Home-Connect ISP Feedback

Espee

I have been using Cipherwave / Home-Connect's 100/100Mbps package for the past two weeks and I have SADV (SA Digital Villages) as my fibre provider.

My experience thus far has been extremely positive. I have been seeing constant speeds of 95Mbps+ and my downloads on Steam, Origin, etc reaches 12MBps download speed easily.

I had to get SADV to install their ONT. They just tested that it is getting signal and were on their way. Home-Connect then couriered their Tenda FH307 router via overnoght shipping and I got it the next day. From there it is just plugging the ethernet cable from the ONT to the WAN port on the Tenda Router, logging into the router, entering your details and your up and running. The Tenda router has very good Wi-Fi reception, but only has 2.4GHz. I am forwarding the connection from the Tenda router to my own TP-Link D2 via it's WAN port so I can have 5GHz Wi-Fi and I have not seen any speed drop from this setup.

Here are some of my speedtests:

Attachments

Last edited:

Espee

I saw your post complaining on your performance with Home-Connect. It's really strange. The problem is definitely not with Home-Connect's network. It must be a local problem.

coop

For Vumatel, try the speedtest on the top of this page https://shop.vumatel.co.za/ it tests between your PC and the handover to the ISP. If you get full speed on that (or close to full speed) then the issue is with home connect. If not, the issue is either inside your own premises or in the vumatel fibre.

i.got~issues

Expert Member
For Vumatel, try the speedtest on the top of this page https://shop.vumatel.co.za/ it tests between your PC and the handover to the ISP. If you get full speed on that (or close to full speed) then the issue is with home connect. If not, the issue is either inside your own premises or in the vumatel fibre.
100/100Mbs account and international useless again;

659506086.png

6273528441.png

6273524902.png

6273535454.png

Last edited:

Espee

If you are not getting full speed using the ISP Handover it means there is something wrong with either the actual fibre or something in your home as @coop mentioned. Problem is not with Home Connect.

i.got~issues

Expert Member
If you are not getting full speed using the ISP Handover it means there is something wrong with either the actual fibre or something in your home as @coop mentioned. Problem is not with Home Connect.
Thanks.

It was all fine until the fibre died for 8 days. It took many phone calls and 3 days before Home-Connect agreed that there was a problem, they said there was nothing wrong during this time. A Vumatel technician came out here and found no problem at the house. It took another 5 days to get it up again... and since then it has been meh. Home-Connect support have said it is the router. 3 different routers later and no change.

What is left to do?

Espee

Thanks.

It was all fine until the fibre died for 8 days. It took many phone calls and 3 days before Home-Connect agreed that there was a problem, they said there was nothing wrong during this time. A Vumatel technician came out here and found no problem at the house. It took another 5 days to get it up again... and since then it has been meh. Home-Connect support have said it is the router. 3 different routers later and no change.

What is left to do?
I'm not sure. I would think to ask Vumatel to come make sure again, but you said you already cancelled and moved to another ISP? So you'll know soon enough if it is an ISP problem or something else.

coop

Thanks.

What is left to do?
From the local speedtest, your connection looks like a 50/50 connection, so maybe Vumatel put you on the wrong profile. But even with that connection, your international speeds should be much faster than your getting.

This is the local test on my 100/100 connection: http://netgauge.ookla.com/share/659772002.png

Assuming your speed tests are done with a PC connected via cable, there is clearly a problem. In this case, show the speed test to home connect. They will then have to deal with Vumatel to resolve the issue. If they can't, then changing ISPs to an ISP that can (such as Cool Ideas) is your best option.

I have contacted Home-Connect a few times about poor international speeds and I got some silly answer that speedtest.net is a very bad website to get your actually speed test, but on the same email they asked me to do a speedtest on the speedtest.net for a local server and send them the results, after I sent them the results I was told, "your line seems to be working 100% but we can't be bothered about what speeds you get outside of south Africa" I am extremely upset with Home-Connect and I am hoping to move to a better ISP or if Home-Connect are willing to fix the problem than they will be real value for money.

eddie26

Hey guys,

Just moved over to JHB so been lurking on this forum to select a Fibre ISP. Decided to register and write a post for anyone else looking for feedback on Home Connect.
I went with Home Connect due to their pricing. Note the adage " you get what you pay for" applies.

Home connect was slow with the application process. I had to drive every step of the application. The sales person was non-responsive. The stipulated installation time was 2-4 weeks due to Metrofibre needing to do their install.
Metrofibre was pretty quick and the delay was on the Home Connect side.

Due to delays in application they gave me two weeks free and that was only after I logged a Hello Peter complaint and asked them to cancel my application.

https://www.hellopeter.com/home-con...or-customer-service-and-communication-2260402

I thought I was in the clear however my connection has been down for 6 days now after using their service for less than a week. They have been better with communicating with me however "MetroFibre this...MetroFibre that..." is the go to excuse.
It seems like Home Connect passes on their business risk of dealing with MetroFibre on to the client which is not professional. They don't seem to stand behind their offering and in the end it is your problem.

In addition they control the router so something as simple as changing your Wifi password will have to be done by them.

I am now trying to get the 30 day wait period waived as service has been poor. I have basically used the service for a week (May 4th to May 11th) and I have run into problems already.

Gonna try Firestream and see how it goes.

Some people have had luck with Home Connect but I have had to raise my voice (and blood pressure lol), to get normal service. From my experience I would advise to stay away.

TL;DR: Home Connect is crap. Try elsewhere.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Not a lot of love for Homeconnect on myBB? What am I missing here?? I been subscribed to their 1Gbps package since 12h30 on the 17th of January 2019. Got to say, quite a lot has been very underwhelming while some has been absolutely mind boggling good!!

The elephant in the room though, continues to be international performance!

Anyway let me kick of proceedings with this little video I made...

cavedog

Honorary Master
Yeah saw no feedback.

Home-Connect
Supersonic
Macrolan
Atomic Fibre
Firestream
C-Fibre

These ISP's have basically no feedback or very little feedback. I just took a leap to Supersonic even though people said stay away from MTN and Supersonic and it's been joy from the get go.

Home-Connect actually scored 2nd on the best ISP Q4 2018 on mybroadband so surprised there isn't much feedback and you getting bad international speeds.

Yeah saw no feedback.

Home-Connect
Supersonic
Macrolan
Atomic Fibre
Firestream
C-Fibre

These ISP's have basically no feedback or very little feedback. I just took a leap to Supersonic even though people said stay away from MTN and Supersonic and it's been joy from the get go.

Home-Connect actually scored 2nd on the best ISP Q4 2018 on mybroadband so surprised there isn't much feedback and you getting bad international speeds.
Regarding Atomic, what feedback did you ask for and if I can help, what were you looking for? We do our best to respond to everyone.

At this stage we are only in Cape Town and on Octotel and Frogfoot fibre networks, so our marketing and PR are focused on those areas. We are working on expanding but it's not like plugging in a game cartridge if you get me,