Skyworth Binge Android TV box

Louis Marx

The fixes aren't ported to Oreo at this stage - it's quite a bit of effort to maintain parallel builds. Additionally Google will not allow us to certify an Oreo build at this point and the process of doing so would be problematic.

What we have noted, however, is that Android 9.0 is a smaller step than 8.0 in a lot of ways, and the build is already quite stable.
Do you perhaps have an ETA for the update? Or maybe a Beta that we can test?

Skyworth Digital Support

Skyworth
Company Rep
Do you perhaps have an ETA for the update? Or maybe a Beta that we can test?
We have a couple of major bugs that are blocking start of certification right now, so once we can reproduce these in the right conditions and fix them, we can start certification. Certification can take a month or two, so we cannot give a firm release date.

We don't have an easy way to revert to Android 8.0 at this stage, so updating to Android 9.0 would be a one way trip, with all bets off. Also note that the debug builds are not Google certified, so DStv Now and other apps that require Google certification will not work. That being said, if you are currently using a wired connection and don't mind the risk, drop us a mail and we may be able to add you to our beta group.

joshuatree

Expert Member
Any problems with this box still where the remote batteries drain exceptionally quickly ?

Skyworth Digital Support

Skyworth
Company Rep
Does a flash drive get recognised as additional device storage if needed ?
You have a couple of options - you can format a memory stick or other storage device to expand the available storage on the unit, or you can use external device as a read only storage - normally for content.

Akirky

Expert Member
You have a couple of options - you can format a memory stick or other storage device to expand the available storage on the unit, or you can use external device as a read only storage - normally for content.
Is the read only storage something you can correct in Android 9?

Reaper84

Expert Member
My remote is fine but the device itself still randomly switches on and off. Must take a video of it doing it as well. That blue light is like a police light sometimes :confused:

SoFrustrated

I want to buy this Skyworth box at Takealot but I need clarification on two things:
a) Will Skype work on it? (Skype requires at least ARMv7 and I struggle to figure out if this box is there); and
b) Will the remote still work if the box is mounted behind the TV. I've heard that I may need line of sight but that with certain new boxes it won't be necessary. Or will I need an IR extender?

ooogz

Expert Member
I want to buy this Skyworth box at Takealot but I need clarification on two things:
a) Will Skype work on it? (Skype requires at least ARMv7 and I struggle to figure out if this box is there); and
b) Will the remote still work if the box is mounted behind the TV. I've heard that I may need line of sight but that with certain new boxes it won't be necessary. Or will I need an IR extender?
Mine sits behind my TV and the remote works fine

Skyworth Digital Support

Skyworth
Company Rep
My remote is fine but the device itself still randomly switches on and off. Must take a video of it doing it as well. That blue light is like a police light sometimes :confused:
This should not happen. Please disable HDMI CEC from the settings menu and let us know if it changes.

Skyworth Digital Support

Skyworth
Company Rep
As far as we are aware Skype does not support Android TV at this time.

The remote connects by Bluetooth, and IR is not used on this unit.

SoFrustrated

As far as we are aware Skype does not support Android TV at this time.

The remote connects by Bluetooth, and IR is not used on this unit.
Thank you for the response. I'm a little confused. Does the Skyworth Binge TV box use Android TV software? I've used Skype on other Android Boxes, and thought that the android on the boxes were different from the android on the TV's.