Afrihost - Pure Fibre Feedback Thread

AfriFella

Afrihost
Company Rep
Yah.. it doesn't seem to really update initially as i was curious about this value. I wonder if that includes the cached data though.. i.e. YouTube, Netflix, Showmax data can likely be cached on the network and likely a large % of the traffic served to home users.
That is a very interesting observation. I believed that cached data still counts because it must still be served to different users.

AfriFella

Afrihost
Company Rep
Thanks @AfriFella i am up and running, just a quick question, i am trying to connect to my work vpn but its timing out all the time, when i use my sim it connects to vpn fine, also on my previous isp i had no issues with vpn.

please advise.
I am glad that you are connected. I believe that you did find a solution to the VPN issue. Please shout if you need anything.

AfriFella

Afrihost
Company Rep
I'm getting <2Mbps to OneDrive for some reason. Speed tests and general performance is otherwise good. This is disappointing considering some recent uploads went at a rock solid 100Mbps without dipping at all, for the first time ever.

The OneDrive web app is at onedrive.live.com. WinMTR to that address looks like this:
Code:
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|                                  Router -    0 |   94 |   94 |    0 |    0 |    1 |    0 |
|                   No response from host -  100 |   19 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
|                   cpt-up1.ip.adsl.co.za -   19 |   55 |   45 |    0 |   11 |   13 |   12 |
|                   cpt-up2.ip.adsl.co.za -    0 |   94 |   94 |   19 |   20 |   26 |   21 |
|                  cpt-net1.ip.adsl.co.za -    0 |   94 |   94 |   19 |   19 |   21 |   20 |
|                  microsoft.ixp.capetown -    0 |   94 |   94 |   16 |   17 |   32 |   17 |
|                   No response from host -  100 |   19 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
|                            13.107.42.13 -    0 |   94 |   94 |   16 |   17 |   19 |   17 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
   WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider
I am seeing some packet loss with google.com though, same as indicated initially above:
Code:
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|                                  Router -    0 |   57 |   57 |    0 |    0 |    1 |    0 |
|                   No response from host -  100 |   12 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
|                   cpt-up1.ip.adsl.co.za -   19 |   33 |   27 |   11 |   11 |   14 |   11 |
|           169-1-21-66.ip.afrihost.co.za -    0 |   57 |   57 |   17 |   17 |   23 |   18 |
|                  cpt-net1.ip.adsl.co.za -    0 |   57 |   57 |   19 |   19 |   21 |   20 |
|    vlan1424.terjhb-igw1.net.echosp.link -    0 |   57 |   57 |   34 |   35 |   36 |   35 |
|           169-1-5-243.ip.afrihost.co.za -    0 |   57 |   57 |   29 |   30 |   43 |   30 |
|                          74.125.245.193 -    0 |   57 |   57 |   34 |   35 |   37 |   36 |
|                            172.253.66.1 -    0 |   57 |   57 |   30 |   31 |   34 |   33 |
|                jnb02s02-in-f4.1e100.net -    0 |   57 |   57 |   37 |   37 |   39 |   37 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
   WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider
:unsure:
I believe onedrive has local servers, which implies that 94ms is really high. This is why you are experiencing packet loss. It is very strange that there is a latency issue around that time of the day. Did the situation improve?

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
no loss, just focus on last hop, pingplotter will give you a better picture.
Just installed PingPlotter. Looks even worse when visualised their way:

I believe onedrive has local servers, which implies that 94ms is really high. This is why you are experiencing packet loss. It is very strange that there is a latency issue around that time of the day. Did the situation improve?
Nope. Had to just give up after a few attempts. And can't upload now as it's still rekt.

AfriFella

Afrihost
Company Rep

Nope. Had to just give up after a few attempts. And can't upload now as it's still rekt.
Ok, please drop me a DM with your B number or clientzone username so I can look into this.

cavedog

Honorary Master

The packetloss on hop 3 is the IPC. I see the same in JHB IPC. It's likely just a device dropping ICMP packets which pingplotter register as packet loss. If there was that much packet loss you would likely not even get 1Mbps. Also packet loss on a line means the packet loss carries to all the hops in a MTR so just seeing packet loss on that hop is not concerning.

wingnut771

Executive Member
@AfriFella what's the eta on eu routing?
i'm mean literally everyone else has 170 or less:
here is mind the speed:
this is getting old and stale, still getting the odd buffer as the connection to RD just dies, even with advancedsettings.xml
i'm sure if the routing was sorted, this issue would be sorted, still counting the days (ie; saving for the R999 cancellation) to when i can move away.

here is yours:

Fjorko

Expert Member
@AfriFella what's the eta on eu routing?
i'm mean literally everyone else has 170 or less:
here is mind the speed:
View attachment 703895
this is getting old and stale, still getting the odd buffer as the connection to RD just dies, even with advancedsettings.xml
i'm sure if the routing was sorted, this issue would be sorted, still counting the days (ie; saving for the R999 cancellation) to when i can move away.

here is yours:
View attachment 703897
Streamed a 20Gb 4k movie last night no problem...no buffering, nothing. Smooth from the start to the end.

Fjorko

Expert Member
then your isp isn't very good imho, try looking glass with websquad, macrolan and mind the speed, all get 170ms.
would explain why my RD was flawless since february, as i've used 2 out of those 3, this month not so good, tick tock ah.

seacom:
View attachment 703939
Prob worth it in your case just to wait it out and go back to ML. I don't think the latency will improve anytime soon tbh.

Seeyou

Expert Member
Can't image Liquid Telecom don't know they're using a less latency efficient route out to EU, honestly. My guess is it's more cost effective for them, in which case I don't see them making any changes at AH's request.