Skyworth Binge Android TV box

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Thank you for the response. I'm a little confused. Does the Skyworth Binge TV box use Android TV software? I've used Skype on other Android Boxes, and thought that the android on the boxes were different from the android on the TV's.
There are several stock, non-Android TV, Android TV boxes on the market which behaves like vanilla Android, but many have their own launchers to change the UX in accordance with the product. These Android TV boxes use the standard Google Play Store.

EDIT

For example:

Beelink sells Android TV boxes, some are vanilla Android with custom launchers and others are Android TV,

http://www.bee-link.com/portal.php?mod=list&catid=21

In their case, the vanilla Android versions don't have certs in regard to streaming certain, a-hem, licenses where their Android TV versions do.

You can also install a custom launcher on Android TV.

Last edited:

Dolby

Honorary Master
Thank you for the response. I'm a little confused. Does the Skyworth Binge TV box use Android TV software? I've used Skype on other Android Boxes, and thought that the android on the boxes were different from the android on the TV's.
You get two flavors of Android... Android TV and vanilla Android for phones.

Android TV has its own app store with apps only for Android TV - there's less than 4,000. But it's 4,000 proper Android TV apps. It doesn't contain Skype to my knowledge.

The other lower cost boxes will run Android for mobile phones and have millions of apps available... Including Skype. But they're made for a phone and rather crappy to use.

Skyworth Digital Support

Skyworth
Company Rep

joshuatree

From Makro's website for R999 :

On Promotion

This product is on offer for a limited time only. Save now while stocks last
Promotion ends 29 July 2019

-------------

I seriously don't hope they plan to increase the price any further. If indeed , then the new Ematic or Xiaomi Mi S becomes an even bigger no-brainer.

danny0

R437.40 on Ebucks Level 5.

Thinking of getting this as a second box for kids toy room or for my bedroom.
Just need to confirm if apk can be sideloaded, such as terrarium, showbox, cyberflix etc?

kyton

Expert Member
R437.40 on Ebucks Level 5.

Thinking of getting this as a second box for kids toy room or for my bedroom.
Just need to confirm if apk can be sideloaded, such as terrarium, showbox, cyberflix etc?
Yip they do work

danny0

So I got mine delivered from EBucks today. Haven't played much with it but I must admit that it's more than I expected thus far, especially for the price.
One issue I seem to be having though - I've sideloaded 3 apps and from the 3 only 1 appears under apps when I hit the apps button on the remote or select apps from the home screen. If I go to apps via settings the other 2 apps can be found and opened, which is a schelp.

Is there a solution to this?

Gamer

Expert Member
So I got mine delivered from EBucks today. Haven't played much with it but I must admit that it's more than I expected thus far, especially for the price.
One issue I seem to be having though - I've sideloaded 3 apps and from the 3 only 1 appears under apps when I hit the apps button on the remote or select apps from the home screen. If I go to apps via settings the other 2 apps can be found and opened, which is a schelp.

Is there a solution to this?
This happens with my nvidia shield and my skyworth.
You can use something like sideload launcher (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.tv.sideloadlauncher).

dewitto

Hi got myne today happy BUT and big BUT connected to LAN and then wanted to setup wifi hotspot and you can't WHY my old low budget device MYGIGA 495 could do you. Please guys this is standard android functions sort out please.

Gamer

Expert Member
Hi got myne today happy BUT and big BUT connected to LAN and then wanted to setup wifi hotspot and you can't WHY my old low budget device MYGIGA 495 could do you. Please guys this is standard android functions sort out please.
Wifi appears to be disabled once you plug in an ethernet cable.

Skyworth Digital Support

Skyworth
Company Rep
This is not in fact a standard Android TV function, and we provide stock Android TV. Android ASOP devices can provide this function because they are not Android TV. While it may be possible to add this functionality in, we would have to evaluate it and it might break our Google certification. Unfortunately, we do not have time for this process before our next certification round with Android TV 9.0, so it is unlikely this feature will be added.

joshuatree

This is not in fact a standard Android TV function, and we provide stock Android TV. Android ASOP devices can provide this function because they are not Android TV. While it may be possible to add this functionality in, we would have to evaluate it and it might break our Google certification. Unfortunately, we do not have time for this process before our next certification round with Android TV 9.0, so it is unlikely this feature will be added.
This sounds promising. When can Android Pie be expected and would this then be the end of the road concerning updates ?

When can we expect newer/upgraded specs on these kind of Android TV boxes ? They ( Skyworth Binge , Aiwa , Xiaomi Mi S , Ematic , Telkom Lit ) all have the same SoC and storage etc.

joshuatree

I see it is on promotion for R829 at Makro for 12 Augustus only. I don't get why the Xiaomi Mi S and Ematic only sell online via Makro.

Skyworth Digital Support

Skyworth
Company Rep
This sounds promising. When can Android Pie be expected and would this then be the end of the road concerning updates ?

When can we expect newer/upgraded specs on these kind of Android TV boxes ? They ( Skyworth Binge , Aiwa , Xiaomi Mi S , Ematic , Telkom Lit ) all have the same SoC and storage etc.
Android Pie is nearly stable, but we're not able to give firm timelines yet. Android TV 9.0 is the last supported version on this platform, but security updates and bug fixes are not out of the question.

We may bring more models in, but we our roadmap is currently under revision, so I cannot give you any specifics.

isie

Honorary Master
Android Pie is nearly stable, but we're not able to give firm timelines yet. Android TV 9.0 is the last supported version on this platform, but security updates and bug fixes are not out of the question.

We may bring more models in, but we our roadmap is currently under revision, so I cannot give you any specifics.
can you maybe provide a changelog of all the updates and fixes since release.
There are a few things that were issues that were probably resolved by now?
(NTFS for example)

joshuatree

It would be cool in terms of bragging rights if this box receives Android Pie ahead of the Xiaomi Mi S , Nology boxes and any new MyGica Android TV box etc.

Forget about the Netflix issue. Kick some sand into the eyes of the Xiaomi Mi fan boys.