Fibre Static IP Addresses

We have a small business which operates from home and at the moment we have 5 static IP addresses with MWEB ADSL. Vumatel is in the process of finalising fibre in our area. According to WebAfrica and Mweb, they can't offer us static IP addresses on a Vumatel Fibre connection. Is this correct or have I been speaking to the wrong people? Is there any other ISPs who can offer me static IP addresses? Apparently, Afrihost and Axxess should be able to, but can anyone confirm this? Thanks!

quovadis

Expert Member
We have a small business which operates from home and at the moment we have 5 static IP addresses with MWEB ADSL. Vumatel is in the process of finalising fibre in our area. According to WebAfrica and Mweb, they can't offer us static IP addresses on a Vumatel Fibre connection. Is this correct or have I been speaking to the wrong people? Is there any other ISPs who can offer me static IP addresses? Apparently, Afrihost and Axxess should be able to, but can anyone confirm this? Thanks!
i have a small capped account with Axxess with a single fixed IP nat however this is with Openserve.

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
Dont know if this helps, but Ive had the same IP address for about 6 months and its supposed to be dynamic. Web Africa on Vumatel. This is a home account, but Im sure it could change at any moment.

Check out https://shop.vumatel.co.za.

All the providers have their goods/services on there and last time I checked some punt a static IP as a selling point.

Otherwise you might have to go with a business account.

Last edited:

Syphonx

Expert Member
I have had the same IP from Crystal Web for 11 months now, unless you changes routers (MAC addresses) your IP probably wouldn't change. It's not a static IP, but it doesn't really change either

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
If all else fails there is always Telkom.

Any reason you can’t get away with DynDNS? Are you hosting?

Thanks for the replies, I'll see if I can't dig up some more info on the Vumatel website.

@SauRoNZA We could get away with DynDNS but we just like the Static IP addresses for hosting some of our servers.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Thanks for the replies, I'll see if I can't dig up some more info on the Vumatel website.

@SauRoNZA We could get away with DynDNS but we just like the Static IP addresses for hosting some of our servers.
Yeah that’s why I asked if you are hosting as you then tend to run into some issues with spam lookups and such.

There is always Telkom but I guess you can’t use them on Vumatel?

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep

If you opt for a business service they should give you a static IP.

coop

Yeah that’s why I asked if you are hosting as you then tend to run into some issues with spam lookups and such.

There is always Telkom but I guess you can’t use them on Vumatel?
You can use Telkom on Vumatel, but I don't think it's worth the sacrifice just to get a static IP. I've had my account for about 9 months now and the IP changed once about 3 months ago during maintenance. I just use https://www.namecheap.com/ for my domain as they are an Enom re-seller and therefor you get quick dynamic updates to your DNS records for free. The IP change was done and propagated across there name servers in a few seconds and then just had to wait for the 1 minute TTL to expire.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
If you want 5 static IP's on fibre you will have to go with a business fibre solution. If you only want one you could try one of the ISP's mentioned above

Hellhound105

Expert Member
I want to use 1 static for IP cameras.......small server.....RDP connections. I am using DDNS but just want my IP to be static

skillet

I want to use 1 static for IP cameras.......small server.....RDP connections. I am using DDNS but just want my IP to be static
I can only think of one reason that DDNS will not suffice and it will not effect any of your requirements above. Cisco S2S tunnels do not work with DNS names so you will need to have IP for that. If my IP has not changed for 5 months, I am considering it as static enough.

PsyWulf

Executive Member
Well, I do not have a static since I could not get one on home account. I have my IP on my client firewalls ACL's so the longer I can keep my IP the least hassle.
Get a small VPS/shell host with a static IP,SSH-> Tunnel out to the firewalls

Hellhound105

Expert Member
DDNS from no-ip.org expires so every 30 days you have to renew.

Now If my IP stays the same......then I can use real DNS servers