Telkom 512Kbps ADSL speed upgrades begin

Has your 512Kbps ADSL line been upgraded to 1Mbps?

• Yes

Votes: 31 58.5%
  • No

Votes: 22 41.5%

• Total voters

Necuno

Court Jester
I do pray that wisdom will also follow the 'shoot from hip' upgrade and the IPC/Network will also enjoy an upgrade. It's no use when that as a whole can only effectively support for example 100gb/s and we are tying to force fed 200gb/s.
aaah... Illusive Man has informed me that that is taken care of.

skusku

Compare what Telkom charges to what any other telco in the world charges for ADSL and I think you may find you'll need to rephrase that statement. 384 users do not expect "everything for free" as you put it. They want value for money, as do we all, and they don't get it. And if 384 costs the same as 10Mb, then what's the big deal? Put us all on 10 Mb FFS.

It pains me to have to pay R326 for 1024 speed when I was paying R152 for 384. But ce' la vie, I'll pay 'cos I don't have a choice. Telkom have me by the short and curlies.
Agree 100%. that is what my response was gonna be

Bosvark@

Expert Member
can they not just finish the 4096k upgrades FIRST and then carry on with the next projects...

MickeyD

RIP
can they not just finish the 4096k upgrades FIRST and then carry on with the next projects...
4096 -> 10240 requires physical network upgrades and equipment installations.

512 -> 1024 is a software change.

ebudae

Telkom needs to hurriedly dig a grave for their 384 lines, to call that pathetic speed broadband or even fast internet is like referring to a bicycle as rapid transport.

D

Deleted member 78630

LOL... nice thumbsuck, the overwhelming majority are on 384. Try 80:20
Are you by any chance related to Joseph Goebbels?

Have a look at this poll :

And various other polls suggest the same results. The difference isn't so drastic as many like to believe.

Not convinced? Then scroll down to the bottom of this link and you will find similar results:

http://mygaming.co.za/news/poll/index.html

Grouter

Expert Member

And various other polls suggest the same results. The difference isn't so drastic as many like to believe.

Not convinced? Then scroll down to the bottom of this link and you will find similar results:

Buddy, those are stats for gamers. You may not realise it but they do not comprise the majority of internet users in this country.

It's like I could say most people run core i7 rigs with 32 Gb ram and triple graphics cards, ''cos Steam's surveys say they do"

How about all the 'moms and pop's? Small businesses? I can say that in my little dorpie there are about 2000 adsl users and 1 is on 4 mbps. Yup - one. I know because a Telkom tech showed me at our local exchange.

Josef Goebbels, lol.

Speedster

Honorary Master
Buddy, those are stats for gamers. You may not realise it but they do not comprise the majority of internet users in this country.

It's like I could say most people run core i7 rigs with 32 Gb ram and triple graphics cards, ''cos Steam's surveys say they do"

How about all the 'moms and pop's? Small businesses? I can say that in my little dorpie there are about 2000 adsl users and 1 is on 4 mbps. Yup - one. I know because a Telkom tech showed me at our local exchange.

Josef Goebbels, lol.
+1

On another note, I wish Telkom would get a move on with their 10Mbps upgrades

politallycorrect

I've been upgraded in the rosebank area. phoned TKG and they said my line had two profiles and i was on the 512kb one so they changed it.

Shayd

Expert Member

Those are MyBB stats and MyGaming stats... a representative sample of the tech community sure but not of the country. Not an attack Crazy just an observation. Think how bad it must be in the general public when only half the Tech community is on 384.

Joexxi

Yeah Right!

Thanks Pinky, you are a magician. Turn the 512k line into 1mb and my 4mb line into 1mb. I like this. Remind me to move out of this country soon.:mad:

modprobe

Telkom needs to hurriedly dig a grave for their 384 lines, to call that pathetic speed broadband or even fast internet is like referring to a bicycle as rapid transport.
LOL. "Bicycle as rapid transport". Made my day :)

stroebs

Expert Member
I would move down to 1meg ADSL but the price difference between 1 and 4 (to 10) is just so narrow that it's pointless getting a line speed that is up to 10x slower for R80 or so less.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
I would move down to 1meg ADSL but the price difference between 1 and 4 (to 10) is just so narrow that it's pointless getting a line speed that is up to 10x slower for R80 or so less.
If you're on uncapped, you'll save quite a bit more than that on the uncapped package.