Home-Connect ISP Feedback

SureThing

Run a speedtest here https://www.speedtest.net/ to a server closest to you and to Coreix-london.
Results: from my cellphone while 2 kids playing fortnite and other one watching YouTube.
Cool ideas wss closest server locally.
And Coreix as per your instructions.

International is quite pathetic and local server is not close to what Im paying for on HC 50/50. So whats the verdict?

tkburn

Results: from my cellphone while 2 kids playing fortnite and other one watching YouTube.
Cool ideas wss closest server locally.
And Coreix as per your instructions.

International is quite pathetic and local server is not close to what Im paying for on HC 50/50. So whats the verdict?
So this is the same as my experience and many many others, try testing with a VPN now to see if it improves your international speeds.

Also your local ping seems quite high , are you in JHB? your local speeds are not great either

SureThing

So this is the same as my experience and many many others, try testing with a VPN now to see if it improves your international speeds.

Also your local ping seems quite high , are you in JHB? your local speeds are not great either
Im based in CT. The vpn was auto selected via the speedtest and results within a minute changed but both sets pathetic. Does this mean I should jump ship from HC?

Shpongle

Value for money on a 200/100 line? If I downgrade to a 20 meg line they will probably throttle me to 2-3 megs.:cautious:

1c.jpg

cavedog

Honorary Master
When I hears slow international but local is fine I know packet loss on the line is likely the culprit....

tkburn

When I hears slow international but local is fine I know packet loss on the line is likely the culprit....
Ive run tracert on that route and I'm not detecting any packet loss. Also only the download speeds are affected , the upload speeds are 100%

cavedog

Honorary Master
Ive run tracert on that route and I'm not detecting any packet loss. Also only the download speeds are affected , the upload speeds are 100%
Home Connect is a reputable ISP I would be shocked if they did that. To shape you need hardware to do it. The ISPs that were way back then when ADSL was the only thing booming might have this hardware because of IPC costs. Makes zero sense to shape or throttle intentionally today. These poor speeds are probably an issue with loss on the line or loss from the area on the FNO or maybe a congested NNI but then more people will complain. Possibly a transit link that is lossy but that would likely affect local too.

As for shaping or throttling I'm pretty sure that is not it.

tkburn

Home Connect is a reputable ISP I would be shocked if they did that. To shape you need hardware to do it. The ISPs that were way back then when ADSL was the only thing booming might have this hardware because of IPC costs. Makes zero sense to shape or throttle intentionally today. These poor speeds are probably an issue with loss on the line or loss from the area on the FNO or maybe a congested NNI but then more people will complain. Possibly a transit link that is lossy but that would likely affect local too.

As for shaping or throttling I'm pretty sure that is not it.
I don't know what it is, but there are many complaints from many others using various fno's with HC. Also why does using a VPN unlock full international speeds?

cavedog

Honorary Master
I don't know what it is, but there are many complaints from many others using various fno's with HC. Also why does using a VPN unlock full international speeds?
Because tcp retransmits happen at 4-20ms compared to 160ms with direct connection.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Also testing to Vodafone or Vox in London is fruitless test as that traffic is just handed over at Teraco to Vox or Vodacom so it's not even going over Home Connects international transit... A trace route will confirm this.

Look I'm not saying HC is not in the wrong here I'm just saying personally I don't believe it's throttling rather something else that is wrong.

Shpongle

Also testing to Vodafone or Vox in London is fruitless test as that traffic is just handed over at Teraco to Vox or Vodacom so it's not even going over Home Connects international transit... A trace route will confirm this.

Look I'm not saying HC is not in the wrong here I'm just saying personally I don't believe it's throttling rather something else that is wrong.
Thanks for your insights, what do you advise we do to try to get to the bottom of our poor international performance?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Thanks for your insights, what do you advise we do to try to get to the bottom of our poor international performance?
Well it's something HC would need to work with you to find the loss and then take it from there. If it's the cable provider tackle them. If it's on their side then they need to be honest about that and admit they are attending to it.