CookieSon

Hi all,

I recently moved to Richard's bay and unfortunately cannot get fibre or adsl. I game a lot particularly COD and the like, and as we all know mobile network and NAT do not go well together.

From my research it seems having an unrestricted APN is the only possibility of getting NAT type 2/ moderate NAT on LTE. I'm using a CellC Sim currently and went through the process of filling all the forms and sending to CellC to request an unrestricted APN and sadly have had not luck yet.

My only internet option is fixed LTE and MTN have the best coverage in my area, but from the info on mybroadband it seems they only offer what they call MTNVPN to contracted users for business needs.
Vodacom coverage is horrible in my area so they not an option. Rain I believe do not offer any options on APN or the like that would suit my needs.

Telkom have good speeds and I've heard an unrestricted APN is possible with them? But the thread I got that info was a couple years old.

It's almost impossible to get info from the call centre's and from my experience the reps and users here have a lot more experience.

I would love some Info from anybody with some experience particularly gaming on LTE when it comes to NAT. And whether there's a network that can allow for my needs that you know of. Thanks in advance guys.

buyeye

Expert Member
Telkom's unrestricted apn is done by entering unrestricted in apn section and it works better than adsl for gaming.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Hi all,

I recently moved to Richard's bay and unfortunately cannot get fibre or adsl. I game a lot particularly COD and the like, and as we all know mobile network and NAT do not go well together.

From my research it seems having an unrestricted APN is the only possibility of getting NAT type 2/ moderate NAT on LTE. I'm using a CellC Sim currently and went through the process of filling all the forms and sending to CellC to request an unrestricted APN and sadly have had not luck yet.

My only internet option is fixed LTE and MTN have the best coverage in my area, but from the info on mybroadband it seems they only offer what they call MTNVPN to contracted users for business needs.
Vodacom coverage is horrible in my area so they not an option. Rain I believe do not offer any options on APN or the like that would suit my needs.

Telkom have good speeds and I've heard an unrestricted APN is possible with them? But the thread I got that info was a couple years old.

It's almost impossible to get info from the call centre's and from my experience the reps and users here have a lot more experience.

I would love some Info from anybody with some experience particularly gaming on LTE when it comes to NAT. And whether there's a network that can allow for my needs that you know of. Thanks in advance guys.
Vodacom fibre in Meerensee and Frogfoot fibre going live in most of Richards Bay by end November start December.

As for fixed LTE telkom has the unrestricted apn. You simply change the profile or apn to unrestricted and it will open the nat.

Which area are you? In Meerensee Telkom has 1 tower. In Richards bay there are a couple. 1 at Ricardia. 1 in Veldenvlei. 1 in Brackenham and 2 in the CBD.

Supersonic also sells MTN LTE sim only deals. Axxess sells month to month sim only Telkom deals at relatively decent prices

CookieSon

Vodacom fibre in Meerensee and Frogfoot fibre going live in most of Richards Bay by end November start December.

As for fixed LTE telkom has the unrestricted apn. You simply change the profile or apn to unrestricted and it will open the nat.

Which area are you? In Meerensee Telkom has 1 tower. In Richards bay there are a couple. 1 at Ricardia. 1 in Veldenvlei. 1 in Brackenham and 2 in the CBD.

Supersonic also sells MTN LTE sim only deals. Axxess sells month to month sim only Telkom deals at relatively decent prices
Im in Meerensee, I've been looking at axxess and if I can get unrestricted apn on the month to month then I'm happy.
The supersonic deals are great and speeds are good here but my main concern is the APN and its not possible with MTN.

Thanks for the info

cavedog

Honorary Master
Telkom might not be the best option but gove it a try with a prepaid card and Telkom mo nice deals.

Just change the apn name to unrestricted and you are good to go nothing complicated.

To get open nat use unrestricted as apn and set dmz to the pc or console you are playing on.

CookieSon

Telkom might not be the best option but gove it a try with a prepaid card and Telkom mo nice deals.

Just change the apn name to unrestricted and you are good to go nothing complicated.

To get open nat use unrestricted as apn and set dmz to the pc or console you are playing on.
I'll try it the next couple days and post my results. What other options are there? Vodacom Fibre is the only other and I'm staying away from vodacom.

cavedog

Honorary Master
I'll try it the next couple days and post my results. What other options are there? Vodacom Fibre is the only other and I'm staying away from vodacom.
Well Vodacom fibre is Open access now. You can choose Cool Ideas or Accelerit as an ISP and never deal with Vodacom.

hjst45

Anyone know whether Supersonic (MTN) has an unrestricted APN for VPN purposes?