Afrihost Rain LTE-A Alternative

KalAl

Hi,

I switched "up" from my asdl to LTE-A with Afrihost towards the latter part of last year. Besides the delivery, speed, signal and service issues :mad:, I have a few a questions I'm hoping the community can help with. Come the 6 months period, if their service has not improved, I'm switching.

Afrihost has simply gone to the dogs. :erm:

1. Is the B618 Huawei router that comes packaged with some of their deals, locked to the Afrihost/Rain network, or can this be used with another ISP?

2. Who are these other ISP's who can deliver on Speed, adequate Data & coverage?

Thanks for your assistance!

Peon

Expert Member
1. You can persuade the router to use other networks through the use of modification software.
2. Ive found in my area(Hartbeespoort) MTN to work well.

Spaj

Hi,

I switched "up" from my asdl to LTE-A with Afrihost towards the latter part of last year. Besides the delivery, speed, signal and service issues :mad:, I have a few a questions I'm hoping the community can help with. Come the 6 months period, if their service has not improved, I'm switching.

Afrihost has simply gone to the dogs. :erm:

1. Is the B618 Huawei router that comes packaged with some of their deals, locked to the Afrihost/Rain network, or can this be used with another ISP?

2. Who are these other ISP's who can deliver on Speed, adequate Data & coverage?

AFAIK the router itself is not restricted in any way, but the Rain SIM card is restricted to operate only in approved routers (Huawei & ZTE devices).

davyb

I put in my cell c sim today and it worked even getting LTE-A

KalAl

Thanks @davyb , @spaj & @ peon

I am tentatively hoping that an 'upgrade' Rain/Afrihost did recently will hold up. Getting better speeds now, so for now its ok.

and like damn. LTE subscriptions are expensive. :eek:

under_sky

Expert Member
Afrihost fUUcked my package up as some stupid dimple in their company probably got the dates wrong this month and has cancelled my package before the due date and now they obviously can do nothing about it as they that useless thanks god im gone from them and will make sure i dont refer anyone else to them. They have probably gained 20+ clients due to me gonna get them all to switch to cool ideas

Joker

Expert Member
Be aware if you cancel they'll charge you R900 for early cancellation - there is no mention of this when you cancel your package on the site.

Spaj

Be aware if you cancel they'll charge you R900 for early cancellation - there is no mention of this when you cancel your package on the site.
Cancellation after how long? Was this not for the router?

Nameite

Expert Member

Its not, i just got Telkom uncapped and put the sim into my B618 router, and it works perfectly

FaustGS

That's a shame, I had no copper alternative, so Rain LTE was my saving grace in Secunda.

NoFrak

Afrihost/Rain LTE service is abysmal. I am sure that they have oversold the product and towers are seriously over congested. Cosmo City, Wilgeheuwel area.

Ping 22ms Download 0.59Mbps Upload 13.25Mbps
2018-04-23 17:58:58
Server: Johannesburg

Afrihost support pathetic.

I am jumping off if the service doesnt improve.

Napalm

Expert Member
even if it was 5.9mbit (it would not be something to write home about.,..)

these days anything lower than 12mbit or 15mbit is slow (because youtube streamers do 720p and 1080p streams sometimes even 4K)

Things like Netflix also need 4mbit minimum (if you have good enough line you can do 4K too. which is 6gb per hour)

AfriGenie

Afrihost
Company Rep
Afrihost/Rain LTE service is abysmal. I am sure that they have oversold the product and towers are seriously over congested. Cosmo City, Wilgeheuwel area.

Ping 22ms Download 0.59Mbps Upload 13.25Mbps
2018-04-23 17:58:58
Server: Johannesburg

Afrihost support pathetic.

I am jumping off if the service doesnt improve.
:( That's really not the type of experience that we want you to have. Can you please PM me your details, I just need to get a few pieces of information from you so that I can see this through to RAIN.

Napalm

Expert Member
When is Rain/Afrihost going to switch on Real LTE-A ?

LTE-A must have carrier aggregation (getting speed and reliability from 2 different frequency bands and signals at the same time)

Currently that is not happening. So there is no difference between Rain's LTE and LTE-A

If it shows 4G it's LTE. If the modem shows 4G+ it's on LTE-A.

88LS

I've had the same trouble with Afrihost fixed wireless, my telkom 4g is consistently 2-3 times faster and the data usage is waaay inaccurate.