Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Gaming PC

Default New Gaming PC

Hi Guys I have around R12-15G's to spend on a gaming rig not sure what is the best thing at the moment what would you guys recommend event if its a bit past that price range.

Give us some more info... Do you want AMD or Intel, nVidia or Ati. How much storage do you want? Are you planning on running 64bit OS? Do you want something that you will upgrade soon or something that will last 2 years or so?

Sorry about that... Which ever processor is better for gaming AMD or Intel the same goes for the graphics card. Storage not a problem, yes most likely Windows 7 Pro 64bit, looking for a pc that will last 2 years or more. If extra cooling is needed that 2
    Last edited by BrianStephan; 03-01-2011 at 12:20 PM.

Well I'm an amd fanboy... So I'd recommend phenom x6 1090t, ddr3 1666/2000 ram. The ati 6870/6970 (budget depending) either asus/ gigabyte motherboard is a good one the coolermaster gladiator 600 is a good solid case, but the haf 922 is better... The best would be to speak to your local pc shop, tell them these specs and ask for an i7 intel equivalent then do some online shopping at prophecy or take2 or wootware... But research your pc... Feel free to IM me if you want any further suggestions... Let's see what the intel fanboys say

SSD, get one even if it's just big enough to install your OS, apps & games. Data can live on a normal drive.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

He doesnt need 6 cores to play a game. Thats just serious overkill.
    Phenom 955 would be fine. i5 760 or i7 860 on the 1156 socket are always a good option. Ati 6950 rather then the 70 as you can flash the 6950 to run same as the 6970 while saving yourself some cash which you can then put towards a SSD to make OS run the way it should.

New Sandy Bridge benchmarks however show that they kill even the i7 980 in most games and costs atm (in dollars) seem to place them in same bracket as current i7's.
    Anywho, Im awaiting the peanut, archer and many of the other find chaps to give a good break down with hyperlinks and everything else. They always know best ^_^

Ahh yes, and for a nice comparison with current gfx cards FPS there is nice little chart you can look at to make up your own mind. LINK
    Last edited by TopCa7; 03-01-2011 at 12:59 PM. Reason: links
    I don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it.
    - Douglas Adams

Default Wait..

Perhaps we should start with which games you intend playing?

That will give some idea as to the graphics requirements and the PC performance requirements.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Yeah, what do you intend to play?

Also, what should the "rig" include? The case (with all the necessary components) + keyboard, mouse, screen & OS?

If you can wait a few weeks still, then you might even be able to get a Socket 1155 (Sandy Bridge) motherboard & CPU!

Thanx for the feedback so far. I am looking for a rig that can play the latest games on highest settings and for those to come 2 - 3 years from now. Just want to upgraded here and there. Just need the rig have a 23 inch samsung monitor and the Z550 logitec surround sound sytem. Will need Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by BrianStephan View Post
    TI am looking for a rig that can play the latest games on highest settings and for those to come 2 - 3 years from now.
    /laughs hysterically
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Quote Originally Posted by BrianStephan View Post
    Thanx for the feedback so far. I am looking for a rig that can play the latest games on highest settings and for those to come 2 - 3 years from now. Just want to upgraded here and there. Just need the rig have a 23 inch samsung monitor and the Z550 logitec surround sound sytem. Will need Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
    Very difficult to predict. Either you'll have to buy (a) new graphic card(s) after 18 months, or you will have to take out lots of cash now for a SLI (double or triple) setup.

What graphics cards / processors are better suited for gaming maybe a better question

If you are going to build one, then maybe start choosing components like the motherboard, case, CPU, power supply and monitor.

Got these specs from a friend, P55 Rampage 3, Core I7 P/930 that does stepping, 6G DDR3 Corsair Dominator ram, Nvidia GTX570 1.5G graphics card, 2tb seagate HD, 750W Power Supply
    Last edited by BrianStephan; 03-01-2011 at 06:02 PM.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

P55 motherboard isn't compatible with Core i7 9xx series CPU's.

Here's what I'll suggest:
    Core i7 950 CPU for R2500
    GTX 570 for R3700
    Antec HCG 620W PSU for R1000
    MSI X58A-GD65 motherboard for R2000
    3x 2GB DDR3 for R850 - R1600 (depending on speed, latency & brand)
    OCZ Vertex 2 / G.Skill Phoenix 120GB SSD for R2400 / R2150 respectively
    1TB HDD for R600
    Coolermaster 690 II Advanced for R1000
    Cogage True Spirit + Bracket for R360 + R75
    Total (incl VAT, excl shipping): ~R14.5k
    Last edited by Pada; 04-01-2011 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Corrected 6GB RAM pricing

Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast