. The problem would then go away for +- a month and happen again.

I called cellc and they said that there where upgrades happening in my area (Zeerust) and would be resolved in a couple of days and it did for a month. Then it happend again and again and again but this time in Pta and again Fochville.

So I drove especially 120km (roundtrip) to my nearest cellc store, where I demanded that I should be given me a new phone that works. But all they did was give me the technical division (or something like that) number that I should call next time the problem happens, but explaining to the operator that I wont be able to call him because I would have no service was to complicated for him to understand. So I left it after a few minutes before I say something I'll regret... Till today

Got at work at 7am no service , it's now past 3pm and still no service... cant receive or call anybody and have to rely on my Vodacom pocket wifi to be in contact with head office.

Either cellc has the worst signal or my phone is broken! Both ways are equally bad as I would have to argue with idiots to get a new phone, or be stuck with a network that I'll never can fully rely on.

So if you're thinking of changing to cellc, like I did... think twice

dsimonse

Port to Telkom Mobile or MTN or Vodacom (assuming its prepaid)
I ported to Cellc because of their cheap data. I ported back to my previous network 2 days later.
I experienced the same problem where the connection would just die and come back later.

poffle

Executive Member
I hate Cell C. I drive from my house to hyperrama and i lose all signal completely.

I goto pretoria and the 3g signal searching destroys my battery within hours, this is on my lumia 920 and my S3. Only thing that keeps me with them is the price of data. so cheeeeeeeeep

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep
I've had problems with my phone (Samsung S3) or the cellc network since the day I got it in March. It would suddenly out of nowhere decide that it had no service and stay that way for a couple of minutes to a couple of hours. The problem would then go away for +- a month and happen again.

I called cellc and they said that there where upgrades happening in my area (Zeerust) and would be resolved in a couple of days and it did for a month. Then it happend again and again and again but this time in Pta and again Fochville.

So I drove especially 120km (roundtrip) to my nearest cellc store, where I demanded that I should be given me a new phone that works. But all they did was give me the technical division (or something like that) number that I should call next time the problem happens, but explaining to the operator that I wont be able to call him because I would have no service was to complicated for him to understand. So I left it after a few minutes before I say something I'll regret... Till today

Got at work at 7am no service , it's now past 3pm and still no service... cant receive or call anybody and have to rely on my Vodacom pocket wifi to be in contact with head office.

Either cellc has the worst signal or my phone is broken! Both ways are equally bad as I would have to argue with idiots to get a new phone, or be stuck with a network that I'll never can fully rely on.

So if you're thinking of changing to cellc, like I did... think twice
It sounds like there might be a problem with the handset. Please PM me your contact details and alternative number. *DM*

mr_norris

Expert Member
I can sort of relate, although I'm not 100% what the problem is. Because:

- I had this problem on my old HTC Desire
- I didn't have this problem on the S2 I was using
- I didn't have this problem on my new HTC One (M8)
- I'm having this problem on the S1 I'm now using (HTC was faulty, sigh).

The only thing I could do to "fix" it was to set the network to GSM mode only. So you roll with GPRS and Edge -_- Sometimes a restart helped, but it was always a temporary solution.

It's very bizarre,.

Martiman

I've tried everything from restarting, taking out the battery, fiddling with basic network settings etc. I'm on contact. I knew 90% that it is my phone fault but trying to convince the people working at the store that my phone is the problem...:mad:

Hopefully complaining on here has worked.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
It sounds like there might be a problem with the handset. Please PM me your contact details and alternative number. *DM*
nah dont think it is his handset. i have also recently ported back to MTN from Cell C, with pretty much the exact same thing happening. Im in the Cape Town area, and had signal loss completely, then back up again, etc. The data rates are nice, but i would sacrifice those rates for a working network

f2wohf

Honorary Master
Have you tried switching off and switching on again the handset ?

Some Cell C BTS have an issue which makes that your handset does not connect to the next available BTS but keeps on trying to connect to one out of range or on full load. Switching off and on allows you to connect to the available one.

Martiman

Have you tried switching off and switching on again the handset ?

Some Cell C BTS have an issue which makes that your handset does not connect to the next available BTS but keeps on trying to connect to one out of range or on full load. Switching off and on allows you to connect to the available one.
That's the first thing I usually do and after that taking out the battery for 5min. Nothing.

Martiman

Where I work there is someone with exactly the same make of phone and network (cellc) as me and he hasn't complained

Ecco

Executive Member
Where I work there is someone with exactly the same make of phone and network (cellc) as me and he hasn't complained
That says handset issue.

I have a device i bought cash, i have had similar issues recently. Phone is running fine, then no connectivty. Reboot the phone, sometimes back to normal, other times issue persists. Very wierd.