Telkom 512Kbps ADSL speed upgrades begin

Has your 512Kbps ADSL line been upgraded to 1Mbps?

• Yes

Votes: 31 58.5%
  • No

Votes: 22 41.5%

• Total voters

boramk

Bammed
We've come a long since 2005 when 512kbps was R477. Now 1mbps for R326 :)

Joe Average

Pinky, how bout those 20Mbps lines you promised us ? Or is your network too much up the creek ?

ruan567

I wonder if they'll upgrade the 8Mbps lines now as well. I've been waiting for ages for something faster.

D

Deleted member 78630

The vast majority of ADSL subscribers are using 384kbps, and this is where the speed upgrade should be happening.
The population of ADSL users are split 50/50 between 384kb and 4mb users.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Now, not to be a party-pooper and rain on everyone's parade, but wouldn't it have been substantially wiser to upgrade 384 - 1Mb and 512 to 2.5Mb?

This whole < 1Mbps internet access in ZA thing is still pretty embarrassing :eek:
That would have been great... however there are way more people on the 384k profile then the 512 profile. So if they did like you suggest this could impact the network quite heavily. I be that this upgrade is just a tester to see how many people move on to that profile, I think lots of people will.

skusku

Actually Pinky should be ashamed. This is pathetic!

/Pinky only downloads 20kb emails at a time :)

Now you guys tell me why u even need 100mb of data every month???.... but you get 5gb and you still complain! LMAO

Necuno

Court Jester
Telkom 512Kbps ADSL speed upgrades begin

ADSL subscribers begin to report that their DSL512 lines have been upgraded to 1Mbps
I do pray that wisdom will also follow the 'shoot from hip' upgrade and the IPC/Network will also enjoy an upgrade. It's no use when that as a whole can only effectively support for example 100gb/s and we are tying to force fed 200gb/s.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
If your line hasn't been upgraded, call 0800375375 and ask them to upgrade it.

Method

Executive Member
Just a wee bit off topic here: Does anyone know what the link is to check if your exchange supports 10mbps? :p

inferno

Now, not to be a party-pooper and rain on everyone's parade, but wouldn't it have been substantially wiser to upgrade 384 - 1Mb and 512 to 2.5Mb?

This whole < 1Mbps internet access in ZA thing is still pretty embarrassing :eek:
If 384k users want better speeds they need to pay up. Telkom and other experts have already stated that 384k was being sold at close to cost (10mb costs Telkom the same as 384k), so it makes absolute sense that Telkom try and get them to upgrade.

384k subscribers need to get with the program and stop expecting everything for free.

jtr

No, they're not. You pay the same price per gig regardless of how fast your line speed is.
Thats not entirely true. Cybersmart charges differ based on the speed of the line.
So if you do have 512K line upgraded to a higher band - they will probably start charging you more, once they detect it. Moral here is, avoid Cybersmart and go with a real ISP.

Cybersmart TOS:
#8. If you make a mistake and say that you have a 192Kb service installed but you
in fact have a 512Kb circuit installed, don't worry, you need not phone in and
tell us, our system will detect it and your price will be adjusted to the price
advertised for the correct circuit speed.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
If 384k users want better speeds they need to pay up. Telkom and other experts have already stated that 384k was being sold at close to cost (10mb costs Telkom the same as 384k), so it makes absolute sense that Telkom try and get them to upgrade.

384k subscribers need to get with the program and stop expecting everything for free.
At least not until their network can handle it, which won't be any time soon. Some exchanges are already congested, I can only imagine what would happen if (probably) 80% of DSL subscribers got a speed increase.

Agreed re paying up. It's not like the rest of us are getting these speeds at a bargain.

skusku

I dont believe it for a moment that Telkom is paying close to cost price for 384k! NEVER NEVER NEVER

Grouter

Expert Member

Compare what Telkom charges to what any other telco in the world charges for ADSL and I think you may find you'll need to rephrase that statement. 384 users do not expect "everything for free" as you put it. They want value for money, as do we all, and they don't get it. And if 384 costs the same as 10Mb, then what's the big deal? Put us all on 10 Mb FFS.

It pains me to have to pay R326 for 1024 speed when I was paying R152 for 384. But ce' la vie, I'll pay 'cos I don't have a choice. Telkom have me by the short and curlies.