MTN SuperSonic Feedback

cavedog

Honorary Master
So Openserve went live on 24 December 2018. I placed my order with SuperSonic on 25 December 2018. SuperSonic called me on 27 December 2018 to confirm my order and Tell me I don't have coverage :rolleyes: so when I told him check Openserve website coverage confirmed and account created and moved to installation team. Got an email from SuperSonic on 2nd January 2019 to confirm fibre line order placed with Openserve. Got a call today 7:30 - 4 January 2019 from Openserve to come and do the installation @ 9am.

Moving pretty fast imo but it's nice. I highly doubt they will do anything today because they need to pull the fibre from the pole to the flat and I think Openserve contractors do that not Openserve technicians.

I went with SuperSonic for the 100% free installation and 1 month free trial. No clawback or terms and I have in writing that should I wish to cancel I can do so without any penalties. I simply have to return the SuperSonic router. Seems like a solid deal.

EDIT: Installation was done by 11am 4 January 2019. SuperSonic supplied me with the pppoe details by 2pm on 4 January 2019 and SuperSonic Technician schedule to bring and install router on Sunday 6 January 2019 while I use MTN pppoe details in my B618 so long. Working really good so far.

SuperSonic
https://www.supersonic.co.za

Last edited:

blunt

Expert Member
I'd be interested to see how they are, have only heard bad things about them to be honest but not much about them on the MyBB forums.

blunt

Expert Member
I'd be interested to see how they are, have only heard bad things about them to be honest but not much about them on the MyBB forums.
To add, I was initially with MTN Fibre direct (before they merged with smart village to become supersonic) and the MTN fibre connection was great, almost no issues in the 6 months I was on them.

I moved to CISP for uncapped.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Fibre is installed now just waiting for Supersonic to come and install their router because they don't want to give me the pppoe details just yet.

The Openserve contractor did the install himself in 2 hours and it was a bit of a complicated setup with no previous line at the property at all and the flat being very far from the poll. I'm impressed.

@blunt Well they are giving free installation and setup with 1 month free to "try before you pay" with no terms and cancellation is free. I will be testing them throughly in my free month. I doubt they will be able to set me up today so maybe looking at getting a temp capped account just to do some tests. :)

blunt

Expert Member
Fibre is installed now just waiting for Supersonic to come and install their router because they don't want to give me the pppoe details just yet.

The Openserve contractor did the install himself in 2 hours and it was a bit of a complicated setup with no previous line at the property at all and the flat being very far from the poll. I'm impressed.

@blunt Well they are giving free installation and setup with 1 month free to "try before you pay" with no terms and cancellation is free. I will be testing them throughly in my free month. I doubt they will be able to set me up today so maybe looking at getting a temp capped account just to do some tests. :)
looking forward to many traceroutes and speedtests :)

cavedog

Honorary Master
I can already see issue with SuperSonic. They don't want to give me the pppoe details. They say the technician from SuperSonic must be the one to setup the router ect. I'm using a B618 which probably will be better than the garbage they will arrive with. Looks like I will have to wait until sometime next week for them. :(

cavedog

Honorary Master
SuperSonic has been great so far. Openserve has been great with the installation. I got the pppoe details smsed to me after I asked them nicely.

Now let the tests start :)

EDIT: Technician from SuperSonic phoned me and we arranged for Sunday morning because I can't do Monday as I'm at work. Not bad. They do weekends for people that can't do Monday to Friday. Very nice.

Last edited:

blunt

Expert Member
SuperSonic has been great so far. Openserve has been great with the installation. I got the pppoe details smsed to me after I asked them nicely.

Now let the tests start :)

EDIT: Technician from SuperSonic phoned me and we arranged for Sunday morning because I can't do Monday as I'm at work. Not bad. They do weekends for people that can't do Monday to Friday. Very nice.
Odd - it says right on their website FAQ's

May I install my own router?

Yes, you can:

• We can supply you with your own PPPoE credentials for you to set up.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Odd - it says right on their website FAQ's
They did not want but after that I insisted and another lady that actually knows her stuff gave me the details and a few minutes later the technician phoned me and said he will can see me on Sunday. I will check what router they have and how it compares to the B618. If it has 1Gbps and more than 4 ports I'm taking it.

So far torrents and all that jazz is maxing the line. Twitch does not buffer at all and EU gaming gives me between 160 and 170ms.

StoneCold

Expert Member
They did not want but after that I insisted and another lady that actually knows her stuff gave me the details and a few minutes later the technician phoned me and said he will can see me on Sunday. I will check what router they have and how it compares to the B618. If it has 1Gbps and more than 4 ports I'm taking it.

So far torrents and all that jazz is maxing the line. Twitch does not buffer at all and EU gaming gives me between 160 and 170ms.
Welcome to the Openserve fibre family :)

cavedog

Honorary Master
Welcome to the Openserve fibre family :)
Maxes out on like 98Mbps I'm guessing Openserve is more strict and include the overhead. When I was on A360 at my previous place I was always getting like 110Mbps download speed and A360 was a GPON too.

So far SuperSonic has been good. Will test as the days go on. Contractor that did the installation today quickly insisted to complete the installation today when I told him we can schedule for later due to the landlord going out out and we need to go through his yard to the poll. Guess January is hitting his pocket hard after December. My luck then because the 1 man crew did it in 2 hours and it was a complicated install. Hanging the fibre from my flat to the poll about 25m+ away and he had to hook it on the highest point on the roof for the cable not to sag too much.

So far so good but the Cellc Cfibre 200Mbps for R1599 still looks really good.

blunt

Expert Member
Maxes out on like 98Mbps I'm guessing Openserve is more strict and include the overhead. When I was on A360 at my previous place I was always getting like 110Mbps download speed and A360 was a GPON too.

So far SuperSonic has been good. Will test as the days go on. Contractor that did the installation today quickly insisted to complete the installation today when I told him we can schedule for later due to the landlord going out out and we need to go through his yard to the poll. Guess January is hitting his pocket hard after December. My luck then because the 1 man crew did it in 2 hours and it was a complicated install. Hanging the fibre from my flat to the poll about 25m+ away and he had to hook it on the highest point on the roof for the cable not to sag too much.

So far so good but the Cellc Cfibre 200Mbps for R1599 still looks really good.
Assume you are in JHB?

Mind posting an MTR / traceroute to:

microsoft.com
netflix.com
mail.google.com

:) thanks

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
I can already see issue with SuperSonic. They don't want to give me the pppoe details. They say the technician from SuperSonic must be the one to setup the router ect. I'm using a B618 which probably will be better than the garbage they will arrive with. Looks like I will have to wait until sometime next week for them. :(
Ask them after installing, and they will give it to you.
I don't blame them for this, as they are throwing in a bit for the installation. Too many idiot users will blame the ISP for their own shyte setup

I have been with them for 11 months already.
No issues, good speed for streaming

cavedog

Honorary Master
Assume you are in JHB?

Mind posting an MTR / traceroute to:

microsoft.com
netflix.com
mail.google.com

:) thanks
WierdaPark Centurion and installed in less than 2 weeks after going live on the Map. There was no Freeze period the contractor said he did installations on right through except for holidays.

Last edited: