Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjorko

Expert Member
That one is not bad priced ,It can power up your Tv also lol, you think a 850va would do my Job I want it to do ?
Yeah - think you will be OK - not sure how long it will carry them for though.

Maybe consider this one too : I know the Eatons are pretty good also

https://www.takealot.com/eaton-5e-ups-1100va-230v/PLID47486926

I see it doesn't have a 3 prong plug though - only kettle style plugs. You will need something like this

https://www.geewiz.co.za/surge-prot...dIt4etaMNTHhN41UlCF-oBX9KTP1jmPkaAhFGEALw_wcB

So yes - maybe give the 750VA a try - cheap enough, and should last at least an hour and prob more i would of thought.

Last edited:

moms

Yeah - think you will be OK - not sure how long it will carry them for though.

Maybe consider this one too : I know the Eatons are pretty good also

https://www.takealot.com/eaton-5e-ups-1100va-230v/PLID47486926

I see it doesn't have a 3 prong plug though - only kettle style plugs. You will need something like this

https://www.geewiz.co.za/surge-prot...dIt4etaMNTHhN41UlCF-oBX9KTP1jmPkaAhFGEALw_wcB

So yes - maybe give the 750VA a try - cheap enough, and should last at least an hour and prob more i would of thought.
I am looking for one that can last about 3hours or so , maybe the 2000va which I can buy it with my ebucks from takealot lol

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
They installed my FTTH this morning. Took 1 hour they were done by 9:30
Its now 10:30 and all the LEDs are green on the ONT.
@PBCool please get your staff to send that router. Its going to take me too long to configure the Mikrotik and I need to get off this slow-as-lard Telkom LTE

moms

They installed my FTTH this morning. Took 1 hour they were done by 9:30
Its now 10:30 and all the LEDs are green on the ONT.
@PBCool please get your staff to send that router. Its going to take me too long to configure the Mikrotik and I need to get off this slow-as-lard Telkom LTE
It will be faster to setup that Mikrotik router for the weekend, as Cool Ideas takes 24-48Hours to send the router so if you did it today it might only come on Monday

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Yup there is a catch.. the firmware upgrade died and the unit needs TLC with a serial cable to recover. Will do so when there's time. Right now work has a deadline I need to push.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Cool Ideas is basically broken for me this morning.

Downloading a WeTransfer at 15KB/s. Speed test:

7841526009.png

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
S
Cool Ideas is basically broken for me this morning.

Downloading a WeTransfer at 15KB/s. Speed test:

7841526009.png
I'll take that over Telkom LTE which is trundling along at dial-up speeds on international.
Had a crap-load of external clients mail me today asking me WTF is going on with the internet in SA

sand_man

Honorary Master
Nice ! If Only it can stay like that all the time huh !
Yeah, it is honestly flying today!

I mean my iperf is still totally fcked but it simply doesn't mirror my real world experience. Not sure what I should be looking for. I'm not a gamer, my daughter is and I've heard no complaints from her so the packet loss isn't manifesting in game play.

Other than the usual peak hour degradation, I'm not really seeing any degradation indicative of 96% packet loss.

Perplexing!! Almost certain the cause is a simple and mundane one!

Last edited:

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Ja so now that the internet is working better - Loadshedding is back to kick us in the nuts - just cant win in this country

Any recommendations on a good UPS - im too lazy to search.
That's why the internet is working :p

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Yeah, it is honestly flying today!

I mean my iperf is still totally fcked but it simply doesn't mirror my real world experience. Not sure what I should be looking for. I'm not a gamer, my daughter is and I've heard no complaints from her so the packet loss isn't manifesting in game play.

Other than the usual peak hour degradation, I'm not really seeing any degradation indicative of 96% packet loss.

Perplexing!! Almost certain the cause is a simple and mundane one!
I would ignore then.
Don't stress about things you have no control over.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Seems I've come across the reason that Openserve is largely rubbish lately. A buddy down the road came right after driving to our exchange in frustration and dealing with their people directly.

After the Openserve fibre guru came to inspect his setup, he said it took one moment for the guy to bet his life that the issue was the 'outdated' ONT device. The white box that presumably nearly everyone was issued is apparently out of date and due to recent configuration changes doesn't play nice anymore. The new ONT box is a black Nokia one.

I've logged a fault and will be requesting the new box. My buddy should be getting his today, but that guy can't hook me up apparently as I need to go through Telkom/Openserve directly with fault logging.

Fjorko

Expert Member
Seems I've come across the reason that Openserve is largely rubbish lately. A buddy down the road came right after driving to our exchange in frustration and dealing with their people directly.

After the Openserve fibre guru came to inspect his setup, he said it took one moment for the guy to bet his life that the issue was the 'outdated' ONT device. The white box that presumably nearly everyone was issued is apparently out of date and due to recent configuration changes doesn't play nice anymore. The new ONT box is a black Nokia one.

I've logged a fault and will be requesting the new box. My buddy should be getting his today, but that guy can't hook me up apparently as I need to go through Telkom/Openserve directly with fault logging.
I have the new black Nokia ONT - its prob not that - i still have slow speeds some evenings like the others...but hey - if you can get a new one - why not.

Looks like this:

Attachments

• 20180928_152544.jpg
    20180928_152544.jpg
    1,020.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.