Afrihost/MTN Refusing to blacklist stolen device

DRMGA

My iPad Air 2 Wifi & Data was stolen in the first week of December last year. I have been trying to have it blacklisted for two months but Afrihost has constantly made excuses for not doing it. Now Afrihost has stopped responding to my emails altogether (for the last week).

In the last two months:
  1. Afrihost first denied responsibility for taking action regarding the blacklisting, claiming that the device technically had an MTN sim card in it and it was thus the responsibility of MTN to complete the blacklisting (a statement that was once claimed by them in a previous incident with me a few years back and since proven wrong).
  2. I went back to MTN and was sent a letter of proof once again from them informing me that while the sim was an MTN sim, the contract for the sim was between Afrihost and MTN and not with MTN and me. It was thus Afrihost's responsibility to actually request the blacklisting of the device
  3. This is something that Afrihost should have known all along - I am not the first individual to have a device stolen.
  4. Afrihost then sent me a blacklisting form from MTN, asking me to complete and submit back to them, so that they could resolve the blacklisting with MTN
  5. After following up, waiting a few days and then messaging again when I did not receive any response, I was then informed that the ticket between Afrihost and MTN was closed and a new ticket would have to be opened, starting the whole process again
  6. Afrihost then told me that the MTN employee previously dealing with Afrihost was suddenly on leave and I would have to wait longer to receive any further communication.
  7. Following up on another email, I was told that the form I submitted was incorrect because the IMEI number of the device ends with a '3' when apparently MTN only knows about IMEI devices ending in a '0'.
  8. I provided proof of the device IMEI number (purchased in SA) ending in a '3' - a screenshot of my iCloud account page with the IMEI of the device listed, as well as a photo of the original packaging of the device with the IMEI number listed at the back.

In between all of these more than 30 emails back and forth, I have spoken with countless individuals in Afrihost who promise to resolve the issue, with absolutely no follow-up. I want my device blacklisted. I want to open a case report with the police. It has been two months since I first asked Afrihost to blacklist the device - and absolutely NOTHING has been done.

Afrihost - get ready to lose a LOT of customers with service like this. You don't deserve any customer loyalty with the way you treat your clients.

Last edited:

Totempole

Expert Member
I'm not that knowledgeable about iPads, and how they work, but surely the iCloud account is locked to the device? That should effectively render the device pretty much useless to anyone that stole it.

If you had a lock screen on the device, even better.

Unless of course this is for insurance purposes.

Raaz1zn

Please PM me your current number and the number that was in the iPad at the time of loss.

know someone that can assist.

McT

The Humble Scot!

Afrihost - get ready to lose a LOT of customers with service like this. You don't deserve any customer loyalty with the way you treat your clients.
Afrihost lost me due their crappy service. They either didn't care about my issues or their support staff lack the knowledge to resolve them. It felt like I was a number and not a valued customer. I have never regretted parting ways.

Last edited:

breacher

Afrihost lost me due their crappy service. They either didn't care about my issues or their support staff lack the knowledge to resolve them. It felt like I as a number and not a valued customer. I have never regretted parting ways.
+1 - AfriHost has no customer loyalty, they barely deliver minimum service expected let alone go the extra mile. I agree never regretted parting with them - they've chosen their color (red) right, mostly what I saw dealing with them. :twisted: Horrible company with a "do you a favor" attitude.

OCP

Expert Member
Afrihost lost me due their crappy service. They either didn't care about my issues or their support staff lack the knowledge to resolve them. It felt like I was a number and not a valued customer. I have never regretted parting ways.
+1

There are countless ex clients who all left out of frustration and anger.

Lip service and empty promises are the only things they are good at now.

neoprema

Expert Member
the stolen-and-re-used phone market pulls in billions globally for networks as people buy them cheap and re-use them.

I've always been suspicious if the "blacklist" even existed...

AfriGenie

Afrihost
Company Rep
My iPad Air 2 Wifi & Data was stolen in the first week of December last year. I have been trying to have it blacklisted for two months but Afrihost has constantly made excuses for not doing it. Now Afrihost has stopped responding to my emails altogether (for the last week).

In the last two months:
  1. Afrihost first denied responsibility for taking action regarding the blacklisting, claiming that the device technically had an MTN sim card in it and it was thus the responsibility of MTN to complete the blacklisting (a statement that was once claimed by them in a previous incident with me a few years back and since proven wrong).
  2. I went back to MTN and was sent a letter of proof once again from them informing me that while the sim was an MTN sim, the contract for the sim was between Afrihost and MTN and not with MTN and me. It was thus Afrihost's responsibility to actually request the blacklisting of the device
  3. This is something that Afrihost should have known all along - I am not the first individual to have a device stolen.
  4. Afrihost then sent me a blacklisting form from MTN, asking me to complete and submit back to them, so that they could resolve the blacklisting with MTN
  5. After following up, waiting a few days and then messaging again when I did not receive any response, I was then informed that the ticket between Afrihost and MTN was closed and a new ticket would have to be opened, starting the whole process again
  6. Afrihost then told me that the MTN employee previously dealing with Afrihost was suddenly on leave and I would have to wait longer to receive any further communication.
  7. Following up on another email, I was told that the form I submitted was incorrect because the IMEI number of the device ends with a '3' when apparently MTN only knows about IMEI devices ending in a '0'.
  8. I provided proof of the device IMEI number (purchased in SA) ending in a '3' - a screenshot of my iCloud account page with the IMEI of the device listed, as well as a photo of the original packaging of the device with the IMEI number listed at the back.

In between all of these more than 30 emails back and forth, I have spoken with countless individuals in Afrihost who promise to resolve the issue, with absolutely no follow-up. I want my device blacklisted. I want to open a case report with the police. It has been two months since I first asked Afrihost to blacklist the device - and absolutely NOTHING has been done.

I've checked with our Team, and we are able to submit the blacklist request from our side, but the actual request is still done by MTN.

I just need the device details and I'll log it for you.

eXisor

Expert Member
AfriGenie, crying shame that it takes a mybb post to get some action. I hope you're following up with OP to get more details of who he spoke to when so other customers do not have to resort to this. Really shocking.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
AfriGenie, crying shame that it takes a mybb post to get some action. I hope you're following up with OP to get more details of who he spoke to when so other customers do not have to resort to this. Really shocking.
Yeah, send the original employees who can't do their jobs for whippings and reeducation training...

Last edited:

DRMGA

I've checked with our Team, and we are able to submit the blacklist request from our side, but the actual request is still done by MTN.

I just need the device details and I'll log it for you.
Thank you,

Please review this history of tickets for more of an idea of the struggle I've been going through. I've been trying to resolve this with your support staff via email but still no progress:

#NDW-287-94381
#MSL-191-88529
#AFH-140-52787
#NDW-287-94381
#OXL-861-46549
Email exchange with Kgothatso Lechuti "Blacklist query with MTN"
Facebook messenger communication - Please review

The last exchange went as follows:

"We have received feedback from MTN and the blacklisting has been completed with the reference REQ000000193386."

(Just an added note - this is not the first "REQ number" I have been issued, with no resolution)

This lead to:

"Our Team will update you the moment they have it."..."As far as I understand after doing some research, the REQ number is linked to your ITC number pertaining to your particular case. "

Followed by:

"Good morning ***, please could you contact our accounts department as unfortunately I cannot assist you further with this �� ^H"

I contacted your Accounts Department, who had absolutely no idea was I was talking about. I was asked to speak to technical support, and spoke with Machelo, who promised to follow up yesterday. I have not heard from anyone.

I will PM you all the account details/device details. All I want is the ITC number - it's been a nightmare with you guys.

Thank you for your support - I have been busy trying to communicate with Afrihost via emails/phone calls and facebook messenger since my last message and I am still trying, to no avail.

Hopefully AfriGenie can get things sorted for me though - I'm so incredibly frustrated! It's not a complicated/outlandish request - all I want is an ITC number for a blacklisted device. I can't believe it's resorted to this.

Last edited:

DRMGA

Our Team is working to get this done for you, but there have been delays which we are working to get through as quickly as possible.
Don't bother - your team has been incapable of resolving the issue for two months. Of course, I have still not received any feedback from anyone at Afrihost, but at this point, I have no expectations of you as a company. You've ruined yourselves with your incompetence and terrible customer service.

An MTN employee (Voldemort) took notice of the nightmarish experience I've had with you, and very kindly took it upon himself to resolve the issue for me.

It took him exactly 2 Hours to resolve an issue that has taken more than TWO MONTHS for your 14+ employees to fail at. And it wasn't his job, nor his responsibility. That should say something about you as a company.

That is beyond atrocious. I am horrified at the way I have been treated by your company over the last two months.