Afrihost MTN Fixed LTE-A Thread

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
My 2c on the Afrihost MTN LTE...

Since they changed from the original rain over to Cell C then MTN my speeds have been great, I have a Rain device too (in a Mikrotik CPE) and its speeds are horrible in comparison. Hell the B618 router with the MTN LTE card has worse reception than my Rain yet it is waaaaay better.

I use my 100 +100 for gaming & updates (COD MW- Warzone). Big updates, MTN flies at up to 60mbps!

AfriGuy

Afrihost
Staff member
Company Rep
Nevermind. This is resolved. I actually WAS capped. Got confused between the peak/off-peak data. On ClientZone I'm usually used to seeing a red/orange? dot next to the product to indicate you are capped. But with the fixed LTE, if you still have night time data, it will still show as a green dot, even if all your peak data is finished.
Hey Saajid, I am happy that you managed to get to the bottom of the issue.

AfriGuy

Afrihost
Staff member
Company Rep
Okay so after pulling my hair out in waiting for puredsl I'm now considering getting an afrihost lte deal.

I'm currently on adsl through telkom but want to tell them F U. Vumareach are trenching in our area so waiting for that so thinking of jumping to this lte on month to month.

Which router can I get which will allow me to bridge the connection to my current router. Not utilising DMZ, but a proper bridge mode. Does any of the mtn approved routers allow bridge mode?
Unfortunately none of the MTN router will allow you to Bridge Nad_isa.

MirageF1

Executive Member
My 2c on the Afrihost MTN LTE...

Since they changed from the original rain over to Cell C then MTN my speeds have been great, I have a Rain device too (in a Mikrotik CPE) and its speeds are horrible in comparison. Hell the B618 router with the MTN LTE card has worse reception than my Rain yet it is waaaaay better.

I use my 100 +100 for gaming & updates (COD MW- Warzone). Big updates, MTN flies at up to 60mbps!
I regularly achieve 100 Mbps speeds on my B618 with AH Fixed LTE MTN sim.
The same router struggled to achieve a few Mbps at best of times on Rain at 2 different properties.
YMMV

nad_isa

Unfortunately none of the MTN router will allow you to Bridge Nad_isa.
Thanks for the feedback :thumbsup: is any of the easier to manage other settings like DMZ, static IP settings and port forwarding etc. any advice on which ones are better than others?

werny

Expert Member
Must say since signing up with Afrihost-MTN Fixed LTE I've been very impressed with the speed and stability, absolutely flying at the moment:

speedtestmtn.PNG

It's currently more stable than my 100Mbps Fibre link, had quite a bit of downtime/maintenance on Fibre the last couple of months, MTN's LTE-A on the other hand is never down or slow. :)

MirageF1

Executive Member
Must say since signing up with Afrihost-MTN Fixed LTE I've been very impressed with the speed and stability, absolutely flying at the moment:

View attachment 869515

It's currently more stable than my 100Mbps Fibre link, had quite a bit of downtime/maintenance on Fibre the last couple of months, MTN's LTE-A on the other hand is never down or slow. :)
First bugger to beat my max of 104 Mbps! :thumbsup:

Reactions: Yuu

RedViking

Nord of the South
My Afrihost FLTE not working tonight. Switched over to ADSL. Hopefully back to normal tomorrow.

• Sad

MirageF1

Executive Member
LOL, it's actually weird seeing that kind of speed on LTE-A when I know people on RAIN's 5G getting way less. Just hope it stays this way.
Mines been ( and long may it remain so) 50-100+ Mbps 24x7 for nearly 12 months now without fail. Minimal downtime. Can't even remember honestly...

• Love

chou56929

Hi guys, and @AfriNatic , can you please help poor soul out on
escalation UY-404-18338
account : 0735736826
Internal Ticket: PMV-830-10705

Story
  • I have reported the case on 2nd of June
  • Problem start from upgrading 500gb package to uncapped package
  • Line speed gone from 60+mb line speed to perfectly 1mb line speed since 1st July after upgrade implemented
  • it now 9th, and no one seems to have any idea, everyday says 24 hours for escalation
  • told me case was only open on 6th (how? i been reporting since 2nd)
In my opinion
something to do with throttling policy or cap management system, as I have some cap left from 500gb from june, and speed was perfect when cap was still carrying over, only dropped to 1mb line speed after the cap is depleted.

And i suspect the new uncapped policy did not kick in properly, or took previous usage in and hence the throttling speed from 1st of July.

Please help me out.........felt like I am back to stone age, and with covid-19, is not helping with, specially working from home.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
escalation UY-404-18338

Story
  • Line speed gone from 60+mb line speed to perfectly 1mb line speed since 1st July after upgrade implemented
  • it now 9th, and no one seems to have any idea, everyday says 24 hours for escalation
In my opinion
something to do with throttling policy or cap management system, as I have some cap left from 500gb from june, and speed was perfect when cap was still carrying over, only dropped to 1mb line speed after the cap is depleted.

And i suspect the new uncapped policy did not kick in properly, or took previous usage in and hence the throttling speed from 1st of July.

Please help me out.........felt like I am back to stone age, and with covid-19, is not helping with, specially working from home.
Hi,

Yes I want to see what is going on. Can you send me you clientzone email let me see what is going on?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
escalation UY-404-18338

Story
In my opinion

What speeds are you generally getting. Does is vary or does it seems capped?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
hello Afrihost :) does one "Who signs up for MTN Fixed LTE-A" have to put up antennas ? :)
Hello! Hope you are well.

Ideally using just the router will be more than enough. If you got a router from us then you need to use an Approved antenna to make sure that the manufacturer covers the warranty if something goes wrong. If you use your own router you can use any antenna you wish and obviously you would need to install it or get someone to install it for you.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
i would have to fork out 4k for antennas to get strong signal? that sucks. i have very weak MTN signal where i live.
Well there is the Poynting xpol-6 is a pretty decent antenna actually. I believe it covers both MTN bands 1 and 3 that are being used for Fixed LTE-A.