Status
Not open for further replies.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Perhaps some bad press would motivate them? Maybe MyBB could run an article on the degradation of their network? It would certainly be more interesting than the 500th paid-for article about how DSTV is so much better than Netflix.

@rpm what do you think?
Who are you talking about? I'm seeing various networks with apparent problems.

Deezo55

Been watching this thread for a while now while trying to choose an ISP and finally decided to go through with CISP

Placed the order with them on Monday and it is up and running today ( Thursday). It has been such an easy experience and I basically had to do nothing, 10/10 so far and the line is running great. Will update as I get some real usage in

David

Hi Paul Please help, once again same story as last year, towards the End of Jan this year our line went down. We rebooted ONT/Routers etc, once back up our super fast 200/200 has now been configure for 100/100. the exact same thing happened last year almost at the same time and took 9 months to resolve (Still waiting for our credit).

I am not prepared to wait 9 months again to get this resolved and so if it is not sorted by 14 Feb 2019 we are going to cancel both our lines and move to another ISP.
[Ticket ID: COOL-20190124-207127] Speed Issues 112 Johannesburg

STORMERSFAN

Been watching this thread for a while now while trying to choose an ISP and finally decided to go through with CISP

Placed the order with them on Monday and it is up and running today ( Thursday). It has been such an easy experience and I basically had to do nothing, 10/10 so far and the line is running great. Will update as I get some real usage in
Yip not the cheapest..but efficient and does what I need it to do which.is all.that I can ask for..I myself was up and running in2.5 days..no complaints yet from 04/01/2019

renagade-wolf

Octotel 100/25 kenilworth Cape Town

Cape Town:

Johannesburg:

London Coreix Ltd [Multi]:

London Coreix Ltd [Single]:

The london Multi is a little missleading since i can push a download manager to get around 75mbps

ryanrich

The london Multi is a little missleading since i can push a download manager to get around 75mbps
Yeah, I don't even bother with Speedtest to London anymore. My result on Ookla is always terrible yet when downloading / uploading or streaming it flies at near line capacity.

Praeses

Expert Member
Yeah, I don't even bother with Speedtest to London anymore. My result on Ookla is always terrible yet when downloading / uploading or streaming it flies at near line capacity.
I wonder speedtest is just like 4 threads or something...and when we download with a download manager it's easily 20 or more threads,.

cytracon

@PBCool CISP Support: "Please kindly note that the screenshots you had sent through to us were on a wireless medium which a medium that we cannot guarentee full speeds over. going forward what we need to do is, every time your internet service starts to slow down or have problems, we will need you to please do speedtest via cable from the router to your device."
I told them several times, that I did the speedtest on a wired device??? And I never sent them screenshots, just the speedtest-cli output:

speedtest-cli --server 2789
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from Cool Ideas Service Provider (Pty) Ltd (155.93.169.XX)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Retrieving information for the selected server...
Hosted by Vodafone UK (London) [9073.28 km]: 349.542 ms
Testing download speed...............................................................................
.Download: 4.70 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed......................................................................................................
Upload: 8.56 Mbit/s

Praeses

Expert Member
@PBCool CISP Support: "Please kindly note that the screenshots you had sent through to us were on a wireless medium which a medium that we cannot guarentee full speeds over. going forward what we need to do is, every time your internet service starts to slow down or have problems, we will need you to please do speedtest via cable from the router to your device."
I told them several times, that I did the speedtest on a wired device??? And I never sent them screenshots, just the speedtest-cli output:

speedtest-cli --server 2789
Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
Testing from Cool Ideas Service Provider (Pty) Ltd (155.93.169.XX)...
Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
Retrieving information for the selected server...
Hosted by Vodafone UK (London) [9073.28 km]: 349.542 ms
Testing download speed...............................................................................
.Download: 4.70 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed......................................................................................................
Upload: 8.56 Mbit/s
Your speeds are so bad, it looks like it was done from a wireless device :whistling:

Fjorko

Expert Member
Your speeds are so bad, it looks like it was done from a wireless device :whistling:
Yeah - this Wifi/LAN thing is really a load of %#^%$#&^. Wifi medium isn't the reason for slow speed in 99% of the cases, unless your setup is REALLY REALLY messed up or something. Or in the unlikely event you borrowed your ouma's wireless G router and you have a 100Mbps account . . . .THEN i can understand

Last edited:

image132

Expert Member
Yeah - this Wifi/LAN thing is really a load of %#^%$#&^. Wifi medium isn't the reason for slow speed in 99% of the cases, unless your setup is REALLY REALLY messed up or something. Or in the unlikely event you borrowed your ouma's wireless G router and you have a 100Mbps account . . . .THEN i can understand
Its not about how reliable it is. When trouble shooting you need to eliminate as many variables as you possibly can to find the cause. Wireless can POTENTIALLY be the cause, so its pretty standard practice to ask people to not use it. Its not saying your wireless is bad its just eliminating one more variable from the equation.

Praeses

Expert Member
Its not about how reliable it is. When trouble shooting you need to eliminate as many variables as you possibly can to find the cause. Wireless can POTENTIALLY be the cause, so its pretty standard practice to ask people to not use it. Its not saying your wireless is bad its just eliminating one more variable from the equation.
The issue is that they assumed it was wireless because it looks like a wireless G speedtest...

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
This must be the worst trace route I've ever seen. Really feel for you Octotel people.

Code:
C:\WINDOWS\System32>tracert www.google.com

Tracing route to www.google.com [216.58.223.36]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    15 ms    28 ms    58 ms  192.168.0.1
  2  1040 ms   268 ms  2366 ms  165.0.10.1
  3    14 ms    46 ms    16 ms  41.71.100.173
  4    25 ms    53 ms    29 ms  10g-cr01.dc1.jhb [41.71.65.62]
  5    25 ms    25 ms    23 ms  google.ixp.joburg [196.60.8.166]
  6    30 ms    25 ms    72 ms  72.14.239.129
  7  1540 ms  1974 ms  1617 ms  jnb01s08-in-f36.1e100.net [216.58.223.36]

Trace complete.
100Mbps turns to 1Mbps with 25-50% packet loss from 5pm every day. This level of congestion shouldn't even be legal.

Looking forward to going home. 1. Because I just don't like anything about Cape Town, but 2. Going to really appreciate my Openserve connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.