Skyworth Binge Android TV box

Skyworth Digital Support

Skyworth
Company Rep
Good question. I'd also like to know. You should be able to, as it's Chromecast certified; but that didn't work with Netflix so who knows
Netflix requires a Netflix certified device for casting, as it triggers the Netflix App. YouTube works in a similar way - you don't cast YouTube from your phone, instead the YouTube app launches. This normally results in better picture quality, as you're not downloading to the box through your phone.

Skyworth Digital Support

Skyworth
Company Rep
Android 9 is the end of the road according to a forum member for these and similar boxes ( Xiaomi Mi Box S , Telkom Lit Box ) with the Amlogic S905X SoC , right ?
Most likely, but I can ask our team to query Amlogic for a official position, but it would be normal not to have an update beyond Pie.

Gamer

Expert Member
If I do that the box goes into Safe Mode, so In order to fix that, I need to unplug. I must add that I am also on a 5Ghz network. One issue I have found with 5Ghz, is only certain channel bands are supported by the Skyworth Box, so I have had to manually set my channels on the router, or it does not pick up the 5Ghz signal.

I hope that helps.
@markfreebs and @Skyworth Digital Support, I am battling to get my new Binge box to connect to my 5Ghz wifi, what channels does the box support please?

Skyworth Digital Support

Skyworth
Company Rep
@markfreebs and @Skyworth Digital Support, I am battling to get my new Binge box to connect to my 5Ghz wifi, what channels does the box support please?
We support the Standard SA channels channels (pretty much the EU standard, and within the bands 5.15 - 5.35GHz and 5.47 - 5.825GHz). However, note that WiFi at 5GHz has a lot more trouble penetrating things like walls and other obstacles, and due to design limitations on the physical size of the box, it's physical position will be much more critical than with 2.4Ghz. Channel 34-50 should be your best bet.

Gamer

Expert Member
We support the Standard SA channels channels (pretty much the EU standard, and within the bands 5.15 - 5.35GHz and 5.47 - 5.825GHz). However, note that WiFi at 5GHz has a lot more trouble penetrating things like walls and other obstacles, and due to design limitations on the physical size of the box, it's physical position will be much more critical than with 2.4Ghz. Channel 34-50 should be your best bet.
Thanks @Skyworth Digital Support , I'll have to do some testing as I discovered last night that I could not get the box to connect to my 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz networks. It would find the networks in a search, I would attempt connection with correct password and after some time of attempting to connect, get an error message that the network "could not be found". Then it promptly lists the network as available to connect to again and the process repeats itself. Same result for both 5 and 2.4 networks. From day one (I only got it on 11 June) I've plugged the box in via ethernet and I've only recently tried to connect via wifi for a particular reason, to discover the box might have wifi issues.
Any suggestions?

Skyworth Digital Support

Skyworth
Company Rep
Thanks @Skyworth Digital Support , I'll have to do some testing as I discovered last night that I could not get the box to connect to my 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz networks. It would find the networks in a search, I would attempt connection with correct password and after some time of attempting to connect, get an error message that the network "could not be found". Then it promptly lists the network as available to connect to again and the process repeats itself. Same result for both 5 and 2.4 networks. From day one (I only got it on 11 June) I've plugged the box in via ethernet and I've only recently tried to connect via wifi for a particular reason, to discover the box might have wifi issues.
Any suggestions?
Are you able to connect to any other WiFi network with the box? Say from a nearby cell phone hotspot? Normally that behaviour indicates authentication has failed for some reason. Please also check you don't have a blacklist/whitelist on MAC addresses. There will be a separate MAC for the WiFi and ethernet adapters. If it is still not working, drop us a mail at support@myskyworth.com and we'll see what we can do.

Gamer

Expert Member
Are you able to connect to any other WiFi network with the box? Say from a nearby cell phone hotspot? Normally that behaviour indicates authentication has failed for some reason. Please also check you don't have a blacklist/whitelist on MAC addresses. There will be a separate MAC for the WiFi and ethernet adapters. If it is still not working, drop us a mail at support@myskyworth.com and we'll see what we can do.
Thanks, I'll try a cellphone hotspot now. No mac filters on my router, will double check all settings though.

minerva

Does anyone know of an Android TV version of the Netflix app that works on this box? I have only managed to find a tablet version and controls with the remote are rubbish.

Gamer

Expert Member
Any suggestions?
Some feedback on this. Email support was fantastic with info and response times. Bottom line, all is well with my box. Turns out wifi does not connect if a working ethernet connection is connected at the same time. Seems an obvious thing to check for but I didn't really think of it as no previous box I've owned operated like this.

Obronie

Some feedback on this. Email support was fantastic with info and response times. Bottom line, all is well with my box. Turns out wifi does not connect if a working ethernet connection is connected at the same time. Seems an obvious thing to check for but I didn't really think of it as no previous box I've owned operated like this.
I have seen this with other TV Boxes.

Gamer

Expert Member
I have seen this with other TV Boxes.
I am sure they exist, my first time experiencing one. A bit more intuitive info from the box would be helpful. Currently with ethernet plugged in and connected, it will scan and find available wifi networks. It will ask for a password if you choose to connect to one. It accepts the password and attempts to connect but then finally fails with "Can't find XYZ network".

Skyworth Digital Support

Skyworth
Company Rep
I am sure they exist, my first time experiencing one. A bit more intuitive info from the box would be helpful. Currently with ethernet plugged in and connected, it will scan and find available wifi networks. It will ask for a password if you choose to connect to one. It accepts the password and attempts to connect but then finally fails with "Can't find XYZ network".
We've noted this feedback, thanks. It may or may not be easily customisable within stock Android.

joshuatree

Expert Member
Makro increased the price of the Skyworth Binge Android TV Box to R999. Incredible connection will probably follow with pricing.

At this price the Telkom Lit Box is better value for R1099.

Dolby

Honorary Master
At this price the Telkom Lit Box is better value for R1099.
It's always been better value :X3:

Even at the old Skyworth pricing, a few hundred rand extra is hardly anything for the Netflix certification.

Aharon

Executive Member
It's always been better value :X3:

Even at the old Skyworth pricing, a few hundred rand extra is hardly anything for the Netflix certification.
Out of interest where does one get lit box?

Dolby

Honorary Master
Out of interest where does one get lit box?
Telkom and Telkom Direct stores have them .

Look - we all have different needs, but for me personally, I'll happily spend R200.00 or R300.00 extra to get the certification. It means not having t try different versions and side-loading and mobile interfaces. Aside from all that, Netflix plays in UltraHD (4K) if the content is available.

Segg

Expert Member
So I've got 2 very annoying issues

When streaming most media with Plex, there is no sound unless I force the server to encode the stream, this is super annoying as my media now isn't click and play :confused:

And my remote just randomly stopped working out of the blue about a week ago :rolleyes: new batteries and factory reset etc did nothing to solve this, so now I'm without a remote