TRENDnet = no good

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
This post is half rant half inquiry - is there anyone that can recommend TRENDnet products because I have just about had it with them.

My first exposure to TRENDnet was a TDM-C400 ADSL Router which would choke as soon as you open 50 P2P connections over it. No firmware updates for it, replaced it with a D-Link and never looked back.

My second exposure was a TEW-423PI PCI Wireless-G network card that had the worst reception ever - even when fitted with 6dbi aerial it still had poor reception when compared to a similar D-Link card.

The third time I made the TRENDnet mistake was with a TEW-432BRP 4-port Wireless-G router. Initially it worked fine but after 3 months it started to overheat and you had to switch it off every now and then to avoid it from crashing.

The last time I got taken for a ride by TRENDnet was with a TEW-651BR 4-port Wiresless-N Router. Everything appeared to be fine but it wasted 3 hours of my life because it turns out it could not handle WEP/WPA passkeys that contains a $ (dollar sign). Like Pa$$key or $ecret123 - you could set them but never make a connection using them. This was enough and I logged an error on the TRENDnet site - they came back remarkably fast with a remarkably crap answer "Forward to engineers, maybe will be fixed in future firmware".

WTF kind of network equipment company are they trying to run here? Has anyone ever had a good TRENDnet product or is such a device an illusion? And why are these things being sold in such large volumes by sites like Take2? I mean, are there really more morons like me out there that gives a brand 3 or 4 chances? :confused:

Dean

Expert Member
Had very similar experiences with Trendnet products myself...

I was never lucky enough to buy one myself, but clients have often been sold these pieces of k@k.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
I'm the kind of guy that will give anything a few chances, especially if the price is right. But TRENDnet just aint worth it. I have had much better luck with D-Link and if you are on the cheap then IPtime/Zioncomm/Toto-Link is brilliant. But what ever you do stay away from TRENDnet, I mean, I told them about a crucial bug in their device and they had the audacity to say "maybe we'll fix it".

Know_hope

Guy's TrendNet switches are the worst of them all! we had 450+ deployed in our remote branches, on a monthly basis we are replacing 15 -20 of them.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Don't even talk to me about the TrendNet network over power thingies - they also don't work properly and are complete rubbish!

Dean

Expert Member
I really thought it was just me who saw issues with TrendNet - after this thread I have lost most respect for any company willing to push these products to their customers after seeing their return rate!

rph72

Executive Member
Thanks for the warning. I was considering buying one of their wireless 3G routers.

Beeeezo

TRENDnet the BEST.....By Far

WOW, I can’t believe.

I have been a Linksys man all my life, until i purchased my TRENDnet ADSL/ Modem router TEW-635BRM, I have since purchased the TEW-658BRM this being the new 300Mbps Modem Router, and its by far the BEST device i have ever used in terms of Performance and coverage.
I am dying to try the TEW-691GR, this is the FIRST 450Mbps Router available on the market. I WANT ONE... Gigabit ports at the rear and 450Mbps upfront wireless-N.

Guys I will never look at D-Link its Crap.....Netgear/OK, Linksys/Good, TRENDnet /The BEST.

I am a big gamer and we have used several Wireless devices in the past, as you know we all bring our own Routers etc..... we tested a D-Link device against the TRENDnet 300Mbps wireless-n 658BRM (Modem Router) and the TRENDnet unit outperformed the D-Link by 47%...that’s just insane..

TRENDnet fan for life...wait for the 450Mbps,,,it should be here by now.....heeee haaaaa...

Beeeezo

I purchased the TEW-691GR (450Mbps & 4 x GB Ethernet) this morning from Phoenix Software based in Rivonia, OK via their dealer channel rather, but still got the service im use to....cant wait to get it home to test.....Awesome.

This is a creamer.......Bring on my next gamers meet.

Dave

Beeeezo

TRENDnet is by far the best Wireless b/g/n technology out there. They do a huge range of Wireless and wired products AND complete networking solutions like: KVM Switches, ALL 10/100/1000 & PoE switches & cameras...MUST Check out the camera solutions they have all are IP driven with Motion detect, Day Night/ PTZ - Pan tilt zoom...
Call Phoenix Software they will direct you a reseller of TRENDnet.....Good Guys to deal with.

Enjoy.

Whats a TRENDnet?

:twisted:

Beeeezo

YOUR ON Bud, Lets get crackin......We will meet this weekend / Gamers boyz SO we will drill this unit big time...cant wait to see the thruput...

OK, you're on, I'll get a TEW-691GR and see if it is any good. But so help me god if its crap like 99% of all the other TrendNet junk out there I will be hunting you down and be the first person to use a TrendNet device for something successfully... putting it where the sun don't shine :)

Beeeezo

I was told the TRENDnet 3G/4G Mobile Router has a battery to keep it alive while outages "HELLO ESKOM" oooh **** they are raping us tonight 30% increase, unjustified especially with the Dir getting 507% salary increases last year...insane. ok back the 3G/4G router, maybe should get one for this winter ekse.....while in IC Incredible Connection i asked the sales guys wot they think is the better, he recommended the TRENDnet 3G for me....so maybe...nice for holidays,,hey it also has a car charger NICE....Gamers in the car...NICE.
Thanks for the warning. I was considering buying one of their wireless 3G routers.

Beeeezo

Talk to the guys at Phoenix Software, i think hes name is ... could be mistaken, Steve
He WILL sort you out......

Guy's TrendNet switches are the worst of them all! we had 450+ deployed in our remote branches, on a monthly basis we are replacing 15 -20 of them.

Sonic2k

Executive Member
I used to resell Trendnet products.. they're cheap junk... the routers in particular would just hang after a few days. Got myself a Linksys... never rebooted it once in 3 years!

Missedit

I've been pretty happy

Ok, so I'm not the most sophisticated when it comes to technology and stuff and usually end up getting my boyfriend to help me with the tech bits.

In saying that though, I am very proud to say that I set up both my wireless adsl router and my wireless access points all by myself. TrendNet is very easy to use and navigate around the menus. I have a 300mb router and 300mb access point that has been running non stop for the last two or three months with no problems in between.

I like feel sorry for the guys who haven't had much luck with TrendNet, cause I have been very happy with my 2 products so far and as a matter of fact am looking at their portable wireless 3G router for when I travel.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Mmm, a lot of first time posters here - and I am guessing they are all the same guy who is the importer of TrendNET products ?