cavedog

Honorary Master
Ask them after installing, and they will give it to you.
I don't blame them for this, as they are throwing in a bit for the installation. Too many idiot users will blame the ISP for their own shyte setup

I have been with them for 11 months already.
No issues, good speed for streaming

I did update the OP. They did sent me a SMS with the details and still scheduled a techie for Sudnay to give me the free router and set it up if I want or I can just keep on using my own. They also did a follow up call about 4pm to know if everything is working fine my side with my own router and if they can help me with anything. Impressed. :)

@blunt Posting the text like that is hard to read. I will update with screengrabs for better reading.

cavedog

Honorary Master

Done. Now thats better. :)

Are you using cool ideas and on Openserve? I see you are on 50/50 cool ideas on super sonic network.

Speedwise everything is pretty much full speed. p2p was running a public torrent and chugging along nicely @ 11Mb/s and started seeding @ 5MB/s when done. No throttling on anything.

Last edited:

cavedog

Honorary Master
So far so good. 500GB p2p usage I was delaying because of my Telkom LTE connection. and then 80GB general streaming and xbox/ps4 updates. Still completely unshapped and full speed. Gaming on xbox and pc is decent. 7-8ms ping on Battlefield 5 servers which is slightly higher than expected but the latency is coming from the Openserve network as I have tested Axxess and Vox and the latency is the same.

Very chuffed so far. If nothing changes then SuperSonic is really decent. If it stays like it is I would put them right up there with Cool Ideas.

Reactions: Yuu

cavedog

Honorary Master
As arranged SuperSonic Technician arrived and installed a Zyxel Wireless Gateway.

He set it up run a couple of speedtest on the mybroadband speedtest page and we greeted and off he went.

Just like Vodacom they have locked me out I can no change anything on the router like port forwarding and wifi password ect.... :rolleyes: Total garbage. Once you press the reset button you can set it up but once it gets internet access it disables the UI and you no longer have access. Very strange.

Let me stick with the B618 then. I did manage to reset the SuperSonic supplied Zyxel and set it up the way I wanted with pppoe passthrough enabled ect but the UI got disabled after a minute or so. Not so nice if I want to forward ports and stuff but nice router. Not going to use it though if the UI is disabled. The amount of airtime I will spend to phone supersonic call centre all the time to have something changed in the router. No thank you.

Last edited:

cavedog

Honorary Master
Really enjoying max speed on everything no matter that time no matter what.

2f39ad7c3c5d60df821a0d99d705b5a0.png

HibiscusTunes

Expert Member
I was considering supersonic previously, but this part put me off under their FTTH T&Cs
5.1 The Supersonic FTTH product offering is available on month-to-month contract terms with a claw back period of 24 (twenty four) months from initial contract term start for any inclusive promotional items, for example if a customer who receives a free Wi-Fi router and installation cancels the service before 24 (twenty four) months from initial start, the customer will be liable for a pro-rated retail price of these items in claw-back charges from the date the service has been terminated.

But those speeds you are getting are tempting me!

STORMERSFAN

Expert Member
I was considering supersonic previously, but this part put me off under their FTTH T&Cs

But those speeds you are getting are tempting me!
So then pay for your router and installation in cash and there wont be a clawback..they have to make a return on their investment..

HibiscusTunes

Expert Member
I now have fibre, and a router. Just not getting love from my ISP because of shaping and throttling.
I need unshaped and unthrottled speed, and the 100mbps deal from supersonic is way tempting.

cavedog

Honorary Master
I now have fibre, and a router. Just not getting love from my ISP because of shaping and throttling.
I need unshaped and unthrottled speed, and the 100mbps deal from supersonic is way tempting.

Those terms are not applicable to the new "Try for us for FREE" promo. I have confirmation via email that should I wish to cancel there will be NO clawback unless specifically specified in the agreement. It does not state any of that in my agreement. You can just drop them an email and have it in writing. The router needs to given back though and that clearly stats in my agreement.

This is my p2p usage since I got my line. Basically 4 days and I think it's a bit much but was delaying these downloads because of my previous connection. Still unthrottled and unshaped. Still full speed. This is just my utorrent stats and exclude my xbox and ps4 game updates and my pc streaming and stuff.

supersonic_p2p_usage.png

I'm not some Supersonic fanboi I mean I only just have the service for like 4 days but my usage is a bit high and the fact that it's still going strong and working well so far is pretty decent. If it stays like this I'm not planning on changing. I actually initially wanted to do C Fibre but their clawback was a bit heavy for me so decided to go with the first month try us Supersonic deal and looks like I made the right decision so far. :)

Last edited:

cavedog

Honorary Master
Ha okay so very sneaky of Nology and Supersonic. Hidden 2 security certificates in the Zyxel supplied router that locks me out of the UI. Deleted them and now I have access to the UI to portforward and set the router up like I want to set it up.

@Nology Don't do that. It's not nice. I'm not sure what agreement you have with supersonic but not cool locking people out so they can't even forward ports. Deleted those pesky certificates calling to nology server disabling the UI. :)

Last edited:

blunt

Expert Member
Seems like they've ditched the Smart Village network and stuck to the MTN direct network from your IP / traces.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Seems like they've ditched the Smart Village network and stuck to the MTN direct network from your IP / traces.

Well I'm not sure about Smart village but heard only bad thing about smart village.

So far no complaints about Supersonic

blunt

Expert Member
Well I'm not sure about Smart village but heard only bad thing about smart village.

Smart Village merged with MTN direct and that is where supersonic came from

noemfie

Been with Supersonic since Mid October , installation and setup was completed within a week from phoning them , had a great experience so far

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master

The installation was done by smartvillage last year in Feb. From about September last year, the billing comes from Supersonic.

dasdk

Ha okay so very sneaky of Nology and Supersonic. Hidden 2 security certificates in the Zyxel supplied router that locks me out of the UI. Deleted them and now I have access to the UI to portforward and set the router up like I want to set it up.

@Nology Don't do that. It's not nice. I'm not sure what agreement you have with supersonic but not cool locking people out so they can't even forward ports. Deleted those pesky certificates calling to nology server disabling the UI. :)
How did you delete these certs? From the router UI after reset?

cavedog

Honorary Master
How did you delete these certs? From the router UI after reset?

Unplug the WAN cable completely and just run the router on a lan cable to a pc or laptop.
login with default username and password. Default username is admin password is on the back of your router.

At the bottom hold the mouse on Security then click on Certificates.

There should only be 1 listed there. Delete it by clicking on the bin icon under modify section. Once that is done click on the Trusted CA tab on top. There should only be 1 certificate again and delete that one too.

Now you can configure the pppoe details and router as you wish it will no longer get the UI disabled. Follow these steps on each firmware upgrade or when you reset the router again in the future.

Once you login with default username and password you will be prompted to change the password immediately. That would be your password to login to the router in the future so remember it. Done. Been running my Zyxel for a while now and it's fine never got locked again. ;)

dasdk

Unplug the WAN cable completely and just run the router on a lan cable to a pc or laptop.
login with default username and password. Default username is admin password is on the back of your router.

At the bottom hold the mouse on Security then click on Certificates.

There should only be 1 listed there. Delete it by clicking on the bin icon under modify section. Once that is done click on the Trusted CA tab on top. There should only be 1 certificate again and delete that one too.

Now you can configure the pppoe details and router as you wish it will no longer get the UI disabled. Follow these steps on each firmware upgrade or when you reset the router again in the future.

Once you login with default username and password you will be prompted to change the password immediately. That would be your password to login to the router in the future so remember it. Done. Been running my Zyxel for a while now and it's fine never got locked again. ;)
Awesome thanks for the detailed steps