Skyworth Binge Android TV box

lexor

Expert Member
And my remote just randomly stopped working out of the blue about a week ago :rolleyes: new batteries and factory reset etc did nothing to solve this, so now I'm without a remote
Same happened to me and Skyworth support told me to reconnect my remote - it worked.

Go to settings
Scroll down to "add accessory"
and then reconnect your mouse with box

Luckily I had another remote lying around to to above.

Segg

Expert Member
Same happened to me and Skyworth support told me to reconnect my remote - it worked.

Go to settings
Scroll down to "add accessory"
and then reconnect your mouse with box

Luckily I had another remote lying around to to above.

Tried this already, but when pressing the 2 buttons on the remote during the pair, nothing happens... have to use the Android Remote App on my phone to do anything

Dolby

Honorary Master
I wonder if the Telkom LIT remote will work with one of these?

Louis Marx

We're getting closer to a stable build. LED control is coming(you'll be able to disable the LED if you want), and variable frame rates is being tested. We're not sure we can get it working on 9.0 just yet, but we're still looking into it.
That is very exciting news. Are you testing the variable frame switching on oreo? Would it be possible then to have a choice to stay on oreo with a few fixes or move on to pie?

Skyworth Digital Support

Skyworth
Company Rep
That is very exciting news. Are you testing the variable frame switching on oreo? Would it be possible then to have a choice to stay on oreo with a few fixes or move on to pie?
The fixes aren't ported to Oreo at this stage - it's quite a bit of effort to maintain parallel builds. Additionally Google will not allow us to certify an Oreo build at this point and the process of doing so would be problematic.

What we have noted, however, is that Android 9.0 is a smaller step than 8.0 in a lot of ways, and the build is already quite stable.

Dolby

Honorary Master
If Netflix is a requirement , then a definite yes.

For that price the Xiaomi Mi Box is an option too.
+1

Though, if I can add my 2c ... it also has an Ethernet port, so there's no USB <> Ethernet adapter to be purchased additional (which takes your only USB port too)

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Android 9 is the last Android OS the chipset company, Amlogic will support on these S905x devices.
You need an Amlogic S905x2 or S922x(3x faster than S905x) chipset device to get up to Android R updates.

S922x + LibreELEC(Linux Kodi, also supporting 1080p Netflix) + SSD storage + Magisk(to get Google Certified) is the way forward and already available in devices like the Khadas Vim3(that will ship in a month's time).
8GB storage(with less than 5GB available) is way too small to still use in 2019.
Just learned about the Khadas VIM 3.

Very tempting.

$99.99 for the 2GB version and $139.99 for the 4GB version. Plus you get 3 free accessories if ordered now.

Khadas.jpg

K3NS31

Expert Member
What's with the worries about android versions.
IMHO if it is on android 6 and netflix etc works and it plays x264/265 whatever, who cares?
This. By the time you're looking at USD 100+ then you could have had a Raspberry pi (2GB version should be enough for a KODI front-end player) + a Chromecast for Netflix. In fact that was my setup until the Skyworth went on special for very cheap on the ebucks store recently.

kolaval

Expert Member
When the mi box was on Android 6 it was fine. Now it's on 8?
Still fine, still plays everything I care about.

alqassam

Expert Member
This. By the time you're looking at USD 100+ then you could have had a Raspberry pi (2GB version should be enough for a KODI front-end player) + a Chromecast for Netflix. In fact that was my setup until the Skyworth went on special for very cheap on the ebucks store recently.
But then you can load terrarium type apps

Dolby

Honorary Master
When the mi box was on Android 6 it was fine. Now it's on 8?
Isn't the worry about the differences Android mobile or Android TV ?
10 ft interface and built for TV remote control navigation?

So yea, it'll work the same - but I think the experience is going to be different

Dolby

Honorary Master
Android 9 is the last Android OS the chipset company, Amlogic will support on these S905x devices.
I thought the same thing ... but I've heard different recently.

Do you have a link ?